Zappos is an online shoe and clothing store. The idea of an online shoe store originally came from Nick Swinmurn in the year 1999. He then pitched the idea to Alfred Lin and Zappos’ current CEO Tony Hsieh. Zappos quick rise to success is mostly attributed to their ten core values. These values vary from creating fun and weirdness to being humble. However, the root of this company’s success lies only on one important thing: their regard for customer service. They value the quality time spent with customers over the phone rather than the quantity of customers.
Currently, Zappos’ headquarters is located in Las Vegas, Nevada. In 2009, the company was acquired by Amazon.
Tony Hsieh is a full-blooded Taiwanese but was born in the state of Illinois. He graduated from Harvard University with a degree in computer science. During his years in Harvard as a Quincy House resident, he created the Quincy House Grille which sells pizza to the people in his dorm. He later on entered the corporate world but found no interest in it; thus, starting up his own venture. On 2007, Hsieh received the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year award.
Aside from being CEO of Zappos.com, he is also the co-founder of Link Exchange and the general manager of Venture Frogs, LLC, which is an investment firm that invested in startups like Ask Jeeves, and of course, Zappos.com.
In 2010, he authored a book called Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose, wherein he details the various business lessons he’s learned throughout his life starting from his lemonade stand and pizza business leading up to Link Exchange, Zappos, and the rest. He shows that using happiness as a framework can garner you p...
... middle of paper ...
...istic of a creative person, here comes the book that he himself wrote, Delivering Happiness. Mr. Hsieh wrote it as an adviser and an investor but his becoming an adviser really allowed me to see more of his creative side. The creativity in a trying to turn something very simple into something that will help the people around him sense. He didn’t exactly have artworks but this is the way that someone in the business area may exemplify one’s creativity.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Tony Kushner’s play, Angels in America, comments on a number of social issues of its time; ranging from political to societal. Additionally, it incorporates many concepts discussed in the Modern Condition courses. Thinkers such as Nietzsche, Borges, and DeBeauvoir are specifically represented in the play through the characters presented. Kushner uses his characters to convey the ideas of these thinkers in the context of the culture the play takes place in. Nietzsche’s ideas are most clearly reflected in Roy Cohn: a power driven, “heterosexual” lawyer, “who fucks around with guys” (Kushner 52).... [tags: Tony Kusher, Play Analysis, Social Issues]
1031 words (2.9 pages)
- In A Thief of Time, Tony Hillerman's characters display perspectives of diverse cultural backgrounds. In Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn we see a shared heritage, as well as their contrasting points of view which stem from choosing different values to live by. Quite a few characters in Hillerman's book, who are not of Navajo blood, connect themselves with Navajo culture through digs, collection, and personal gain. This essay will briefly touch on the view points of three characters; Jim Chee, Joe Leaphorn, and Richard DuMont.... [tags: Tony Hillerman]
808 words (2.3 pages)
- Zappos is an online clothing and shoe shop in Las Vegas, which has become one of the world’s largest online stores since its inception in 1999.The case discusses in detail the reason that a small entrepreneur became a world class entrepreneur to establish such a successful business model. Zappos was not a business model that floated and vanished after a while, but the principles and values inculcated in its roots by the founders made it a successful model. It touched the pinnacle of glory, when the company announced that Amazon would acquire it in a stock deal worth around 1.2 billion Dollars.... [tags: Customer service, Customer, Tony Hsieh, Sales]
723 words (2.1 pages)
- The Life and Accomplishments of Louis Pasteur According to the Encyclopedia Britannica (2013) Louis Pasteur was both a chemist and a microbiologist. This human was a man of many great accomplishments who made many contributions to the field of science, technology and medicine. Louis Pasteur was a pioneer of his field and should be greatly respected. Without his contributions we would not have many of the cures to some of the most deadly viruses and diseases. We would also not be able to enjoy a lot of the food and drinks that we consume daily without the threat of possibly becoming sick.... [tags: vaccinutions, pasteurization, science, medicine]
1367 words (3.9 pages)
- The Life and Accomplishments of Maya Angelou Maya Angelou has inspired me in more ways than one, and I had to write about her. When Maya speaks people listen. She has this wisdom that only few have, especially when life wasn’t always great. She turned tragedy into triumph, and helped others in doing so. So, Maya has proven too many women, especially black women that you succeed, even if you have had a child in your teen years. She’s proof that with determination nothing is unattainable. I chose to write the paper as a timeline of Maya Angelou’s life.... [tags: Biography ]
1735 words (5 pages)
- George Barker was a famous England poet. A quote from one of his poems says it best. “She is a procession no one can follow after” is taken from “A Sonnet to My Mother.” This quote refers to how special George’s mother was to him as his poetry was to the England. George’s poetry was important to the world (Barker 2006). George Barker’s early life began in England. Barker was born on February 26, 1913. He was born in Essex, England. His mother was Irish, and his dad was English. George and his parents were poor and lived in an area of west London.... [tags: english literature, george barker, poetry]
996 words (2.8 pages)
- Between the 1921, APFA (American Professional Football Association) season and the 2013, NFL (National Football League) season, more than 125 Green Bay Packers players attempted a pass, and the team had 51 different starting quarterbacks (“Records”). A quarterback is “a back in football who usually lines up immediately behind the center and directs the offense of the team” (“Quarterback”). Out of all the starting quarterbacks for Green Bay, only two are enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Arnie Herber and Bryan Bartlett “Bart” Starr (“Records”).... [tags: quarterback, green bay, bart starr, packers]
1012 words (2.9 pages)
- Most of the characters in Tony Kushner's Angels in America struggle with their sexuality. Reflected in this struggle, the homosexual characters are flawed to the degree at which they hide their sexuality. Prior, Belize, Louis, Joe, and Roy all deal with this issue in the course of the play. Prior is the least closeted homosexual while Roy is the most. Prior is chosen to be a prophet, is morally upright, and represents good. Roy, the unlawful lawyer, represents evil. Belize, Louis, and Joe fall in between Prior and Roy on the scale.... [tags: Tony Kushner Angels America Essays]
2040 words (5.8 pages)
- The Life and Accomplishments of Eli Whitney Historians believe that one of the greatest pioneers in the birth of automation, American inventor, pioneer, mechanical engineer, and manufacturer Eli Whitney. He is best remembered as the inventor of the cotton gin. He made his first violin when he was only 12. Eli started college when he was 23, in 1788. He left for Georgia and got his first look at cotton business. He graduated from Yale in 1792, and went to Savannah, Georgia to teach and study law.... [tags: Biography Biographies Essays]
846 words (2.4 pages)
- During my life I had some accomplishments. But, I will tell you the truth I cannot call them as my great accomplishments. At this point of my life I had the two greatest events. My first event was my high school graduation. The second event, which was the biggest and the most unforgettable was my wedding day. First event that I accomplished was when I got my high school diploma. Even though finishing high school was not an easy task for me, those days were the best moments of my life. I always knew that if I would finish high school and then hold the diploma in my hands I would always make my parents and of course feel very proud.... [tags: Personal Narrative, Informative]
323 words (0.9 pages)
- The validity of dopamine transfer deficit theory in ADHD SHR model.
- The Media's Impact on Aboriginal Identity
- Analysis of the Effects of the Arab Spring on Bahrain and Qatar
- Gender Roles in Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
- Surveillance Robot with Obstacle Sensing and Motion Detector
- Experimental Utilization Of 2-Ethoxy Ethyl Acetate