Keywords: Continuous Casting, Steel, Slab, Physical Modelling, Tundish, Mathematical Modelling, Fluid Flow, Heat Transfer, Mass Transfer, Instruction, Report
Continuous casting is a casting process that is used in the manufacturing industry to produce molten steel at the temperature of 1,600OC and converted into particular size of slabs. This modern casting process is used in many steel manufactures as it has superior quality of castings, less loss of material, cost reduction and high productivity rate over the cast ingot production .
The continuous slab casting is started by adding and mixture the basic raw materials such as steels, silicon, magnesium and other basic materials of steelmaking in the furnace. The steel has low carbon contained, which is below 2% of carbon in the steel. The process of continuous slab casting process begins with melting and mixing the raw materials in the furnace. The molten steel in the ladle is tapped out from the bottom of the ladle into the intermediate container called as tundish by gravitational force, which helps the filling the mold along the continuous steel casting. Additionally, the continuous slab casting process is required a large space for the casting operation due to the tundish alone is located approximately 250m above the ground level and it can hold several tones of steel. The roles of the tundish are to supply a certain constant amount of the ...
... middle of paper ...
...he principle numbers of Froude, Reynolds and Weber. Mathematical model predicts the heat and mass transfer in numerical framework for both transports phenomena of relevance to the industry continuous casting tundish system. Additionally, it has an excellent agreement outlet temperature respond the step input temperatures in the inlet stream of water in the tundish model. The simulations of 8x8 grid and 16x16 grid are applied to obtain significant difference between the TAV maps in which both grids are computed by software represent the specific flow of the fluid in the model and the steel caster as the actual size system. Therefore, the physical and mathematical modeling is used as a guidance to build a model before the prototype is constructed in terms of calculation, measurement and determination of specific fluid flow, heat and mass transfer in the water model.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In light with the modern industries, steel has been discovered to be the central supporting part of most manufacturing industries or production industries. Steel is a relatively cheap and versatile material used in the production of about every kind of good or machinery, and because of this steel is vital in the modern style of living and for the economic well-being. Additionally, because of the essential functions played by steel in general economic and infrastructural development, the steel industry on the other hand has often been considered as an indicative for prowess of an economy.... [tags: Steel Industry ]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- Entry into the car manufacturing industry involves overcoming high barriers; car manufacturing is a highly capital-intensive market, thus forcing new entrants to acquire large sums of capital simply to enter. This capital goes into purchasing a manufacturing plant, sophisticated equipment, raw materials and supplies, and the development of extensive supply chains. Additionally, they must invest in research and development. In economic terms, this last item is deemed a sunk cost because the firm must undergo the research and development/engineering expense prior to even selling a vehicle.... [tags: Automotive industry, Ford Motor Company]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- Question 1: Barriers to entry Entry into the car manufacturing industry involves overcoming steep barriers; car manufacturing is a highly capital-intensive market, thus forcing new entrants to acquire large sums of capital simply to enter. This capital goes into purchasing a manufacturing plant, sophisticated equipment, raw materials and supplies, and the development of extensive supply chains. (MarketLine, 2015) Additionally, car manufacturing firms must invest in research and development. In economic terms, this last item is deemed a sunk cost because the firm must undergo the research and development/engineering expense prior to even selling a single vehicle.... [tags: Automotive industry, Ford Motor Company, Renault]
1079 words (3.1 pages)
- BlueScope Steel Australia and New Zealand (BANZ) is a manufacturing company that produces a range of flat steel products for the Australian and New Zealand domestic market. BANZ was formed in July of 2011 which saw the amalgamation of company sections; Australia and New Zealand Steel Making Business (ANZSMB), LYSAGHT and Distribution Business. This amalgamation was followed by a major organisational restructure which ultimately led to the closing down of Number 6 Blast Furnace and resulted in around 800 job losses at the Port Kembla works and 200 job losses at the Western Port works in Victoria.... [tags: asia, steel, manufacturing]
2434 words (7 pages)
- American manufacture sector over the past few decades has been losing market shares to overseas companies due to lower labor and friendly or no environmental regulation. I have selected to review the article by Helmuth Ludwig and Eric Spiegel “America’s Real Manufacturing Advantage”. The manufacturing sectors in United States has rebounded since 2007 by boosting outputs, increasing exports, building new plants, and creating better paying jobs that require precise skills. The mentally of United States primarily generating revenues through services and finance, without much of manufacturing industry is changing through sustainable manufacturing resurgence which is based on software technology... [tags: Manufacturing, Industry, Industrial design]
1138 words (3.3 pages)
- Factory workers have always been seen as the backbone of America’s economy. Just some time ago the gritty employees would work day in and day out, callusing their hands and providing for their families. A once lively and busy factory is now one that is quiet and calm . Now, a cold steel machine routinely does the same work, replacing the live worker. It was to further the industry that this transition was made. While they were introduced to help their human co-workers, in some aspects it also set them back.... [tags: Manufacturing, Industrial Revolution, Error]
1271 words (3.6 pages)
- ... Plants in Bhilai and Bokaro were established with help from Soviet Union and Durgapur and Rourkela came up with British and West German partnership. Production Scenario of Iron and Steel Industry in India This industry is classified as heavy industry as all its raw materials are heavy and massive. They employ iron-ore, lime stone and coking coal in huge quantities. Efficient transport system to carry raw materials and finished product is a necessity. Also proximity to raw materials specially coal and iron are helps in economic production.... [tags: investment, infrastructure, manufacturing]
950 words (2.7 pages)
- Background . The first cast of duplex was made at Avesta in Sweden in 1930 when the idea of duplex stainless steels were subjected to discuss within industries. During last 30 years the duplex steels have been remarkably evolved and used in a significant way. The evolution in steel making techniques affected mainly to this take off. Duplex stainless steels is a combination of many of the beneficial properties of ferritic and austenitic steels. First duplex steel grades had a great performance characteristics as well as limitations.... [tags: grades, properties, processing]
1015 words (2.9 pages)
- INTRODUCTION: • Cotton making is one of the big business in Britain today with an annual turn over of 516 million pounds per year, the manufacturing of cotton making has a very large popularity as it spread across many countries .All these are a part of wider manufacturing system but on the whole we need to look at only one part, but the structure of the industry is also considered as an important part of the story. MANUFACTURING SYSTEM: • Lets start with the product manufacturing system which plays a key role on the direct demands of the cotton house.... [tags: Business Manufacturing]
1943 words (5.6 pages)
- The U.S. Steel Industry Steel trade has been an important industry, from a strategic perspective, as it U.S. weapons production, ship building, etc, …and from a national perspective, as steel is an important input for products like cars, washing machines, etc…Over the past 100 years, the U.S. steel industry has gone from producing 37% of the worlds steel to approximately 15%. Also since the 1960’s, the growth in steel production has leveled off due the increase in the use of plastics and the technological improvements in manufacturing.... [tags: Papers]
1398 words (4 pages)