Currently, pit bulls have been reported by the media with very horrific and disturbing news of having attacked a child or being shot by a police due to aggression while some are reported to have been abused or neglected by its owners (Forderer and Unkelbach 534). And because the reports keep coming with heated discussions, more and more people have forged a frightening image of pit bulls even to the extreme of refusing to take care of such breed. Pit bull advocates claim that the dogs get a bad reputation considering that people should learn the dogs are not inherently aggressive. What the pit bull advocates would like to point is that the owners of the pit bulls should be considered guilty for mishandling of their own dogs. There are owners of pit bulls that even encourage the dog to be aggressive in order to fight and protect them in a wrong manner and wrong degree of training (Forderer and Unkelbach 536). Pit bull advocates claimed that a well socialized and well trained pit bull would be very intelligent and could be one of the gentle dogs imaginable.
Thesis Statement: Pit bulls are like any breed of dogs that needs to be handled properly by their owners because they can be taught to be less aggressive and more loyal.
II. The Breed
The American Pit Bull is considered as a genuine breed because there are various breeds of pit bull that could have been mixed with other dogs. Pit bulls were raised for baiting larger animals during the hunting seasons. With the faithfulness of t...
... middle of paper ...
...e of their loyalty to their owners and how they did well with their job (Foster 54). During the World War I, pit bulls were asked to warn soldiers of gas attacks, found wounded men and even listened and warned soldiers of artillery rounds. Even in movies and advertisements, pit bulls were also famous in the campaigns of Levis, Buster Brown Shoes and even Wells Fargo. And even during the World War II. President Theodore Roosevelt kept a pit bull. During the World Trade Center incident of 9/11, pit bulls were asked to look for survivors.
Forderer, Sabine and Unkelbach, Christian. Hating the cute kitten or loving the aggressive
pit bull: EC effects depend on CS–US relations. Cognition and Emotion, No. 26 Vol. 3., 2012, pp. 534 – 540.
Foster, Ken. I'm a Good Dog: Pit Bulls, America's Most Beautiful and Misunderstood Pet.
New York: Studio, 2012.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- American Pit Bull Terrier, with a firm muscular body prepared to attack at any moment; jaws of steel that have a death grip, and a bark just as intimidating as their appearance would make anyone terrified of this breed. With the media so fixated on the Pit Bull breed, these dogs have been given a reputation of being aggressive and vicious. They are never reported on the respectable acts they do. The consequence of the media’s excessive enthusiasm, and numerous reported dog bites, have some states sense they are a danger to the community and have banned the breed.... [tags: American Pit Bull Terrier, Dogs, Breed]
1662 words (4.7 pages)
- Never Mind the Dog Beware of the Owner The American Pit Bull Terrier is a good breed of dogs that has earned its popularity throughout the world. The Pit bull is well known to be a loyal, brave and a very good companion to its owner. However, caution should be taken to avoid these terriers from getting into the hands of unethical owners. According to the United Kennel Club (UKC), the standard for the American Pit Bull Terrier is a dog that is square and powerful with a blocky head, prominent cheeks and jaw, taut, and muscular body.... [tags: Animals Dogs Pit Bull Terrier essays papers]
578 words (1.7 pages)
- The world seems to believe that the American Pit Bull Terrier is a vicious breed of dog, violent and ruthless by nature, and that they should be treated as such. However, what if this stereotype about the pit bull that modern society bases their opinions off of, is an improper representation of the breed. The pit bull faces much hatred and neglect in this day and age, but in their prime, the pit bull was considered to be the perfect dog. Although bred for physique and stature that was perfect in the dog-fighting world, the pit bull grew in popularity and became high demand as a man’s best friend.... [tags: bread, bulldog, ruthless]
1784 words (5.1 pages)
- What makes these two dogs so similar is that they are two of the top most popular breeds here in the United States. It has been said that dogs is man's best friend, and because of this, it makes them great companions. These two breeds, the Boxer and the American Staffordshire terrier fit very easily into family life. When an owner tells his dog that he is a good boy, the dog happily wags its tail. Then, there are those times when an owner has to discipline his dog, the dog, then creeps away with that sad puppy dog look on its face.... [tags: Animal Research ]
992 words (2.8 pages)
- Secrets and Lies Throughout our lives we are shaped and molded by our friends and family. They have a lasting affect that can shape our mind and our self. Self is determined by the combination of selves that surround a person on a daily basis. From the childhood friends that we try so hard to hang on to as we journey farther and farther into the real world, to the hated boss and teachers that haunt our mind as we lie awake in our beds at nighttime, we are a product of all those selves.... [tags: Secrets and Lies Essays]
1403 words (4 pages)
- The America Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) was breed to be a sport dog, they are athletic energetic and a good companion. That being said over the years their reputation has dropped dramatically form once being Americas most popular dog to Americas most hated and feared dog. Pit bulls are nothing like the poor reputation that they have, they are very smart, loving, and friendly dogs. In America, dogs have become part of families and it is not taboo to see them treated, loved and taken care of as if they were a blood relative.... [tags: dogs, doberman, ruthless dogs]
1621 words (4.6 pages)
- If you were told a story about a woman who was mauled so viciously by a dog that she had to undergo the world’s first face transplant. What breed would initially come to your mind. If you said a Pit Bull, you are among the majority, but you would be wrong. It was a Labrador retriever, which is currently the most popular breed of dog in the United States, and among the top ten in several other countries according to the UKC (Dorsey 4). Why do you think so many people would assume it was a Pit Bull.... [tags: Animal Research ]
1083 words (3.1 pages)
- James Loewen wrote the book ?Lies My Teacher Told ME. to help the students of the United States become aware of their true history. This book attempts to show how and why American history has been taught the way it has without regard for the truth. Mr. Loewen had compared twelve different history textbooks they are: The Great Republic, The American Way, Land of Promise, Rise of the American Nation, Challenge of Freedom, American Adventures, Discovering American History, The American Tradition, Life and Liberty, The United States .... [tags: Lies Teacher Told Loewen History Essays]
1436 words (4.1 pages)
- Both Sammy and Marlow in some way feel lonely by the end of their stories because they each feel like they have done something wrong. Sammy from A&P feels like he only hurt himself by quitting his job. Marlow feels like a big fat liar because he was lying to people trying to keep Kurtz’s image as clean as possible. Lying will never get you anywhere as we all know by now. Lets face it, when we were young we did some stupid things. Sometimes I spoke without even thinking. Or maybe doing the unthinkable just to impress a couple of hot looking girls.... [tags: Lying]
612 words (1.7 pages)
- Picture this for a second. You come home both mentally and physically exhausted after a strenuous day at school. All you want to do is watch TV and relax with your best friend. As you begin up the concrete cracked driveway, these thoughts linger in your mind. You push the key into the door handle but you notice something is wrong. There is no barking, no tail wagging, no sign of your best friend at the gate. All that is left is a notice on the front door explaining that your dog has been destroyed by the RSCPA.... [tags: essays research papers]
755 words (2.2 pages)