Essay PreviewMore ↓
of Acapulco Gold. I think we are safe in saying that marihuana means many things to many people. As far back as August 2, 1937 President Franklin Roosevelt signed the Marihuana fox Act into law. Making the use and sale of Marihuana federal offices. Forty years later, president-Jimmy Carter officially
proposed to decriminalize marihuana, to remove criminal penalties for its use and for the now profit transfer of small amounts of it, while maintaining penalties for traffing. Before the 1960's, marihuna use was small and concentrated among marginal social groups. In the 1960's use expanded rapidly, spreading in particular to middle-class youths in the suburds and off college campuses.
Some major concerns about marihuna is the health problems involved with the drug. It can impair your ability to drive a car or operate machinery. Most scientist feel that alcohol is more dangerous than marihuns. Most people do not think that marihuna is addicting. If the government legalized marihuna it would be safer for you to know that it would not be laced with another drug. Some of the drugs that might be combined with marihuna might be cocaine,herion,LSD and other harder drugs. When people try to quit this drug it causes a lot of people to eccelerte their use of alcohol. Because marihuana causes you to eat a lot more and when they try to stop they start to lose weight.
How to Cite this Page
"Legalizing Marijuana." 123HelpMe.com. 21 Aug 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- What comes to mind when you think of drugs. Perhaps you think of the nightly news talking about killings on the streets or maybe you think of those unforgettable meth ads on television and billboards. But what seems to be very popular when the word drug comes up is the controversial ongoing debate on whether or not marijuana should be legalized. Many advocates believe prohibiting marijuana reduces crime, trafficking and increases health. However, marijuana is one of the most misunderstood drugs on the market.... [tags: legal marijuana]
1101 words (3.1 pages)
- Some people say that Marijuana is not additive, some say it is. If it’s known to be both then how can people really know how it affects the body. On an interview with Elvis Duran and the morning show Lady Gaga admitted that she was addicted to marijuana. She was doing 15 joints of marijuana without tobacco in them every day. In Lady Gaga’s life she has been addicted to some type of drug from a young age. She used the analogy of Lilly pad drugs. She would get to the point where she couldn’t go any further with one substance so she would have to go to the next substance.... [tags: Addiction, Drug, Marijuana, Weed]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- Are there advantages to legalizing marijuana in America. The issue of legalizing marijuana has long been a topic of discussion among state and federal government officials. Individuals on both sides of the argument vocalize great points for and against legalization. However, looking at the facts it would be very difficult to make a sound argument against the legalization of marijuana. Medical marijuana in California alone is estimated to be a 14 billion dollar a year industry generating millions of dollars in taxes for local and state government (Lacter 2011).... [tags: Drugs, Tax Revenue, Prison Populations]
1679 words (4.8 pages)
- Legalizing marijuana is a double-edged sword that is more likely to produce more negative outcomes than positive outcomes in society. Despite the fact that marijuana has found some applications in the medical field recently, it is questionable if legalizing marijuana would encourage people to use it as a herbal alternative to analgesic medication. In fact, it would encourage the growth and development of substance abuse disorders, create risk factors for abusing more dangerous substances, and implicate both community health and community stability.... [tags: Drugs]
1249 words (3.6 pages)
- For many years, humans and animals have equally relied on a gift from nature that is not only a miracle medicine, but also a sturdy building material and has many other uses. In the days that we currently live in, this gift has been banned and given a bad name for selfish reasons that until recently were not spoken of. Legalizing marijuana would make it too easily accessible for young people like children and college students. People would began purchasing the drug just because it is available and no longer illegal.... [tags: Crime Rate Percentage, Drug Policy]
897 words (2.6 pages)
- Abraham Lincoln once stated that, “Prohibition goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man’s appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes… A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.” In today’s society, this statement still applies in reference to the illegal use of marijuana. Marijuana prohibition causes far more harm than marijuana itself. Keeping marijuana illegal is expensive and causes crime.... [tags: Marijuana Illegal Drugs Weed Essays, hemp]
3944 words (11.3 pages)
- Marijuana is a misunderstood drug that is thought of as dangerous, when in fact it is in anything but. Because of people’s ignorance and gullibility marijuana has become illegal for all the wrong reasons and should highly be reconsidered for legalization. For centuries, marijuana has been used by different nationalities of people for religious, recreational, and medical use. Marijuana has been legalized in such European countries as Holland and Belgium. Civil Liberties on the Internet has quoted Great Britain’s Guardian saying, “Italy, Spain and Portugal are reported to be considering similar moves for cannabis" (Europe Goes To Pot) So why is the legalization of marijuana in the Unite... [tags: The United States Should Legalize Marijuana]
