Management’s application of leadership is crucial in the continued drive to maintain employee engagement inside the company, as well as with suppliers. FedEx depends on engaged employees to execute operations at all levels. This commitment is tethered to the third element of FedEx’s mission; “FedEx will strive to develop mutually rewarding relationships with its team members, partners, and suppliers. Safety will be the first consideration in all operations (FedEx2, n.d.).” The company commissioned Real Time Performance (n.d.) to study and evaluate employee engagement through a “360-feedback” process. The study was commissioned to identify crucial leadership strengths and weaknesses, understand higher than normal turn-over rates and increase employee engagement in the FedEx Nacional division of the company. Insight gained from the study included understanding communication issues, motivating employees, and bridging the gap between employees and management. Although the study was undertaken in a particular division of FedEx, it embraces the leadership theory of management.
Leaders who know the overall mission, and effectively communicate the needs of the organization, garner employee understanding and engagement, which leads to improved productivity (AON, n.d.). Part of the role of leadership is to understand his or her employees, but it’s equally important, in a fast paced industry like air cargo, to listen to employees input and ideas. Entry and mid-level employees see the tactical side of the industry in a real sense. They see the “what and why” of a delay in movement of packages, or an aircraft’s departure, or something as simple as effective staging of support equipment. Effective leaders communicate with e...
... middle of paper ...
...etween employees, managers, and leaders. Communication is a two way street. Understanding the responsibilities of management and leadership, while imparting those skills on the workforce, can only be a positive aspect of employment with the organization.
FedEx is a multi-billion dollar corporation which provides air cargo and courier services worldwide. The organization implements the four functions of management; planning, organizing, leadership, and control in a phenomenal and extremely efficient process that realizes the delivery of over 11 million packages daily. Through the application of organizational alignment, a flattened hierarchy of leadership, and the largest commercial application of integrated information technology command and control, FedEx has positioned itself as a world leader in air cargo and courier service delivery.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Leadership and Management Application Nurses may encounter situations where they have to apply leadership and management skills. In this assignment, I have been able to think from a nurse manager perspective which members of the interdisciplinary team should be part of my patient’s plan of care as well as their functions. Also, I have explained what leadership style would be the best fit to manage my patient’s care as well as necessary changes to enhance my performance as a nurse manager. Finally, I have chosen a change theory to use as a framework to approach my patient’s needs and I have reflected on how this theory would help my team to accomplish our common goals.... [tags: Nursing, Health care, Leadership, Management]
1176 words (3.4 pages)
- STATEMENT OF PURPOSE Respected Sir/ Madam, In support of my application for the prestigious masters in management program of your school, I would like to use this opportunity to convey the relevance of the masters program to my goals, the reasons for my interest in ESSEC and as to why I would be a good fit at your school. Since childhood, I had a natural calling towards science. It was something which kept me motivated by letting my brain grow in finding new knowledge and heightening my level of inquisitiveness.... [tags: Management, Problem solving, Leadership]
946 words (2.7 pages)
- Do you want to succeed in the business world today. In order to succeed there has to be a concept understanding and application of basic business skills. Knowing the skills and also applying them establishes a foundation to grow on. A foundation to grow on increases the likelihood of future promotions or even the creation of one’s own business. So what are five basic business skills to consider. The five business skills are “communication, leadership, interpersonal, management, and organizing skills” (“Basic”).... [tags: Leadership, Management, Skill, Learning]
722 words (2.1 pages)
- How do we identify one as a manager or a leader. Leadership and management are closely interrelated with each other. A leader is described as someone who leads whilst a manager as someone who directs or who is in charge of something (Merriam-Webster) yet both definitions imply that someone follows. This essay will cover both the differences and similarities of leadership and management, identify the process of management and critique two styles of leadership. It would also tackle the importance of leadership and management in nursing and why new nurses need these skills to be successful in the field.... [tags: Leadership, Management]
1330 words (3.8 pages)
- Introduction Throughout the term and study of Resilient Leaders and Organizational Management and Leadership many aspects of leadership were studied. All of these aspects work together as a body that forms the leader. From these bodies of knowledge five concepts stood out. Additionally, three key sets of scripture are highlighted that paint a picture of leadership in the biblical sense. Group Consensus The group determined five key concepts that help define a leader held such importance that they were set apart for this submission.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Positive psychology]
1157 words (3.3 pages)
- This paper’s theme assesses whether a leader’s emotional intelligence perspective affects organizational management and leadership qualities. A key point of the subject is proposing a future leadership role. The aspiration of the role includes an exploration of the following topics: the current performance strengths, vulnerabilities and changes contributing to the aspiration of leadership; relationship and changes of emotional intelligence related to leadership aspirations, seminal theorists guiding the aspiration of leadership, and the application of positive change usefulness in strategies and effectiveness in leadership aspirations.... [tags: Oorganizational Management, Leadership Qualities]
1363 words (3.9 pages)
- Full range leadership theory. Effective (FRLT) Full Range leadership theory is described as putting together of transformational and transactional models (Bass & Avolio, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2004). Transformational leadership stresses on the relationship between the leaders and subordinate and workplace situations that result to surpassing expectations. By the application of FRLT, SAHC leaders will effectively manage the MDCs facing the leadership. According to Mhoon-Walker (2013), stimulating inducement, intellectual encouragement, and customized deliberation are three features of transformational leadership utilized to motivate subordinate performance.... [tags: Leadership, Management]
1201 words (3.4 pages)
- Introduction: The principles of leadership and management are helps to understand the management style and make the effective decision. An effective decision helps to gain the success of an organization. Lots of way to manage and collect information/question for leadership and management which are describing in the below: 1.1 Explain the importance of defining the objectives, scope and success criteria of the decisions to be taken The objectives can lead a better understanding and take analyzing steps.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Decision making, Risk]
1893 words (5.4 pages)
- Servant Leadership: Application for Nursing Servant leadership has been increasingly gaining in popularity not only in the business world but also in the world of nursing (van Dierendonck & Patterson, 2015). In order to encourage servant leadership one must first understand what servant leadership is, and what one’s personal role is within the position. One must also take a closer look at how these ideals of servant leadership affect one’s life and what qualities one can use to help enrich the communities, businesses, and lives around oneself.... [tags: Health care, Leadership, Love]
1327 words (3.8 pages)
- During my coursework learning about the variety of leadership styles, I have been able to take something positive away from each style. My personal preference is the "participative leadership style" and the most likely choice for me to use when in a leadership role. For instance, I learned from each style that there will be something events that would be applicable given the work environment and situation at hand for the proper style. Because there are instances where management will have to utilize a combination of leadership styles are necessary to reach a common objective and goal.... [tags: Business management, participative leadership]
2431 words (6.9 pages)