The purpose of this report is to explain what “Management Information Systems” (MIS) is. This report will discuss how management information system helps different departments in an organization. The functions and advantages of using MIS will also be examined in this report.
MIS can deliver a great number of benefits to the enterprises in every industry and it is essential to any business’ success. It involves gathering of data and processing it to provide useful information which is relevant to the company's decision making process. Since MIS is crucial to the success of any business, being knowledgeable and skilful in the subject matter is a must.
What is Management Information System?
“Management information system deals with planning, development, management, and use of information technology tools to help people perform all tasks related to information processing and management.” (Rainer & Cegielski) It is an organized approach to analyze the information needs of a management, at every level, in making operational, tactical, and strategic decisions. MIS is integral to the any business. It is widely use across any industry and has become a necessity for survival. MIS is often considered as a subset of “Information System” (IS). This subset is most relevant when securing and delivering information required in helping management at different level. Management information systems are distinct from regular information systems. Information System (IS) refers to the information system required in running the day-to-day internal operations of a company; while, MIS refers to the information system responsible for securing both internal and external data that management can use to make operational decisions. Such d...
... middle of paper ...
...utsourceAccountingServices.com. Retrieved April 5, 2011, from http://www.outsourceaccountingservices.com/mis-reports.html
Manufacturing Management Information System (MIS). (n.d.). Business Intelligence Blog. Retrieved April 7, 2011, from http://blog.maia-intelligence.com/2008/04/25/manufacturing-management-information-system-mis/
MIS APPLICATION IN FINANCE. (n.d.). Scribd. Retrieved April 8, 2011, from http://www.scribd.com/doc/27891090/MIS-APPLICATION-IN-FINANCE
Rainer, K. R., & Cegielski, C. G. (n.d.). Introduction to Information Systems ... - Google Books. Google Books. Retrieved April 5, 2011, from http://books.google.ca/books?id=maK8xskEduYC&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=Management+information+system+deals+with+planning+for,+development,+management,+and+use+of+information+technology+tools+to+help+people+perform+all+tasks+related+to+information+processing+and+m.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction The purpose of this report is to explain what “Management Information Systems” (MIS) is. This report will discuss how management information system helps different departments in an organization. The functions and advantages of using MIS will also be examined in this report. MIS can deliver a great number of benefits to the enterprises in every industry and it is essential to any business’ success. It involves gathering of data and processing it to provide useful information which is relevant to the company's decision making process.... [tags: Information Technology ]
1842 words (5.3 pages)
- Walmart Information Management System (IMS) Walmart is a retail giant that just about everyone in America has purchased something from them. It is a one stop shop for anything that a person could ever need. Walmart stores can be found anywhere in fact most people are less than an hour drive away from a Walmart store. Walmart’s success has put many companies out of business. The chains success is primarily from low prices and using an information technology system to meet customer demands giving them a competitive advantage.... [tags: information technology and business analysis]
758 words (2.2 pages)
- Overview A system for a football club is to be designed that will ensure that the same information has being passed on to all parents of the relevant under-age players with regards to match details. The system is to replace a current text messaging service that has proven to be unsuccessful due to communication issues between team managers and the person in charge of the text system. The system is expected to pass the responsibility of communicating the information to the Football Management System where match fixtures can only be updated by the manager of the relevant team.... [tags: Designing IT System]
2632 words (7.5 pages)
- Sharif Mair Professor Catherine White Module 6: Research Review Management Information System SUNY Empire State College Term Project Research Review Part A 1. What did you learn. I learned that customer relationship management systems are practices, strategies, and technologies that organizations and companies use to manage and analyze customer interactions and data throughout the customer lifecycle with the company. With the hopes of improving their business relationship, assisting in customer retention and driving sales.... [tags: Customer relationship management]
1321 words (3.8 pages)
- As demonstrated in figure 1, the IMIS is composed of sub systems that operate within the inter-ministerial arrangement. Through the establishment of an inter-sectors flow of information, the system links the Ministry of Higher Education with other government agencies that have interests in the higher educational sectors. The IMIS coordinates information resources and integrates the various sources into one harmonized system that serves the Ministry of Higher Education handling the high education matters.... [tags: Information systems, Management, System]
839 words (2.4 pages)
- Answer to Question 1 Introduction Organizations whether profit oriented or not are becoming increasingly dependent on computerised information systems in carrying out their day-to-day activities. A proper application of this process of business digitalization is helping improve customer experience and reducing long-term cost of running businesses and other organizations. A management information system (MIS), according to Shelly, Cashman and Vermaat, (2008) is an information system that generates accurate, timely and organized information so managers and other users can make decisions, solve problems, supervise activities, and track progress.... [tags: information, recording data, output]
1418 words (4.1 pages)
- NHP Product Information Management System NHP is a leading provider of industrial electrical engineering products which they take to the market in Australia and New Zealand. Their primary focus is on switchgear and automation products, but they have a huge range of items from climate control systems to solar panels. NHP cements their place as a leader in the industry by providing outstanding customer and technical support services which ensure customers return in the future. The role this case study is based on is the product information management for all of the electrical products that NHP stocks.... [tags: Technical support, Customer service, Management]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- Introduction and Details Definition A management information system (MIS) provides information that organizations require to manage themselves efficiently and effectively. Management information systems are typically computer systems used for managing. The five primary components there is Hardware, Software, Data (information for decision making), Procedures (design,development and documentation), and People (individuals, groups, or organizations). Management information systems are distinct from other information systems because they are used to analyze and facilitate strategic and operational activities.... [tags: digital firm, managers, computing]
1976 words (5.6 pages)
- It deals with planning for, development, management, and use of information technology tools to help people perform all tasks related to information processing and management. In the above definition you can find the three key resources-information, information technology, and people. You will also find various functions that you as a knowledge worker must undertake to ensure that your origination maximizes its advantages. It doesn't matter if you are preparing to work in the area of finance, human resource management, logistics, marketing or even information technology, you will still have responsibilities that include planning for, developing, managing and using MIS function with in your... [tags: Computers Business Information Technology MIS]
800 words (2.3 pages)
- The Requirements for Developing and Managing a Comprehensive Management Information System The aim of this assignment is to see the requirements for developing and managing a comprehensive Management Information system for an organisation. In today's business environment it is getting harder and harder for organisation’s to not only survive but to compete against other organisation’s. Information technology plays a big part in helping companies compete and survive. Companies that have branches or franchises need to make sure that they can communicate with the head office so that orders can be passed down.... [tags: Businesses Information Systems Technology Essays]
4383 words (12.5 pages)