Venture capital organizations provide funds for a variety of new business ventures and is a vital component of business creation. Venture capital acts as a catalyst for new business development and, more generally, economic growth, by providing budding organizations necessary start-up capital in exchange for either equity or debt. According to the National Venture Capital Association, venture capital investment over the past 30 years is responsible for the creation of more than 7.6 million jobs in companies generating over $1.3 trillion in revenues.
The greater Pittsburgh region has seen an explosion of new business start-ups in the last decade. Much of this activity is an outgrowth of the strong health and technology research being done at institutions like UPMC and Carnegie Mellon University. This new trend also provides an excellent business opportunity: namely, venture capital. However, while there has been great growth in the rate of start-up creation in Pittsburgh, the growth of venture capital availability has not kept pace. From 2006 to 2011, the amount of venture capital investing decreased in Pittsburgh. In recent years, this trend has improved, but there is still a great need for more venture capital investments. This business plan proposes the creation of Hills and Mills Capital (HMC) venture capital fund, a subsidiary of Crescent Capital Group (Crescent), to take advantage of the local need for more early stage investment capital.
HMC’s goals are to help local business creators fulfill their dreams by providing capital and assistance, and provide attractive returns to its investors in the 15-20% IRR range. To do this, HMC will invest in local start-ups with strong management teams and the potent...
... middle of paper ...
...the fund and managers of the fund. Individual investors within Crescent will invest as part of the limited partnership. These limited partners will also receive an 8% preferred return on their investment.
Crescent HMC (Fund Manager)
HMC Fund 1, LLC
Figure 3 Fund Ownership Structure Diagram
Fund Size and Fee Structure
Initially, all funding will come from Crescent and individual investors within the Crescent ownership group directly. Crescent will pledge to provide $1 million to HMC’s initial fund. HMC’s managers will invest $100,000 and invest this amount as the general partner. HMC will have control over the investments, investment sizes, and investment criteria. HMC will obtain a management fee of 2.5% of the funds under management ($25,000 per year) to pay for overhead costs.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Australian private equity industry is faced with plenty of turmoil. Funds have plenty of capital to deploy, but the competitive market is making it hard to find enough profitable acquisitions. On top of this, the fee structure is under scrutiny is Australia, just like it is elsewhere in the world. The above topics are surely one of the key debating points at the upcoming Australian Private Equity & Venture Capital Association Limited (AVCAL) conference this week. So, what do the numbers say about the current industry outlook.... [tags: Stock market, Venture capital, Australia]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- An Overview of Nigerian Venture Capital and Private Equity Executive Summary Nigeria is facing an uncertain future as outbreaks of ethnic and religious violence continue to place strains on Africa’s most populated country. With the 2003 elections approaching, the continuing battle amongst incumbent politicians and between competing ethnic and regional groups is likely to intensify. Such an environment will test Nigeria’s fragile democracy, which has never witnessed a hand over from one civilian government to another.... [tags: Nigeria Finance Venture Capital]
1803 words (5.2 pages)
- Compatibility The analysis of the joint venture of Haighs chocolate and Cocoa Delights deems that the venture is mostly compatible with the marketing objectives of Cocoa Delights. A statement from the CEO declares the venture will be keeping with chair of the boards statement, "By 2015 I see Cocoa Delights with a significant presence in retail chocolate in every Australian capital city". Haighs chocolate has already set up a market in Sydney, Adelaide, and Melbourne which will help with the expansion of Cocoa Delights.... [tags: Marketing, Chocolate, Marketing plan]
1199 words (3.4 pages)
- The word “capital” implies long term. Capital funds are long-term sources of funds. Capital budgeting is investing in long-lived assets. (Financial-dictionary)Capital Budgeting (also known as investment appraisal) is the most important tool in corporate finance to determine whether a company’s long term investment are worthwhile or not. It is also known as investment a Working capital is the funds necessary to support the operation of the long-lived assets. Various examples will be used to illustrate Capital Budgeting procedure is the way toward arranging and controlling capital consumption inside a firm.... [tags: Net present value, Internal rate of return]
1718 words (4.9 pages)
- The word “capital” implies long term. Capital funds are long-term sources of funds. Capital budgeting is investing in long-lived assets. (Financial-dictionary) Capital Budgeting (also known as investment appraisal) is the most important tool in corporate finance to determine whether a company’s long term investment are worthwhile or not. It is also known as investment a Working capital is the funds necessary to support the operation of the long-lived assets. Various examples will be used to illustrate Capital Budgeting procedure is the way toward arranging and controlling capital consumption inside a firm.... [tags: Net present value, Internal rate of return]
1667 words (4.8 pages)
- Everyone admires successful people and hopes to own the same fame and wealth like the successful people. Unfortunately, most of us never find out the reason why these people success and discover the perspiration that is left on the path to success. To find out what efforts and accomplishments they made in the career and to learn what I can improve from them, I decided to interview Addison Kim, a local analyst who work in venture capital and private equity. From the interview, I learned the interviewee’s background and gained advice about my career and opinion of the financial industry.... [tags: Learning, Skill, Management, Venture capital]
810 words (2.3 pages)
- Our group believes that the joint venture is not only feasible within the given budget, but also has the potential to set the standard for the interaction of educational institutions and profit driven entities. The long and short-term goals of the School of Business can be met within the $1 million dollar budget. Our research has found that businesses are reluctant to hold on to an asset with fixed costs attached to it and that also does not produce any revenue. The private company, Wawa, has recently been involved in an expansion project that includes the construction of new and larger stores.... [tags: Business Analysis Management]
735 words (2.1 pages)
- The easy and trustworthy nature of crowdfunding is good for enhancing the relationship between stakeholders and the entrepreneur[s]. This relationship is necessary if the business is going to grow and operate within the confines of trust and ethical behaviors. The relationship between the stakeholder and the entrepreneur is explained using the Stakeholder Theory. According to Freeman, stakeholder theory is one that underscores the significance of each stakeholder (employer, employee, shareholder, suppliers, customers, community and the environment) to an organization as opposed to the shareholder only, the manner in which they are affected from a moral and ethical perspective (Freeman, et al... [tags: Venture capital, Entrepreneurship, Finance]
864 words (2.5 pages)
- Based on Criteria’s of Evaluating Venture Opportunities there are several key indicators that shows that Zipcar is indeed a high potential venture. Below are the criteria in brief 1.0 Industry & Market Market: The revolutionary concept certainly provides an alternative to public transport. Furthermore the car sharing concept is really useful for the public in a overcrowded city with limited parking & expensive parking fees. This is clearly not an untouched segment because there are other 2 competitors operating.... [tags: Zipcar Business Analysis Strategy]
743 words (2.1 pages)
- FUNDING ENVIRONMENT IN UK HTSFs form 6% of UK’s business population. But, due to asymmetry of information, they face greater obstacle than conventional SMEs in obtaining finance, and so deserve greater government support in overcoming them. The recent financial crisis has affected the availability of finance to HTSFs in UK adversely, which in turn has held back economic recovery. A lot of research has been done, which demonstrates that there has been a funding gap in HTSFs in last 30 years. According to Bank of England’s report on Financing of Technology Based Small Businesses, investors are more willing to lend to established HTSFs as compared to young HTSFs.... [tags: finance, venture capital, HTSF, investment]
861 words (2.5 pages)