2780 words (7.9 pages)
- Legalizing Marijuana Why marijuana. Why legalize marijuana for recreational use. I think the question we should ask ourselves is ?why not?. Are there any benefits. Again, the focus is misplaced. The question should be how do the benefits of decriminalizing marijuana far outweigh the negative aspects. Why was marijuana made illegal in the first place. Marijuana is certainly not illegal due to health concerns, because if that were the case alcohol and tabacco would be illegal as well. The fact is Americans demand the freedom to choose.... [tags: Papers Weed Drugs Legalization Essays]
1115 words (3.2 pages)
- Legalizing Marijuana Legalization of Marijuana has been an issue in the country for around sixty years. Why have we made an issue of it. Why will people not just give up the fight for legalization. After all, marijuana is a drug. It sometimes leads to the use of more dangerous drugs like heroin or cocaine. There are several reasons people fight for this drug, and many devote countless hours to this seemingly hopeless cause. Marijuana is known as a gateway drug because it leads in some cases to more serious drugs.... [tags: Papers]
514 words (1.5 pages)
- Legalizing Marijuana Drugs are a major influential force in our country today. The problem has gotten so out of hand that many options are being considered to control it or even solve it. Ending the drug war seems to be a bit impossible. The war on drugs seems to be accomplishing a lot but this is not true. Different options need to be considered. Legalization is an option that hasn't gotten a chance but should be given one. Although many people feel that legalizing marijuana would increase the amount of use, marijuana should be legalized because it will reduce the great amounts of money spent on enforcement and it will increase our country’s revenue.... [tags: Drugs Weed Legal Argumentative Essays]
795 words (2.3 pages)
According to the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 197 Congrsss provided the following scheme with respest to marihuna, by which was meant only the natural plant and it's various parts, not the syntheic tetrahydrocannabinol (THC):
-"Cultivation, importation and exportation, and sale of distribution for profit of marihuana are all felonie punishable by imprisonment for up to five years for a first offense and by -3 up to 10 years for a second offense (the available penailty is doubled for sale to a minor)."
-"possesion of marihuana with intent to distribute is a felony punishable by imprisonment for up to five years for the first offense and by up to 10 qears for a second offense."
-"possession of marihuana for personal use us a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and $1,000 fine for first offense and by up to two years in jail and a $2,000 fine for second offense (expringement of criminal record is available for first offenders)." I don't know if this is the way the law stands at this time(The Marijuana Muddle).
There are many different names for marijuana some are cannabis satiua, pot, weed, reffer, skuns weed, swag bud ganji weed. Marihuana can smoked in different ways. The most popular way to smoke it is to roll it into a joint or cigarettes form, ither ways include smoking it in a pipe or smoking it out of a water bong. Bands such as the Doors and the Black Crows glorify the use of Marihuana it in there songs are by helping it write there songs. Black groups such as Dr. Dre and Snoop Doggy Dog somg about smoking weed in there songs.
I feel marihuana should be legal for a couple of reasons. I feel that you feel a great since of inner peace when you are high on marihuana. You should be the age of 19 to purchase marihuana cigarettes. I think you should be the age of 19 because you can purchase cigaretts when you are this age. Marlboro and Camel should plant acres of this plant and sell it in retail stores.It should be classified into two catorgies which are swag bud and kind bud, kind bud being the stronger of the two. Swag bud have a filter on it and kind bud shouldn't. They sell clothes with pictures of marihuana leaves on them and I think this is the same thing as making money on the plant itself. It should be the same penalty to be driving when you are stoned as when you are drunk, even though driving while you are stoned is a lot easier to do than when you are driving drunk.
Marihuana has other uses for it besides smoking it. Before the civil war marihuana was the number one cash crop in the United States. Marihuana seeds are used for its drying properties. It is chiefly known as a favorite food for birds. Although eating the seeds have no effect on humans they are suspected to have an effect on birds making them dream of a magical birdland where there are no cages and where the men are gunless and the women are hatless. The hemp stalk is used in the manufacturing
of various finegrade papers.
Althyough most people use marihuana for curiosity or pleasure non-users feel threatened by the drug in terms of public safety, the concern is with aggressive behavior as a result of the use of marihuana. Some even think that the use of the drug leads to becoming mentalyy addicted to the drug. For most people marihuana symbolizes unrest in an already unstable society. Some studies of intoxixcated persons have suggested possible explanaions for the subtle effects on mental process produced by marihuana use.