In this Ted Talk, Alexis Ohanian who is a co-founder of Reddit.com a “democratic front page of the best things on the internet”. How this works is users submit interesting things they found on the internet share it on Reddit and other users’ thumbs up or thumbs down your post. Every day new trends and memes are born right on the Reddit front page, making it simple to get noticed by others on the internet.
Alexis begins with a story of Mister. Splashy Pants, basically the Japanese government devised a whaling campaign, in which Humpback whales were getting hunted. However, Greenpeace an environmental organization took action and decided to put a tracking device o...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- It’s no secret that internet and social media has become a major part of our society. In the last 14 years the number of internet users has increased by a whopping 566% and 2,495,518,376 people in this world have access to the internet. 70% of them use the internet on a daily basis. On average that 70% will spend 3.2 hours daily on social media, such as Instagram, Tumblr, Google+ and YouTube. In this Ted Talk Alexis Ohanian who is a co-founder of Reddit.com a “democratic front page of the best stuff on the internet”.... [tags: whales, reddit, hunting]
541 words (1.5 pages)
- Technology has had a negative impact on this generation- we have lost and forgotten many things because of it. In Malcolm Gladwell’s “Small Change: Why the Revolution Will Not Be Tweeted”, he discusses the difference between social media activism and “real” activism and the loss of human connection that he has identified. He believes that with social media activism, we lack the connections a community should have because we don’t get together in person- we are satisfied with being connected through technology.... [tags: Human, Thought, Technology, Social media]
1567 words (4.5 pages)
- Social media sites are now finding their way into workplace. Now, social media sites are not just a place where you post photos of your pets wearing cowboy hats. Human Resource professionals now see Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook as an avenue for finding and recruiting promising potential employees. A survey carried out by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) revealed that 77% of firms use social media when selecting candidates for positions. (Global HR Research, 2015). However, weighing the benefits and risk of using social media in hiring decision making is a significant risk that professionals advice should be considered when designing a recruitment strategy.... [tags: Recruitment, Employment, Social media]
1021 words (2.9 pages)
- Companies mine the data of the users and their activity in an effort to serve the users better add more value. This type of data mining has been done with the goal of restructuring available sets of information to identify patterns and generate knowledge helpful in the decision making process. Companies often use such information to alter existing products or services, or to introduce new ones. Social Media platforms such as Facebook, home to more than a billion users, provide a common ground through which individuals and groups can share their opinions, and gather new information.... [tags: Facebook, Social media, Informed consent]
1056 words (3 pages)
- In March of 1993, South African photographer, Kevin Carter, snapped a photograph of an extremely malnourished child in Sudan. In this picture, the child's ribs are exposed and she is crouched in the fetal position. The story of the photograph paled in comparison to the demand for information regarding Carters involvement before and after capturing the image. The unique context of Carter's photo raises a number of different points and questions in regards to photojournalism. First, what is the role of the photographer when he or she is capturing these controversial images.... [tags: Media, Ethics]
1669 words (4.8 pages)
- INTRODUCTION Ninety percent of American young adults (ages 18 to 29) use social media (Pew Research Center, 2015). According to Pew Research Center (2015), women are more likely to use social media than men. It is important, then, to consider the impact of young females’ presence on social media networks such as Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook and how these platforms influence decision making processes. RESEARCH TERRITORY Literature in this field has addressed the relationship between a female’s social media use and her perception of self (i.e.... [tags: Social media, Sociology, Research]
964 words (2.8 pages)
- Social Media or Social Strain. A family sits around their dining room table on your average Thursday evening, sharing a meal together. But as you look more closely, the family is not sharing with each other, but instead sharing on their devices. The hard-working, bread-winning father has his laptop out, conferencing with some co-workers in an effort to finish his work that is due the next morning. His son is typing away on his smart phone, texting his friends about how boring his life is, while his sister chats on the phone with her boyfriend.... [tags: Twitter, Social media, Question]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- Results Task 1: Analysis of Scholarly Journals and Articles on the Topic of Social Media Marketing The analysis of the scholarly articles and journals provided a large amount of information on social media itself and the effectiveness of using it as a marketing strategy. In the article “From Social to Sale”, the authors’ findings indicate that television advertising and e-mail marketing have a positive effect on consumer spending (Kumar, Ashish, et al). They also found that consumers with greater privacy concerns are less likely to participate in a company’s social media site.... [tags: Social media, Marketing, Facebook]
813 words (2.3 pages)
- In past history, print media, such as newspapers, flyers, and brochures, were considered the only form of media for Back in the day , print was the only form of media for the longest. Then , radio and television emerged and people were exposed to way more culture including , sex , violence and the idolization of celebrities. As technology advanced, the internet was born and information was being spread at a more rapid rate to more people. The internet influences the growth and spread of media, and eventually gave the power of media transfer to the people, now publishers and stations are no longer in control of the media and its information.... [tags: Social media, Twitter, Newspaper, Media]
1249 words (3.6 pages)
- Bullying on Social Media With the emergence of social media, it has transformed the world, as social media sites continue to intensify in the 21st century. With the growing popularity of these sites has also invited unlawful and abusive behaviors. It is interesting and worth realizing that social media emerged as a way of making communication easier through simplifying interactions. However, the openness of Social Media sites has caused harm and pain to some users and non-users as well. There is a lack of clarity regarding what exactly social media sites are, but the incorporation of technology makes it elaborative (Goldman).... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Social media]
1784 words (5.1 pages)