“Approximately 6.7 percent of the U.S. adult population identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT)” (Five LGBT Facts You Should Know). LGBT, also known as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgender are the four main things that fall under the sexual orientation category, this also includes heterosexuality (straight). Women who find other woman attractive are called lesbians, this is also known as homosexual woman. Homosexual men (Gay) are men who find other men attractive. Besides liking the same gender, there is also bisexual. Bisexual People find the same and opposite sex attractive. Transgender are people who are born as a male or female and later on change to the opposite sex. Transgender can also mean people who like to cross-dress and present as the opposite sex without going through any medical procedures. There are many people who don 't want to support the LGBT community. However, Americans need to change the way they treat, support, and regulate rights on the LGBT community.
Opposing Americans feel that LGBT people won 't be in any harm if they are forced to be straight. According to Hrc.org, “American Family Association (AFA) thinks fewer students will commit suicide if adults tell young people it is wrong to be LGBT and help them to “choose” to be straight-a practice that has been condemned by every major medical and mental health organization in the country” (Yes, The AFA is still a Hate Group). Not letting LGBT people pursue who they really are can cause physical and mental harm.
To start off, Americans need to change the way they treat the LGBT community. Pew Research center stated, “19% say there is “a lot” of social acceptance today and many say they have been victims of discrimi...
... middle of paper ...
...same rights to love who they want and make their own proper decision. Everyone should be treated equally no matter what their sexual orientation may be. Every human being has the same rights as others.
In conclusion, there has been many Americans who don 't support the LGBT community. However, treating, supporting, and regulating rights of the LGBT community are the key things that Americans need to change. Some Americans see the LGBT community as a disgrace to the American society. Others say that LGBT people can “change” and be heterosexual. Over all, helping someone you know that is LGBT can really change their lives. You are able to step up and be there for someone who really needs support. Americans may think LGBT people may “choose” what their sexual orientation is, But Americans really don 't know that being lesbian, Gay, Bi, or Trans isn 't an option.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- LGBT (Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) people have been campaigning for the acknowledgement of their rights for so long. Various social movements in many parts of the world have been organized for the rights and equal status of LGBT people in society. Today, a number of associations are working worldwide, although there is no central or collective organization that represents LGPT people. In Africa, the LGBT rights are not very much recognized; however, South Africa has a liberal approach in this regard.... [tags: Homosexuality, Gay, LGBT, Sexual orientation]
1223 words (3.5 pages)
- LGBT stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender. What does that mean though. A lesbian is a woman who is attracted or in a relationship with another woman. Gay means a male who is attracted to or involved with another man. A bisexual is a person who is attracted to both male and female counterparts. While transgender is defined as an individual “whose gender identity and/or gender expression differs from the sex they were assigned at birth.” (Rainbow Welcome Initiative, 2016) There are also some other letters, such as Q (Questioning or queer) and I (intersex), that are thrown in at times, but LGBT is the most common form.... [tags: Homosexuality, LGBT, Sexual orientation]
1652 words (4.7 pages)
- Due to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) rights in the world introduction wrote by Kelly Kollman and Matthew Waites, the world has been changed decades, and the LGBT movement is still continuing to develop. (2009) However, China has the highest population of the world, which also means it contains tremendous numbers of LGBT population. But compares to the western countries, the Chinese government seems to ignore this particular group spontaneously. The neglect of the LGBT group caused more problem for traditional heterosexual to understand and embrace the LGBT culture.... [tags: LGBT, Homosexuality, Gay, Sexual intercourse]
1384 words (4 pages)
- Diversity Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) For this group, there may be more ways for the abusive partner to perpetuate fear and intimidation. For example, it is common that an abuser will threaten to “out” his/her partner to their family or community if they expose the abuse. This fear of “outing” may also discourage the victim from calling the police or other places that might be able to help them. The abuser may reinforce the misconception that domestic violence laws will not apply to “them” and that no one will believe the victim/survivor due to their sexual orientation.... [tags: Abuse, Psychological abuse, Child abuse]
1018 words (2.9 pages)
- ... In 1951, a revision of the Jordanian Criminal Code legalized private, adult, and consensual sodomy, with the age of consent set at 16. The Jordanian penal code no longer allows family members to beat or kill a member of their own family whose sexuality is interpreted as brining “dishonor” to the family. As of 2013, the newly revised penal code makes Honor killings, as a legal justification for murder, illegal. Honor killing are acts of vengeance, usually death, committed by a male family members against female or male members, who are held to have brought dishonor upon the family.... [tags: discrimination, religion, family, judged]
518 words (1.5 pages)
- Older Adult Interview Topic Chosen The topic that I wanted to explore is successful aging in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community and what does that mean to this population of older adults. Additionally, what are some of the things impact this group in determining life satisfaction for this cohort. Additionally, does the term successful aging look at all factors that contribute to the theory and if not, what may be a better way to conceptualize the theory that is inclusive of all older adults.... [tags: Sociology, Retirement, Social capital, Old age]
1462 words (4.2 pages)
- In 1996, then Senate hopeful Barack Obama wrote “I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages” (Weinger). The timing of the statement could be directly related to then President Bill Clinton signing into law DOMA, or the Defense Against Marriage Act, initiated by Congress in a bold move that “prevented the federal government from recognizing any marriages between gay or lesbian couples for the purpose of federal laws or programs, even if those couples are considered legally married by their home state” (GLAAD).... [tags: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, LGBT]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- In a period of time when homosexuality is becoming more common and more accepted, it’s hard to hide yourself from this sexual minority. Gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and other sexual minorities can be found everywhere, so it’s no doubt one might see a gay couple in a business. However, many business owners find homosexual couples immoral and wrong based on religious beliefs, and they might even ask the couple to leave. Do they really have the right to do so. When people refuse service to a homosexual couple, whether it be based on religious grounds or not, is complete discrimination towards the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) community.... [tags: Homosexuality, Sexual orientation, LGBT, Lesbian]
1779 words (5.1 pages)
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Discrimination Discriminating against LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) and its consequences is something that people maybe never seriously think about, although many people get affected by it. The show, “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” elaborates on the issue of LGBT discrimination. The Equality Act of 2015 is a bill passed by the House of Representatives and Senate, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, gender, identity, and sexual orientation, and for other purposes.... [tags: Homosexuality, Sexual orientation, LGBT]
1510 words (4.3 pages)
- Everyone has different childhoods and I couldn’t imagine growing up keeping things from people just because I’m scared of what they would think. Christian Payne, an 18 year old, art education major at Missouri Western State University lived his young life scared of what people had to say about him and not wanting to be judged. Christian joined Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender club a couple days into his freshman year in college. LGBT is a group that stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender.... [tags: LGBT, Sexual orientation, Coming out, Transgender]
1010 words (2.9 pages)