• Task interdependence. If even just one student refuses to move, the management team will fail at its task. If there are one or a handful of students who are the unwilling to move, this can be a great time to talk about the types of task interdependencies (sequential, pooled, and reciprocal), what industries have high/low levels of interdependency, and how the main resisters can be successfully moved forward.
Students experience and then analyze core managerial challenges including resistance to change, motivation and low employee morale, and effective communication.
Students, many of whom are quite passive during the activity, are given an opportunity to reflect on their individual role with an effort that for most classes has fallen short.
Students have a shared, tangible experience which they are able to draw on when relating the course principles to organizational practices.
ONLINE ACTIVITY & EXAM FO...
... middle of paper ...
...ment and team building.
The presenter used this exercise as part of an exam review for an undergraduate Organizational Behavior course. The exercise is flexible enough to use in a wide variety of subjects.
Materials Needed and Preparation
The exercise requires five chairs for the four “bases” and the “pitcher’s mound”, and approximately 10 light baseballs (whiffle balls or bean bags work well), which students can easily throw and catch in a classroom environment.
Aims of the Exercise
The aim of the exercise is to allow students to review course content in a fun, interactive way. The exercise promotes teamwork and uses competition to spur learning.
Overview of the Exercise
The following is based on one game, taking place in a standard sized classroom. For large classes, the instructor could have multiple simultaneous games or use a playoff format – having
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Intro Allied Global Services is a privately held recruiting company with corporate headquarters in the Kansas City area and regional offices throughout America. Founded in 1966, Allied Global is celebrating their fiftieth year in business. During these fifty years, Allied Global has diversified their services and expanded their company. Allied Global Services creates and retains relationships with clients by identifying their needs and delivering solutions so they can grow and prosper. The management teams of Allied Global provide excellent customer service for sourcing and recruiting.... [tags: Employment, Recruitment, Management, Learning]
1668 words (4.8 pages)
- The other key skill that may prove to be transformative is by the CEO being a hands-on person. He needs to make sure that he tours most of the stores locally and oversees and to interact with the employees and management teams on the ground. Whereas the art of filing reports frequently that detail the progress made by every store may prove to be effective, being on the ground and observing the business as it runs is mandatory and utterly critical. The CEO may for instance be accompanied with other top management personnel for instance the vice presidents and departmental managers as they tour the sites where the different stores are located.... [tags: Decision making, Leadership, Critical thinking]
1354 words (3.9 pages)
- Arnulf, J. (2012). Organizational change capacity and composition of management teams: A visualization of how personality traits may restrain team adaptability. Team Performance Management, 18(7/8), 433-454. doi: 10.1108/13527591211281156 The author, from the Department of Organization and Leadership of the BI Norwegian Business School, studied ten management teams over three years. The purpose of the study was to examine the impact of personality traits, specifically strong personality traits, in terms of the ability of managers to adapt to changes.... [tags: Engineering, Professional Engineer, Management]
1582 words (4.5 pages)
- I read Management: Manage teams, lead effectively and build trust in the workplace. By Derek Stanzma. This book describes how to hire a good manager and strategies to help become a successful manager. It is to instruct a manager on how to help others to become sufficient in their job and to learn how to motivate others to give their best in their job duties. Also it gives tips for how to hire a good manager. As a manager you need to not only manage others, you need to know how to effectively instruct those you manage on completing their jobs.... [tags: Employment, Management, Self-sufficiency, Hire]
1312 words (3.7 pages)
- This paper clarifies the way of Participative Management using Self-Managed teams and the striking aspects of it. A working definition for Self-Managed team was given to lay the basis to comprehension the idea of society. Keeping in mind the end goal to further create this comprehension, the part of mental projects and qualities were talked about. Personal inclination, society and identity all make up a singular's mental program, yet it is the social piece that is an independently a scholarly characteristic structured by aggregate modifying.... [tags: delegation, team building]
571 words (1.6 pages)
- Explore ways to implement change for a successful integration of two staff teams within an organisation. Introduction Performance management combines effective management skills, planning, communication, action, assessment and reporting in order to maintain a constant cycle of improvement. This is to ensure that organisations achieve their objectives and local communities are receiving the best possible outcomes. The management issue I have chosen to investigate is in relation to the integration of the youth service team and the youth offending team into the Folkestone Youth Hub.... [tags: performance development, outcomes]
2274 words (6.5 pages)
- In this scenario with the Sandwich Blitz L.L.C., CEO Dalman is spending too much time and resources at operating locations. CFO Lei is dealing with numerous issues with financial matters. In order to effectively utilize time management and save money they can set up a virtual team environment with each of their store location managers as management teams to collaborate on the issues at hand in real time. Then Dalman can delegate the “gatekeeper “ role to the two newly positions as regional managers to handle the day to day inquires of each of their assigned location managers.... [tags: Management, Collaboration]
716 words (2 pages)
- In many government organizations and on project teams, there can be some confusion between what is management and what is leadership. As part of this construct, many project team members feel that the project manager (PM) is the leader of the team by the virtue or being labeled as the PM. However, leaders within the government perform some of the management tasks that most of the managers perform day-to-day tasks but also perform leadership duties as well and in this case leading and managing are completely different from each other and have different distinct responsibilities.... [tags: Management, Project management, Leadership]
965 words (2.8 pages)
- Introduction As organizations are becoming increasingly global, the need for efficient and effective project management tools is necessary in order to accomplish business goals and process objectives. The increase demand for human resource requires “cross-functional, and often cross-cultural, geographically dispersed project teams” (Beise, 2004). Human resources are continually increasing in skill, diversity and knowledge which can benefit cross cultural organizations. Organizations are always seeking a competitive advantage with their competitors.... [tags: Business Management ]
2287 words (6.5 pages)
- Developing Effective Work Teams When developing effective work teams, it is crucial to know the difference between a mere group and an actual team. A work group exists simply for the members of the group to share information and help each other perform their own individual responsibilities. Work groups are all about individual contributions instead of team effort, and thus the group is no greater than each individual’s personal input. A work team, however, functioning through coordination and cooperation, has the ability to create a positive energy greater than sum of its member’s individual inputs.... [tags: Team Management ]
1603 words (4.6 pages)