In comparison to Chinese Education, American education provides freedom to students to think and to study by themselves. In most Chinese colleges, students should graduate in a limited time consisting of four years except some special majors such as medicine. Also, the students do not have the freedom to choose teachers they would like to learn from, so teachers often have the same schedule to teach students to make sure each students are treated fairly as well. In Chinese college, the most important thing that we need to do is to receiving and remembering: Paulo Freire defined this kind of education as “the banking concept of education” (Freire 72). Receiving and remembering is the easiest way for Chinese students to learn. Students need some time to remember what the teacher had taught before exams. Freire claims the banking concept of education makes students become less creative (73). It is not good for my future job, because I cannot figure out the problems by myself and I do not have some good ideas to improve the companies. The education style in America is really different. I need to spend some time before the class so I can communicate with classmates and teachers. In some classes, teachers may ask us to read some article to understand the main idea and then I need to write an essay based on my opinions and sources. According to Freire, the education in American Colleges is problem-posting education it is a kind of liber...
... middle of paper ...
...a, I need to read more books by myself so I can communicate with American and help me learn more skills so I can express myself better. Additionally, studying more skills by myself can do well in some classes such as American history and Government. The improvement of my literacy—learning ability can help me take part in American life,
The problem-posting concept of education in America helps me improve my learning ability that I had formed in the banking-concept of education in China. In China, my sponsors are my teachers, because they taught me a lot of skills that I need to remember the class material. However, my sponsor is my parents in America, they provide me a good environment to study. I need to work hard on my English and spend more time on self-studying. The improvement of learning ability changes my life such as finding a job in the future and daily life.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Links to QCAA Senior Syllabus Guidelines The topic of four texts for senior secondary students with advanced or upper intermediate language level of Chinese is about dining in a Chinese restaurant. It is under one of four prescribed themes ‘Leisure, recreation and human creativity’ in the Chinese Senior Syllabus required by QCAA (2008). The unit mainly focuses on introducing Chinese food culture and dining etiquette. Through learning of this unit, apart from mastering linguistic features in both spoken and written language and improving receptive and productive communication capabilities, students can enhance their inter-culture knowledge and competence and effective communicative skills req... [tags: Linguistics, Language, Writing, Chinese cuisine]
1321 words (3.8 pages)
- All forms of communication are social and political acts, which can be used to influence people’s life, opinion, and what’s more, lead to social change. In reading activities, readers are active participants in the reading process (Freire, 1972a). In order to fully take part in the reading process, readers need to consider both their own, as well as the writers’ context and their ways of valuing things. A very good example is Bauer’s remarks on stray animals, which we have discussed in class. If we only look at the comment part of the stray animals, we may consider more about the grandmother’s background and social condition, in order to find out the reasons of her attitude toward stray anim... [tags: communication, context, thinking]
735 words (2.1 pages)
- ... Bilingualism opens many doors of opportunity and benefits, not only to the individual but also the country. With more and more two-way bilingual immersion schools opening, the rest of the United States should follow suit, basing their programs off of successful schools in Utah and Minnesota. All TWBI school should have the same three goals: Students will perform on grade level academically; Students will develop high levels of language and literacy ability in their first and second languages; Students will develop positive cross-cultural attitudes (Howard).... [tags: academic, education, language]
962 words (2.7 pages)
- Between the late 19th and early 20th century, a more diverse America, specifically in the South and West, had begun to noticeably come into existence. In South America, a number of African Americans are known to have first been present as slaves to the white men for many years, until after the North’s success in the Civil War. Moreover, soon after China’s devastating loss in the Opium War against the British, as well as around the time of the California Gold Rush, copious amounts of Chinese immigrants were found to be overflowing into the Western part of America.... [tags: social issues, diversity]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- What is language. Language is the basic and indispensable thing in human’s life. Language is a bridge of communication between people, country or world. Language is also linked with the countries culture. In the world, there are many kinds of language can use to communicate. Language can use to make self expression or understanding other people. Language is processed in many different locations in the human brain, but especially in Broca's and Wernicke's areas. Children generally speak fluently when they are approximately three years old.... [tags: communication, body, Chinese]
1025 words (2.9 pages)
- This fall, Peter Li will join an exodus of Chinese students boarding planes for the flourishing campuses of American colleges to start his new life there. Li, currently a high school student in Shanghai, will be enrolling the WESL program at Western Illinois University to improve his English before pursue a bachelor degree there. But like many other Chinese students who don’t speak English fluently, Li might not have been accepted without a little help. The 18-year-old and his parents hired an education agent in China to “elaborate” on the essay he submitted as part of his application. “Actually, the agency helped my application with both forged transcripts and fake essays,” he says.... [tags: Chinese Students]
535 words (1.5 pages)
- Discourse communities (DC) are not a new in this world; they began at when society existed in the world. Gee, “a member of the National Academy of Education” proposed a definition of DCs that is a group of people who have similar interests, symbol, acting or beliefs (“James Gee”). The definition of DC is varied, any kinds of group or a few people who have some similar characters could be a DC(Gee). For example, OU is a big DC because most members in OU are going to study; they get the same belief and symbols, the “sooner citizens.” In the OU DC, there could also be some sub-DCs because the students who have some similar interests can be put into different groups, and the OU Society of Chines... [tags: Culture of China, China, Han Chinese]
1610 words (4.6 pages)
- A great way for college students to save money What college student doesn 't want to save money while going to a university or a Jr. college. when you go to any college tuition is not cheap it can be pretty pricey. you have to spend hundreds of dollars for books, new or used. they can add up when you are going full time. two easy ways to save money on books is by using the internet. if you teacher uses an old book that semester. you can always search the title of the book and find the pdf of it and print it out for free.... [tags: University, Student, A Great Way to Care]
841 words (2.4 pages)
- The purpose of this study is to figure out which ways experienced teachers work best with culturally and linguistically diverse students. This study illustrates which strategies experienced teachers have found to work best. The diversity in school in the United States has increased each year. This means that there are an increasing amount of students who are learning English, English language learners (ELLs). This article comes from the perspective that each child should be taught to their specific needs.... [tags: teaching culturally diverse students]
921 words (2.6 pages)
- Differentiation is the key for these students. All students may be working on the same objective, but for this group, the assignment will be given in a different style to accommodate their learning. This will help ensure that they complete understand the material being taught. The student may just need the process or the product of the material to be different. The distinction between below – average readers and severely disable readers is an important one. Wherever we as educators draw the line separating the two groups, the idea is that instruction should vary depending on the severity of a child’s reading difficulty.... [tags: Literacy]
1713 words (4.9 pages)