In both “Maus” and “I See you”, I believe that the characters of Vladek and Smith are initially portrayed as very powerful, strong people. Although they both experience very different situations for this to happen, their power deteriorates over time. In “Maus”, Vladek’s strong personality is portrayed through the stories he tells his son, Art. These stories consist of his experiences in the Holocaust, suffering under the reign of Nazi Germany. Throughout the oppression of the Jews, Vladek needed to maintain some sense of control within the camps in order to survive and one can see many instances where he was stronger than most people. As Vladek relives a moment with Anja in the camp, he says “To die, it’s easy..but you have to struggle for life..Until the last moment we must struggle together..and you’ll see that together we’ll survive” (Spiegelman, Vol I, 122). Despite this strength, for Vladek and all J...
... middle of paper ...
...s of images in a screen” (Knight, 67). Although Smith tries to restore the true meaning of the device and regain his power, he is unable to do so as the device continues to be used for the wrong reasons.
As portrayed in both “Maus” and “I See You”, once power is taken away from a person, it can become hard to regain. Being left powerless, like Vladek and Smith were, can be extremely hard to handle. Although some sort of signification can give people some power back, it is unlikely that one will ever go back to their original state of being. Vladek, whose power was stripped from him in the Holocaust, and Smith, whose control over his product was taken away by society, are both unable to restore their once very powerful, strong personalities. Instead, both were left with the burden of their original deterioration of power, leaving them feeling helpless and fragile.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Essay 2 The rapid loss of faith in visible sanctity demonstrates the total depravity in Goodman Brown’s character that lead him to live an unfulfilled life. As soon as Goodman Brown hears the Devil’s sermon he doesn’t seek to refute it. Instead, he easily accepts that his father, grandfather, and the whole community were acquainted with the Devil. He then gradually begins to believe that the community of visible saints is corrupted and that they are performers of evil-doing. Nathaniel Hawthorne, author of Young Goodman Brown says “‘Goodman Brown stepped forth from the shadows...and approached the congregation, with whom he felt a loathful brotherhood by the sympathy of all that was wicked... [tags: Nathaniel Hawthorne, Young Goodman Brown]
1093 words (3.1 pages)
- At times, human beings need order. A part of this need for order stems from the desire to live in a peaceful society. To ensure order within a society, the creation and enforcement of rules and laws must be present. The enforcement of laws is the responsibility of a justice system. The purpose of a justice system is to ensure that all individuals receive fair treatment. However, at times justice systems can fail and lead to the oppression of certain individuals. Individuals must either endure the oppression, or choose to seek justice.... [tags: peaceful society, rebellion]
1843 words (5.3 pages)
- Ideas have plenty of value in the world. If there was not any diversity in the world, then everything and everybody would be too similar. The real purpose of living in the world is to have some sort of individualism. Ideas play a large role in human interaction because when talking to someone, ideas are passed back and forth in the conversation. Another part of ideas being important in human interaction is that ideas allow two or more people to have conflicting ideas so that people can learn from each other.... [tags: Human, Emotion, Psychology, Fahrenheit 451]
920 words (2.6 pages)
- Until the shoot down of Extortion 17 in 2011 - an ambushed CH-47 Chinook carrying 38 people which included 25 U.S. special operations soldiers and a military working dog that resulted in the death of all on board - the failures of the 2005 combined/joint operation known as Red Wings resulted in the largest loss of life to Special Operation Forces (SOF) during the Afghanistan Campaign. A plan originally devised by 3rd Marine Regiment, the initial purpose of the operation was to seek out and eliminate militia in the Kunar Province of Afghanistan, namely Ahmad Shah who was considered to be an Islamic fundamentalist and leader of a local militia in the region.... [tags: marine, militants, rescue]
1092 words (3.1 pages)
- Existential Therapy: Finding Meaning and Purpose The second theoretical orientation that could be applied to Jessica’s case is Existential Therapy. Though Existential therapy is more of a philosophy for counseling and lacks specifically designed techniques, the key concepts associated with Existential therapy—the “basic dimensions of the human condition”, specifically mortality, meaning, aloneness, freedom, and anxiety (Core, 2013, p. 134)—are especially relevant to Jessica’s case. Following an Existential approach for Jessica’s therapeutic plan could provide the self-awareness and empowerment Jessica needs to make positive changes and achieve greater fulfillment in her life.... [tags: Meaning of life, Existentialism]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- STATEMENT OF PURPOSE I wish to hone my research acumen by pursuing MS in Supply Chain Management at the ___________ University. My passion for this research comes from two sources- intellectual curiosity and my experience. My first interest in Supply Chain Management resulted from my experience. Ever since I was young, I wanted to understand not just the ‘how’ of Mechanical engineering problems, but also why machines worked at the fundamental level. In particular, I was interested in learning the application of experimental techniques and principles governing Physics to solve problems.... [tags: mechanical engineering, inventory, graduate]
984 words (2.8 pages)
- Hypnosis and Weight Loss Hypnosis has many practical uses, and these days it is becoming increasingly popular as a method of behavior modification. The Internet contains many advertisements for self-help programs that use hypnosis to reduce stress, quit smoking, or lose weight. In the area of hypnosis and weight loss, there are many web sites for both products and services for sale that promise to help anyone lose weight. Hypnosis uses suggestions to change a person's behavior and eating habits in order to facilitate weight loss.... [tags: Hypnotize Internet Health Papers]
2636 words (7.5 pages)
- The Little Mermaid: Of Lust, Loss, and Immortality Under the sea, in an idyllic and beautiful garden, stands a statue of a young man cut out of cold stone – for the Little Mermaid who knows nothing but the sea, the statue stands as an emblem of the mysterious over-world, a stimulus for imagination and sexual desire, an incentive for expansion of experience, and most predominately, an indication that something great and all-encompassing is missing from her existence. Traces of curiosity and a vague indication of the complexities of adult desires mark the child mermaid; in such a stage of development, the statue will suffice.... [tags: Fairy Tale Children Story]
1877 words (5.4 pages)
- The world's natural resources are being consumed at an alarming rate. As these resources diminish , people will be seeking alternative sources by which to generate electricity for heat and light . The only practical short term solution for the energy-crisis is nuclear power. Nuclear power, however is not as safe as burning coal, gas or oil in a factory it is in fact, much more dangerous, There are dangers associated with a nuclear power plant which far out weigh the benefits to society as a whole and in part to the community living and working around the power plant .... [tags: essays research papers]
2314 words (6.6 pages)
- Protein Power 1. Description Met-Rx can be used as a meal supplement or meal companion. It is mostly used by body builders in order to build body mass. It is packaged in the form of food bars or powdered shakes. (www.metrx.com/tutorials-and-quiz/quiz.html) The purpose of this treatment is to "support protein synthesis, energy production, and fat utilization" (www.met-rx.com/faq/default.htm). The ingredients contained in these combinations allow the body to acquire all the necessary nutrients for maximum metabolic effect.... [tags: Eating Health Essays]
1138 words (3.3 pages)