George Gershwin was born on the 26th of September, 1896 in Brooklyn, New York. His original name was Jacob Gershwin. He was the son of Russian immigrants; his dad, Morris (Moishe) Gershowitz changed his last name to Gershwin when he came to United States from Russia. Her mother, Rosa Bruskin was also a Russian immigrant. His parents were poor and they lived in a bad condition in New York. George Gershwin had three siblings and they all had musical talents. Ira Gershwin was George Gershwin’s older brother and later he wrote lyrics for George Gershwin’s famous songs and liked work with him. Frances Gershwin, his younger sister also had musical talents. Arthur Gershwin was his younger brother and was also a composer.
He started music in 1910, when he was 12. His family bought a piano for his older brother Ira. Before that, he had already been able to play some popular pieces. He learnt it through his friend, Max Rosenzweig. He liked jazz music and taught himself to play the piano. Then, he could take piano lessons. His first teacher was Charles Hambitzer. Hambitzer wrote a letter to his sister and said, “I have a new pupil who will make his mark if anybody will. The boy is a genius.” (A+E Television Networks, 2013) George Gershwin mentioned that Charles Hambitzer was the first person who had a great musical influence to his life. George Gershwin was taught classical music by Mr Hambitzer but he was also encouraged his talents in jazz music.
George Gershwin enrolled in the Hi...
... middle of paper ...
David Schiff (1997). Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-55953-9., quotation is from jacket copy
Encyclopaedia Britannica. 2013. George Gershwin. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/231877/George-Gershwin
Encyclopaedia Britannica. 2013. Rhapsody in Blue. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/231877/George-Gershwin/215458/Rhapsody-in-Blue
IMSLP. 2012. Rhapsody in Blue (George Gershwin). http://imslp.org/wiki/Rhapsody_in_Blue_(Gershwin,_George)
Lozoya, A. n.d. A Special concert, tribute to George Gershwin. http://www.atencionsanmiguel.org/2013/08/16/a-special-concert-tribute-to-george-gershwin/
National Arts Centre. 2013. George Gershwin. http://www.artsalive.ca/en/mus/greatcomposers/gershwin.html
Paul Helm. 2013. George Gershwin. http://www.52composers.com/gershwin.html
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- According to Biography.com, George Gershwin was born in Brooklyn, New York on September 26, 1898. He was born the son of Russian-Jewish immigrants. His natural ability lead him to professionally play the piano at age 15 which lead to him dropping out of school. He was known as one of the most meaningful American composers as he popular stage and screen numbers and classical compositions. Taking a look into his work throughout his lifetime will allow one to understand his fame and his style of music.... [tags: Music, George Gershwin, Porgy and Bess]
801 words (2.3 pages)
- ... His first teacher was Charles Hambitzer. Hambitzer wrote a letter to his sister and said, “I have a new pupil who will make his mark if anybody will. The boy is a genius.” (A+E Television Networks, 2013) George Gershwin mentioned that Charles Hambitzer was the first person who had a great musical influence to his life. George Gershwin was taught classical music by Mr Hambitzer but he was also encouraged his talents in jazz music. George Gershwin enrolled in the High School of Commerce in 1912 when he was 14 but he dropped out of school a year after and started job as a performer in New York.... [tags: successful American pianist and composer]
784 words (2.2 pages)
- George Gershwin is one of the greatest influences to American music in the 20th century. His compositions can be found throughout the entertainment world, ranging from Broadway to motion pictures. Though he had a short career, George Gershwin's music continues to bring inspiration and delight almost sixty years later. On September 26, 1898 George Gershwin was born to the Gershowitz family as Jacob Gershowitz. The Gershowitzs' were an immigrant family that lived in Brooklyn, NY at the time. His parents, Morris and Rose, were Russian immigrants that owned a restaurant.... [tags: Musician Music Biography Gershwin]
907 words (2.6 pages)
- George Gershwin was arguably the greatest influence on 20th century music. Gershwin’s music was composed of both popular and classical musical genres, but his most popular refrains are extensively known. Gershwin’s work have been used and heard in many movies, plays including Broadway, and fit for television. George Gershwin today remains one of the greatest and most influential musical composers and pianists of all time. On September 26, 1898, in Brooklyn, New York the legend was born. George Gershwin the son of Russian-Jewish immigrants.... [tags: piano, classic, compositions]
909 words (2.6 pages)
- Early life George Gershwin (originally Jacob Gershvin) was born on September 26, in Brooklyn, New York to Russin-Jewish immigrants Rosa Gershvin, and Morris Gershvin. George was named after his grandfather Jakov Gershowitz. He grew up with his older brother, Ira, who was also musically inclined. Soon after the birth of Ira and George, the Gershwin family was blessed with two more children, Arthur and Frances. George Gershwin began playing music at a very young age, beginning when he was intrigued by the music played at a friend's violin recital.... [tags: American composer and pianist]
569 words (1.6 pages)
- George Gershwin’s Life George Gershwin was a popular and successful American pianist and composer. He composed music for movies, Broadway musicals, opera and the concert hall. He combined classical music and jazz to create his style and was well known for his composition, “Rhapsody in Blue.” As a result of George Gershwin’s composition which included adding jazz elements to classical music, this classical music became popularized. George Gershwin was born on the 26th of September, 1898 in Brooklyn, New York.... [tags: American Pianist, Composer]
1202 words (3.4 pages)
- Imagine this: it’s the night of your cousin’s big wedding. After walking down the aisle and saying their “I do’s,” it’s time for the reception. After everyone get’s their glass of champagne or other various mixed drink, the DJ comes on stage. “Ladies and gentlemen,” he announces, “it’s time to announce the wedding party.” He goes through the whole list of people, stopping just after the bride and groom are announced. “And now the new bride and groom would like to do a special dance!” It’s time for the first dance; something they have been waiting for their whole lives.... [tags: song, album, lyrics, songwriter]
893 words (2.6 pages)
- George Gershwin was an American composer and pianist. He expressed the times he lived in through his music. Some of his best known works are the orchestral compositions “Rhapsody in Blue,” “An American in Paris,” and the opera “Porgy and Bess.” His compositions have been adapted for use in many films and for television, and several became jazz standards recorded in many different ways. His compositional style was somewhat like his jazz piano improvisations in that he “varied” melodies more than he “developed” them.... [tags: jazz standards, adaptations for film scores]
892 words (2.5 pages)
- George Gershwin (1898-1937) George Gershwin, born in Brooklyn, New York on 26 September 1898, was born the second of four children of Morris and Rose Gershovitz, Russians who immigrated to New York in 1891. George and his family lived on Manhattan's lower east side in a poor Jewish community. After settling down in New York, his father changed the family name to Gershvin. It was George who later altered his last name to Gershwin when he entered the professional world of music. Most of his family was not musically talented, but his brother Ira became a wonderful well-known musician.... [tags: Musician Composer Music Biographies Essays]
1263 words (3.6 pages)
- One of the most influencial composers of the 1920’s was George Gershwin. Gershwin was the most celebrated and wealthiest American composers of the 1920’s. In this paper I will discuss Gershwin’s life as a child and his upbringing and how his music expressed the dreams of every American Citizen by mixing different styles of music like Jewish, black, jazz, classical, blues and put them into one genre and created absolute music. George Gershwin was born in Brooklyn, New York on September 26, 1898.... [tags: essays research papers]
1635 words (4.7 pages)