... middle of paper ...
... Trajan was a codependent one, a worker and his supervisor. I am not shocked by Emperor Trajan's orders to kill Christians, however I do believe they were unnecessary and sadistic spurred from sheer trepidation of losing control of those he ruled. However, I am surprised that Trajan told Pliny not to seek them out or to bring anonymously posted allegations into the prosecutions. Nonetheless, Trajan's actions towards the Christians were unjust and immoral, no matter how accurate his fear might have been.
Pliny, Secundus. "Correspondence of Pliny and Trajan." Letter to Emperor Trajan. ad 111-113. Internet Ancient History Sourcebook. Web. 18 Mar. 2011.
Nietzsche, Friedrich. On the Genealogy of Morals. New York: Barnes & Noble, 1887. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In C.S. Lewis’ The Screwtape Letters is about about two demons: Screwtape and Wormwood, who are guiding a human being referred as “the patient”. Lewis presents to the audience in his work numerous practical theological insights regarding the fight against the passions and the development of the virtues. In letters eight and nine both mainly discuss about the Law of Undulation. In the eighth letter. it discusses about what is the Law of Undulation itself and how God makes us serve this law. In the other hand, the ninth letter also discusses about the law, but it specifically explain how do we as the devils make use of this law.... [tags: Human, Religion, The Screwtape Letters, Wormwood]
937 words (2.7 pages)
- The book The Persian Letters by Montesquieu is a fictional novel that was written by the author so he could comment on the society in which he was living. This novel has served as a good example of the ideas that were present during the early Enlightenment. There are many ideas and themes that Montesquieu discusses by using the point of view of two Persian travelers in Europe that correspond with letters to each other and others back in Persia. By using a foreigner's perspective, Montesquieu was able to present things in a way that gave a much more lasting effect then if he had used two Frenchman commenting on their own country.... [tags: Persian Letters Montesquieu]
974 words (2.8 pages)
- The book, The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis, shows how Screwtape uses subtlety and psychology when he is tempting human beings into sin. He plays with the patient’s imagination, emotions, will, and intellect. Also, he shows great shrewdness when encouraging sin that does not appear to be sin. Screwtape shows effective psychology in encouraging the patient to displace intellect and will in prayer with imagination and emotion, and he shows subtlety in encouraging gluttony of delicacy, pride in humility, and superiority in being part of an elite Christian social circle.... [tags: Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis, psychology, religio]
891 words (2.5 pages)
- When I was little, one of my favorite books of all time was The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis. I loved having one or two of the chapters read aloud to me before I went to bed. So when I peeked at the list of seven books, I knew automatically that I would want to read The Screwtape Letters, one of the same author’s earlier writings. Similarly to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the story is set around the beginning of World War II. Screwtape is writing the letters while living in hell, while I imagined Wormwood somewhere within his “patient’s” conscience.... [tags: The Screwtape Letters, C. S. Lewis, religion]
432 words (1.2 pages)
- In a period before telephones or cheap fast transportation, letter writing was very important to many families of Jane Austen’s day. Many 18th century literary works were in the form of a series of letters between the characters, such as Pride and Prejudice, this is written in epistolary form. Letters were the main form of communication between people, either near or far. In case of emergency, if the sender could afford it, the letter could be sent by a private messenger on horseback or by coach.... [tags: Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice]
976 words (2.8 pages)
- Dear President Jackson, Sir, I have been meaning to write to you recently. I am truly devoted to your beliefs on how to treat our growing nation. Currently, I am a Senator for the State of NJ, and I feel strongly confident that you will lead us to a stronger and better nation. The reason that I have felt the urge to write this letter to you persists to the formation of your spoils system. I am writing this letter to compliment you on your great accomplishment. Your spoils system gives many “common people” a spot in the national government.... [tags: writing letters]
328 words (0.9 pages)
- Dear Sir/Madame I am writing this letter to give my highest possible recommendation for Mr. Smith. I know Mr. Smith through his work in my office. Mr. Smith first approached me two years ago about the possibility of an internship in our company for the summer. At our first meeting I described the general outline of the project the he might work on. He asked good questions and appeared intelligent. He then went to the library and found many papers on the subject and read them carefully. He did this independently - I did not ask him to do this.... [tags: Letters of Recommendation]
356 words (1 pages)
- Permutation of Letters EMMA is investigating the amount of different arrangements of letters in her name; she does the same with her friend LUCY. LUCY has twice as many arrangements as EMMA, they are curious as to why this is and decide to investigate other names and find reasons for their answers. EMMA - emma, eamm, emam, aemm, amme, amem, meam, maem, mame, mema, mmea, mmea, LUCY - lucy, luyc, lycu, lyuc, lcyu, lcuy, ulcy, ulyc, uylc, uycl, ucly, ucyl, cluy, clyu, culy, cuyl, cyul, cylu, yluc, ylcu, yulc, yucl, yclu, ycul, [IMAGE] 24 [IMAGE... [tags: Papers]
803 words (2.3 pages)
- In the collection of the supplemental readings of the first week, we find four different excerpts from four different stories. These four are consist of an ancient-traditional story which belongs to the Pima; a letter written by Bartolome de Las Casas to be read at a Spanish colonization forum; a piece of the ship log of Christopher Columbus during his journey of 1492 and finally an extract by Jacques Cartier on meeting the Micmac Indians. The Pima Creation Story basically creates an abstract and more religious likely atmosphere to tell the story of the creation of the Earth, the living and the people.... [tags: World History Comparison Jacques Cartier Christoph]
1439 words (4.1 pages)
- Arranging Letters Firstly we arrange EMMA's Name. 1)EAMM 7)MAEM 2)EMAM 8)MAME 3)MEMA 9)AMME 4)MEAM 10)AEMM 5)MMEA 11)AMEM 6)MMAE 12)EMMA . . Secondly we arrange Lucy's name. 1)Lucy 12)Cyul 22)Yulc 2)Luyc 13)Culy 23)Ycul 4)Lycu 14)Culy 24)Yluc 5)Lcuy 15)Cylu 25)Ucyl 6)Lcyu 16)Clyu 7)Ulcy 17)Cuyl 8)Ucly 18)Yluc 9)Uycl 19)Yucl 10)Ulyc 20)Yclu 11)Uylc 21)Ylcu From these 2 investigation I worked out a method, To Use My Method I Preferred To Convert Letters into Numbers, It Makes No Difference: Step1: 1234---Do the last two number first then you get 1243.... [tags: Papers]
1800 words (5.1 pages)