With no way to sugar-coat and cushion this point, simply stated, distance is a foolish reason to instantaneously break up with a significant other. This is especially true for couples that are truly serious about their relationship. Does an army wife start packing up her belongings and get in contact with a divorce lawyer when she finds out her husband has been called overseas? Not at all. Of course, college couples are not necessa...
... middle of paper ...
...to thrive greatly. Perfectly stated, although terribly cliché, distance truly means so little when someone means so much.
"Long Distance Relationships." Penn State Erie, The Behrend College. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Feb. 2014.
Stafford, Laura, and Andy J. Merolla. "Idealization, Reunions, and Stability in Long-distance Dating Relationships." Sage Journals. University of Nevada: Reno -- Library, n.d. Web. 26 Feb. 2014.
Rintel, Sean. "Video Calling in Long Distance Relationships: The Opportunistic Use of audio/video Distortions as a Relational Resource." Academia.edu. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Feb. 2014.
East, Amber. "Making Long-distance Relationships Succeed Takes Work."Illinoisstate.edu. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Feb. 2014.
Chen, An. "Design for Long Distance Relationships." Proquest. University of Nevada: Reno -- Library, n.d. Web. 26 Feb. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... It has been reported that, “75% of college students at some point have been in a long distance relationship,” (Penn State Behrend: “Long Distance Relationships” 1). In addition, “25% to 50% of college students are in a long distance relationship at any given time” (Penn State Behrend: “Long Distance Relationships” 1). Couples that identify with the idea that there is no hurt in trying, find that it might not be so bad after all. Although abruptly severing ties is not the appropriate response to a grand separation to come, leaving one another with the idea that both parties are on the exact same page is not a wise path to take either.... [tags: couples, visits, stressors]
1354 words (3.9 pages)
- “Long-distance relationships in college.” Does that sound frightening, or does it sound like a poorly stated joke. Many people believe that long distance relationships are the sole thing that you do not get yourself into when going off to college. You choose your university, you rush your sorority or fraternity, you enroll into your classes, and you select your major, but whatever you do you should never choose to be in a long-distance relationship when pursuing higher education. For many newly dubbed “adults,” the spectacular college life contains a world full of partying, studying, hooking up, and experimenting (whatever that may entail).... [tags: Couples, commitment]
1520 words (4.3 pages)
- ... Our application has each of these features, and considerably more. Tandem has save text options, reminders, calendar sharing, playlist options, countdowns, bucket lists, and ways to track urgency. Withal, Tandem is free to download. Tandem will strengthen all long distance relationships by incorporating features that will bolster intimacy and help partners to effectively communicate. Literature Review/ Rationale The literature surrounding the previous complications of long distance relationships has helped Tandem develop features that will eliminate all barriers.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Communication]
1254 words (3.6 pages)
- With recent advancements in technology (e-mail, phone, text, social media, and video conference), couples can manage and maintain their relationship with a simple touch of a button. Foremost, communication through technology is important to couples involved in long-distance relationships (LDRs), as the demand for relational development requires constant attention. The term “long-distance relationship” can often carry a negative association for those seeking love. There is a perception that geographical distance will prevent a strong and happy relationship from developing; however, it does not deter all couples from staying together.... [tags: Facebook's Affect on Long-Distance Relationships]
2196 words (6.3 pages)
- Introduction: Just like any other relationship that is formed between two people in the throes of intimacy, long distance relationships are filled with struggle and sometimes heartache. However, the question is, are these relationships worth it. If two people’s love is so strong for each other, it stands to reason that no distance would come between them. Perhaps the old adage speaks most in saying, “true love conquers all” – distance included. After experiencing a long distance relationship first hand, I have found that the distance can, in fact, provide more unique and special aspects than many would normally consider.... [tags: relationships, love, social media]
1229 words (3.5 pages)
- The story behind Long Distance Relationships Everyone has encountered someone in their life being trapped in a long distance relationship no matter how bad of a reputation they have. Have you ever wondered what science says about long distance relationships (LDR’s) or if they ever work. With reference to a series of articles and recent studies, understanding what is behind LDR’s and why society loathes them, will become very evident as you read further. LDR’s are a great way to get to know one another without all the drama a ‘normal’ relationship brings.... [tags: bad reputation, absence, cheating]
1202 words (3.4 pages)
- A long distance relationship can have many meanings and experiences may be very different from one person to another. For some people, living a long distance from a loved one may be a normal routine in life, while for some people the occasional distance can be difficult and challenging. A long distance relationship can be for a few days, years, or months can occur over a few days, months. For other people, long distance relationship is just like something normal in their family structure, and other people it is like a new experience.... [tags: communication, romance, commitment]
1067 words (3 pages)
- ... Furthermore, there is a vast amount of reasons that a long distance relationship occurs, far more than scholars even are aware of (Bloom 2015). Since there are a wide range of factors that cause a long distance romantic relationship from occurring, there are also many problems that erupt. With planes, trains, internet, and mobile devices, it seems easy to maintain a long distance relationship (Merolla 2012). Some scholars claim that geographic distance poses a challenge for relationship maintenance, while others argue that a long distance romantic relationship is not problematic (Maguire & Kinney 2010; Merolla 2012).... [tags: Communication, Interpersonal relationship]
784 words (2.2 pages)
- ... Location Location is defined as, “a particular place or position” (Cambridge 2016). Location plays a continuously large role in long distance relationships. These couples “live in distal sites for days or weeks, reunite for a short time, and then separate again” (Pistole, C., Roberts, A., Mosko J. 2010). When conflicts arise the couples must be able to “strategically manage [their] conflicts” (Jiang, C. & Hancock, J. 2013), even though their locations are so distanced from one another. Scholars have researched the relationship between distance and conflicts, and with that, have came to the conclusion that, “geographic separation leads to restricted communication, reduced interdependenc... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Love, Communication]
832 words (2.4 pages)
- Long-distance Relationships Work Do long-distance relationships work. That has been the question I have been asking myself since I left for college this past fall. It's one thing to leave behind your friends and family when you go away to school. However, what happens when you leave behind your high-school sweetheart. Is there any hope your relationship could last. Doesn't everyone eventually grow apart. What about the loneliness that you will feel while being away. Won't one eventually cheat or lose interest in the other.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Topics]
1221 words (3.5 pages)