Limon uses character development to show a large array of traits and behaviors that give her characters the complexity of a real human being. In the novel, Father Benito is a dynamic character that, due to the events in the plot, makes a basic internal change in character. In one part of the novel, Father Benito is shocked “to hear his voice utter the words his mind had refused to acknowledge, and he felt objection wrapping itself around him, pressing down on him. He wanted to run away from this women who [has] a way of prying out thoughts and feelings of which even he was not aware” (p.43). After talking a bit with Huitzitzilin, Father Benito has changed from a stern religious priest to a more...
... middle of paper ...
...to interfere with the “sinner”, Huitzitzilin. Another internal conflict is when Huitzitzilin has to deal with whether it is “his sin, and not the woman’s”(53). In both, Huitzitzilin and Benito has to deal with their internal conflicts so they are able to understand each other. As Benito understand and feels more comfortable, he understands how to be in Huitzitzilin’s shoes. As Huitzitzilin deals with her dilemma, she learns how to care about herself and others.
In order to understand another culture, one must be compassionate when trying to fit in “someone else’s shoes”. One must be able to treat someone with the same care as if he/she is one of his or her own people. Limon exhibits this idea through her use of point of view, characterization, and internal conflict. When people are treat other equally, regardless of race, is when culture are properly understand.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Imagine living in a civilization that practiced beautiful ritual dances and ceremonies. Then one day, that civilization does not exist anymore because another civilization decided to conquer them. In the novel “Song of the Hummingbird,” written by Graciela Limo, an Aztec women named Huitzitzilin, which means Hummingbird, tells her life story to a Father Benito Lara, along with confessing her sins from her lifetime. I find this novel to be very informative because it tells the reader the truth on what actually happened between the Spaniards and the Aztecs.... [tags: Aztec, Mexico City, Hernán Cortés, Forgiveness]
1056 words (3 pages)
- ... There might be great chaos all around her, but the mother stays focused on the child and the child’s needs. Another example is, picture two young lovers sitting on a park bench, they’re both at Level 2 with their attention completely focused on the other person, and they can be oblivious to the world around them. They are two people completely at Level 2, listening intently to every word and “listening” for every nuance in the conversation. As a listener operating at level 2 you are focusing totally on the speaker, listening to their words, tone of voice and body language and are not distracted by your own thoughts and feelings.... [tags: internal, focused and active listening]
1795 words (5.1 pages)
- ... Critical listening may be appropriate when seeking input to a decision, evaluating the quality of staff work or a subordinate’s capabilities, or conducting research Effective One strategy to ensuring the message transmitted is the message received uses good critical listening skills that probe the nature of the message using questioning techniques to better evaluate the logical content of the speaker’s message (Boone & Makhani, 2012; Campbell, 2011; Simmons, 2011; Wallace, 2013). These questions help the listener evaluate the message universal intellectual standards for accuracy, relevance, breadth, logic, significance, and fairness.... [tags: active listening, bias, stop interrupting]
1866 words (5.3 pages)
- “Can’t Help Falling In Love” was a top hit from the original singer Elvis Presley. His album was called Blue Hawaii. “Somewhere Over The Rainbow” was also a big hit sung by Bruddah Iz who was actually born and raised in Hawaii. These songs were made many years ago, but their beautiful tune still live on today through covers. The cover I chose is called “Can’t Help Falling Over The Rainbow” and it is sung by Kenny Holland and his little sister Capri. They posted their video on YouTube on September 19, 2016 and since then 165,126 people have heard/watched it.... [tags: Love, Emotion, Song, Elvis Presley]
1550 words (4.4 pages)
- A skill, according the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, is a learned power of doing something competently: a developed aptitude or ability. The skill of listening is a skill that I believe everyone should have but most people lack. Many people do not realize that listening is not merely the act of hearing a sound but of paying close attention to what someone is saying and trying to understand the message that they are trying to relate to you. Most times people say they are listening when in all actuality they are merely hearing you but not even attempting to understand what is being spoken of.... [tags: Communication Listening Interaction]
759 words (2.2 pages)
- Hummingbirds have evolved certain behavioural and physical traits which allows for them to be more energetically efficient, such as specialized storage and digestion adaptations, feeding and flying adaptations and breathing adaptation. Hummingbirds are extremely small and their muscles for flight are highly oxygen-dependent and require large amounts of energy. Hummingbirds are one of the smallest endotherms and any energetic output can be metabolically stressful. The hummingbirds’ small body size means that they have very little room for energy storage and therefore often endure energetic and metabolic stresses.... [tags: Animal Research ]
1138 words (3.3 pages)
- Life As A Hummingbird I eased behind the huge mass of nesting material and took a firm hold of several strands, I then pulled back, quickly, to pull them free. The jarring concussion, which followed, took me by suprise. I tried to get my bearings as the ground rushed up to meet me and recovered about two feet from the ground. After that near miss I climbed back to the altitude I had been at and started searching for my tormentor. I realized that I had grabbed hold of a human's hair and that he had not been happy about it.... [tags: Creative Writing Essays]
667 words (1.9 pages)
- Flight in Toni Morisson's Song of Solomon I do not have the fondest memories of moving to this area. Of everyone in my family, I was the only one who did not want to move. I had no choice, however, so I had to live with it. Seeing how depressed I was, my parents decided to do something special for my birthday. Ever since I was little I had always dreamed of flying, so when we were in Crawford looking for property, my parents arranged for someone to take me up. The day was cold, cloudy and dreary, but the realization that I was actually going to fly made up for it.... [tags: Song Solomon essays]
1149 words (3.3 pages)
- The Song Many of John Donne's poems are on the subject of love and equally as many on the subject of sex. As a love poet, especially when Donne writes vividly on his wife he is very much concerned with his subject (his wife) however he can appear selfish and cold in the more sexual referenced poems. To fully make my point I have studied two poems, which I believe show his character as less self-absorbed as in the sexual referenced poems. This poem is written for his wife and is essentially saying goodbye as he is leaving her 'physically' but arguing that she mustn't be sad of his departure and instead arguing that they are not really parting and each verse is a different 'image' or argument... [tags: John Donne The Song Essays]
1822 words (5.2 pages)
- Listening Skills The importance of listening effectively is obvious to our everyday activities. The fundamentals of listening appear to be quite simple; however, with a little thought on the matter, the depth of the listening is far from basic. The similarities between hearing and listening can be deceiving. Hearing is a physical process and listening is both physical and psychological. There are several purposes of listening. If you are a good listener, it will be a huge help in school, at work, in relationship, and in other situations.... [tags: Listening Skills Listen Essays]
940 words (2.7 pages)