This data is provided by the Montgomery school department. The school offers students and International Baccalaureate (IB) high school diploma. Students may start taking IB courses starting their junior year. All freshman English classes are classified as Honors. They have Honors English Inclusive 9, Honors English 9, and Honors English Cohort 9. The closer to Cohort you get the more challenging the class is. However, once Cohort is accomplished students may take AP classes and IB classes.
• Curriculum (type, level of challenge)
The classes that I saw were theater 1, Honors English 9 and 11 inclusions, AP language, and IB 11. Theater 1 was an elective, therefore, it was a fun class. Students were advertising a product. All of the ninth grade English classes were classified as Honors courses. For both classes, Honors English 9 and 11 inclusions the students were taking a test. The first quarter ended Friday. The word inclusion in this particular school meant that there was a special education teacher or paraprofessional in the classroom. Their task was to monitor behavior and make testing accommodations for the special education students. Students were asked to write the definition or ...
... middle of paper ...
...the levels of Honors classes (Honors inclusive, honors, honors cohort, AP and IB) confused me a lot. I did not like it. I felt that if a student was in Honors Inclusive they were disciplined and they were not expected to perform their best in class. For instance, for Honors English Inclusive 9, the teacher told me, “Well, I have 8 students with IEP’s, some ESOL students, and I have one that is homeless. Since we are testing today most of the students will behave well.”
Since most of the classes were testing Jessica and I were allowed to learn about some struggles that the ESOL Salvadorian students faced as they migrated to the U.S. Before leaving the school Mr. Cooper mentioned that we were welcome to contact them again, that he hopes to continue the relationship with Bowie State and Dr. West and to let him know if we have any other questions via email.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Schools can give responsibility to students but never without a cost. Students should have to chance to prove their worth to schools and show how responsible they can be as adults. When students go to college classes as high schoolers they sometimes tend to have more free time during those times. If a child has enough responsibility to take those classes they should have enough to leave school and be trusted to come back to school after their free time is over. Although leaving school early is not something that is smiled upon it should be because some students are ahead and can work their schedule to allow extra time because of hard work in early years.... [tags: High school, College, Vocational school]
1062 words (3 pages)
- Pro-Long Hours. Big Benefits. A growing trend noticeably increasing in the medical field is plastic surgeon—the practice of restoring or enhancing the physical appearance of the body. This job requires the right personality and techniques from a doctor but is overall rewarding and something to aspire to. The correct information and the insight from an elite surgeon working in today’s medical environment can emit inspiration for those wanting to be involved in this field. History Even though plastic surgery is most popular in today’s society, the idea that the practice goes as far back as 3400 B.C., is often misconstrued.... [tags: Career Research ]
2049 words (5.9 pages)
- According to the Harvard Politics, there were fifty five school shootings between November 1,991 and July 16, 2013 (Gupta). However, since 2013, there have been 142 school shootings (Mosendz). If the ratio would have stayed the same between 1991to 2013 and 2013 to 2016, eight school shootings would be expected to have taken place during 2013 and 2016, not 142. School shootings are becoming more of a problem throughout the years. More and more innocent students and teachers are dying due to school shootings.... [tags: High school, Education, College, Grammar school]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- The law office of Burke, Schultz, Harman, & Jenkinson is nestled within a business park just off of the main road that runs through Martinsburg, West Virginia. It is a small office, and would be easily missed if it were not for two billboards on either side of the business complex that boast “We Play Hardball” – a slogan known to almost everyone within the greater tri-county area in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia. D. Michael Burke, Lawrence Schultz, Ron Harman, and Mark Jenkinson are arguably the most well-known personal injury lawyers in this part of the state due to effective advertising on billboards and the internet.... [tags: Law, Lawyer, Practice of law, Personal injury]
1626 words (4.6 pages)
- One morning in class we began to notice a foul odor in the classroom. Eventually, the odor was so bad, it was impossible to concentrate on our class work. The smell was coming from the steam radiators. They could not blame this one on my peanut butter and banana sandwich. The entire school really reeked. Apparently, there was some sort of impurity in the boilers, and the odor was being released throughout all of the steam radiators in the building. We were dismissed from school soon afterward. I never heard an official explanation of what the odor was.... [tags: High school, Middle school, Secondary school]
1465 words (4.2 pages)
- In Wayne County there is a wide variety of characters. From doctors, to working class heroes, to flat out low lives. What do all these people have in common. They begin their path to whatever may lay ahead at Wayne County High School. The birthplace of all that is Wayne County. As I have watched and experienced over the years, the journey starts freshmen year. Walking up the hill on the sidewalk, dew still on the grass, through those doors into the biggest building on the whole campus, your judgement day can seem a little intimidating, but one soon learns that Wayne County High is not as scary as it seems.... [tags: High school, High School Musical, School]
1027 words (2.9 pages)
- What is the last thing you would went hear as a student. Being told that you have to repeat the same grade, again. I have gotten this news in the 8th grade, which for a lot of people is weird because they would usually get left back within the 1st or 2nd grade. During the regular school year I had failed the finally English Exam, which lead to going to summer school where I taking an English class and retaking the English Exam. However, going to the last day to find out my result was a depressing because I had found out that I had failed the exam.... [tags: High school, Teacher, Must See TV, College]
1048 words (3 pages)
- In reality, the charter school system is a collection of autonomous institutions that are required to comply with general academic standards thus meaning their success rate cannot be measured as a whole. Though one of the leading charter school systems in Philadelphia is Mastery Charter School, the leading competitor to the Public School system. Due to Mastery’s infamous name and increasing student population, it seems to be the best to compare with our state funded system.I argue that Mastery is a more efficient school system than Philadelphia Public School District.... [tags: High school, Public school, Charter school]
828 words (2.4 pages)
- A focused and involved high school student is one of the most hard working individuals in the education system. High school brings many challenges, like homework, working, and extracurricular activities, to the path of a hard working student, but more than likely help is available and the challenge is overcome. Although such challenges are a part of a high school student’s everyday life, they may be time consuming. Students may have long work hours, multiple assignments of homework, and extracurricular activities that take up the remaining hours of the day after school is dismissed.... [tags: High school, Sleep, School terminology]
1790 words (5.1 pages)
- Social Worker/ Child, Family, and School Social Worker It was a tie between a psychologist and a social worker that I wanted to research. All this time I thought I wanted a career in psychology. Going through all that I have really learned about myself, I felt that I am better rounded for a career in social work. I believe that I have the skills and I will gain the knowledge to make it in this career. I also learned that just like psychology, there is many sub areas of social work. I could be working with people with disabilities, those with addictions, and my personal favorite children (OOH).... [tags: Social work, Sociology, School social worker]
1075 words (3.1 pages)