Often times, literature has enough power for the reader to generate their own reality through the writer’s beliefs although most of the times the reality generated by the readers are not correct. In a TED talk called “the Danger of a Single Story,” Chimannda Adichie discussed about how literature affected her views on people, and then through life experience she had figured out that the reality she was creating was all false. She had grown up in Nigeria where at young age she was able to come across western literature. She was an inspired writer, and had realized all her inspirations came from British and American literature because most of her pieces were based of British and American literature such as having her characters...
... middle of paper ...
...ruly realize the false reality that literature made. The reader also has a huge role into expressing these false realities to the public, which can cause prejudice in the near future. People need to be open and understanding of different people and situations. Perspective plays a huge role into the thinking of a human mind, and readers should be more aware of the information’s brought upon different ways. Readers should not come up with a preconceived idea based upon the beliefs of other people perspective but should experience these different societies.
Adiga, Aravind. The White Tiger: A Novel. New York: Free, 2008. Print.
Brodsky, Joseph. A Commencement Address: Joseph Brodsky. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Mar. 2014.
"Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie :The Danger of a Single Story." Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: The Danger of a Single Story. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Mar. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- To what extent can literature have an affect on the way we judge society. Humans are naturally able to make a first impression on countries, religions, and people based upon their own beliefs. Writers are grown up in different societies and express their own beliefs on countries, religion and people through their own life experiences. Writers have enough power to change the reader’s preconceived ideas by the writers sharing of their own perspective on their beliefs. Through analyzing different forms of literature such as White Tiger by Aravind Adiga, Joseph Brodsky’s “A commencement Address,” and watching Chimamanda Adichie’s “The Danger of a Single Story” I have realized that reading litera... [tags: Countries, Religions, People, Beliefs, Writings]
1269 words (3.6 pages)
- Violence in Literature Have you ever wondered if literature has an effect on people that read it. Well I believe it does, and violence in literature has a negative effect on the people who allow themselves to be susceptible to it. People who read violent literature, or see violent media are more likely to break laws and commit horrible deeds and may even go so far as murdering someone. There has been so much violence in this world already, which is why I don’t understand why authors of books, tv shows and movies continue to write graphic, aggressive events that seem realistic.... [tags: Violence, Aggression]
1345 words (3.8 pages)
- In 1445, Johann Gutenberg invented the printing press and changed the world forever. Before this miraculous invention, the only way people could copy literary texts was by hand, which was a very tedious and expensive process. With the help of Gutenberg’s genius, reading materials spread across Europe with more speed than ever because the inexpensive cost of bookmaking led to a rise in sales from the people during that time period. The first book printed was the Bible in Latin, which has since gone on to be the most translated and purchased book in the world.... [tags: influences in history and the world]
1758 words (5 pages)
- Literature is a very powerful tool that is used to make a huge impact on society or in someone’s perspective. Literature comes in different forms and each literature form fits in a certain category or role to help understand the true meaning of it. From playwrights to short stories, each one has moral lesson, a message or a reflection of the author. I have witnessed the power of literature several times. Literature has moved teens to better being; it has motivated unfortunate people to fame, used as an educational process of teaching and most of all, entertainment.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1225 words (3.5 pages)
- Each and every society and culture in the world, past and present, has been influenced by literature as it has helped shape the human society for a very long time. Literature is not just a piece of writing with sophisticated, intellect and harmonious words, but a lifestyle and a way to express and share one’s knowledge, emotions, opinions and justifications. Literature has a harmonious relationship with a person which is connected by a person’s morality, behavior, attitude and lifestyle, and helps flourish spirituality and purity of the heart.... [tags: Sociology, African American, Racism, Puerto Rico]
1296 words (3.7 pages)
- The relationship between society and literature is really interesting when it comes to the topic romance and forbidden love in novels is very interesting some authors call it romanticism one fictional novel that has to do with romanticism is twilight. Some textual quotes from the novel is Bella quotes to her father “Love is not something that just a thing you just say or act, love is something you can’t describe and I love Edward no matter if he’s a vampire or not. This involves society and literature because in all of the novel Edward and Bella was a prime example on why love can conquer all even included the love that Jacob had for her.... [tags: Love, Novel, Romance, English-language films]
1461 words (4.2 pages)
- Pietas was important in Roman society and most of the Romans lives revolved around it. Pietas means sense of duty, which includes, devotion to gods, ethics, morality, country and family. (Class Notes) Romans must show proper behavior towards gods, country and their families. Virgil shows pietas in the novel, The Aeneid. He expresses pietas through main character, Aeneas’, actions and behaviors. Through examples of pietas, a clear parallel can be drawn comparing the Romans, Augustus and Aeneas. Pietas is clearly described in the novel, As The Romans Did, by Jo-Ann Shelton.... [tags: Pietas, Rome, history, ]
637 words (1.8 pages)
- The literature of a country is affected and influenced by how the people of that country live. This paper will prove that The French Revolution greatly influenced 19th Century French Romanticism. First, the cultural values of the revolution will be identified. Then, the different aspects of Romanticism will be presented. The cultural values of The French Revolution and Romanticism will then be linked. Finally, literary examples will be shown to support this connection between the two movements.... [tags: essays research papers]
1235 words (3.5 pages)
- The human mind is filled with plots of revenge and attempts to counteract this. We spend most of our lives thinking about how to extract satisfaction from a person or moment in time that did us wrong. In the world today, revenge runs rampant in the western world. Third world nations and organizations claim to be extracting revenge for their exploitations by the westerners. I am not the one to decide if this is justified but like with most cases of revenge there are always innocent people that suffer.... [tags: revenge, satisfaction]
516 words (1.5 pages)
- Fear and Loathing in a Clockwork AgeAh. The noble search for identity. That intangible achievement that all artists lust after and lay in torment over. And during the post war era that struggle reached incredible magnitudes. The world cried out for legions of anti-heroes, who were only virtuous in their unapologetic and brutally honest lack of virtue. And the art world provided as many counter culture messiahs as was needed to "Damn the Man". The Beats, hippies, and punks are evidence that behind the white picket fence of suburbia lay an America that wanted more out of life than the sugar coated portrayals of domesticity and patriotism it received from pop culture.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
5815 words (16.6 pages)