Lester B. Pearson has made many accomplishments throughout his life. He was the representative from Canada in the United Nations. He was the prime minister of Canada through 1963-1968. During his time of being Prime Minister, and even before, he has impacted Canada quite strongly. He is a very significant man because of the way he established Canadian Identity culturally, socially and through global relationships. He was the man who introduced ways to change Canada in order to improve lives.
Firstly, he constructing the base of canadian culture. One thing he did was that he set the foundation of bringing bilingualism into being. The Royal Commission on Bilingualism and Biculturalism was established by Pearson. This commission was one of the most important things that happened in Canada because if led to many changes and other cultural-changing events such as the Official Language Acts. This was significant to Canadian Identity because it created new Canadian culture. Due to the fact that Canada is not an old country, it does not have much background on history and culture. This commission created a starting place to commence Canada’s culture. He also introduced multiculturalism to Canada. He did that by creating the race free immigration points system. Because of the points system, more immigrants from around the world were able to live in Canada which creates more culture for Canada since it’s combining multiple cultures together; hence how he made Canada multicultural.This is also significant because of the fact that he’s giving Canada a culture which impacts everyone that lives in the country from all the way back then until now. It also impacts Canada’s reputation tremendously since it was one of the first multicultural coun...
... middle of paper ...
"Lester Bowles Pearson - Facts." Lester Bowles Pearson - Facts. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Jan. 2014.
"Lester Bowles Pearson." The Canadian Encyclopedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Jan. 2014.
"The Prime Ministers of Canada - Lester B. Pearson Biography." The Prime Ministers of Canada - Lester B. Pearson Biography. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Jan. 2014.
"Social Movements in Canada." Web log post. Social Movements in Canada. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Jan. 2014.
"Who Was Lester B. Pearson?" Who Was Lester B. Pearson? N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Jan. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... Diefenbaker, the leader of the Conservative party insisted on incorporating the union jack, but the Liberals and NDP disagreed. This is what made Pearson such an important figure to Canadians—he didn’t stop or give up. Lester Pearson kept moving forward because he knew it would be for the better. Canadians were given a chance to show their own designs. Over 5,900 alternative designs were submitted (www.cbc.ca). A man by the name of George Stanley designed one with a leaf in the middle with red bars on either side.... [tags: canadian flag, commission on bilingualism]
953 words (2.7 pages)
- Lester Pearson Lester B. Pearson lived from 1897-1972. He was born on April 23 1897, in Newtonbrooke Ontario (now part of Toronto). He died on December 27 1972. He was born the son of a Methodist parson. As a child he worked very hard in school, and he became one of the minority of high school graduates who went on to college. In his studies he went to Victoria College and the Methodist College inside the University of Toronto. In his free time he played hockey and baseball. He then became a medical doctor in the Royal Flying Corps.... [tags: essays research papers]
1269 words (3.6 pages)
- Gap Analysis: Lester Electronics In the Lester Electronics Scenario, there are several things going on at once. Shang-Wa had already suggested a partnership to Lester Electronics, but this is now becoming more urgent due to a hostile takeover bid by TEC. In fear of losing his company, John Lin, the CEO and founder of Shang-Wa, approaches Bernard Lester, CEO of Lester Electronics with a serious proposal to form and partnership and expand the business in to a neighboring Asian country. Lester Electronics however, has to decide whether a partnership is the best way to go, or if acquiring Shang-Wa outright would be more beneficial.... [tags: Lester Electronics Gap Analysis Case Study]
1262 words (3.6 pages)
- Analysis of Coe's The Winshaw Legacy For a student trustful of today's scientific prowess, the realization that science cannot prove anything came as a surprise to me in high school science class last year. Indeed, a skepticist would say that finding real truth is never possible given the chaotic nature of our world. Such a worldview is among the several interconnected themes in Jonathan Coe's The Winshaw Legacy. Coe uses the paradox as his primary vehicle of argumentation. The paradox is a statement or argument that seems to be prima facie self-contradictory.... [tags: Winshaw Legacy Essays]
1525 words (4.4 pages)
- The Legacy of Imperialism in Southeast Asia Imagine a tropical island paradise isolated from external influence or interference, with limited localized conflicts. Then a fleet of dark ships sail up to the golden beaches and land. These ships are filled with Europeans, who wish to take over this land for its strategic location and the plentiful natural resources that exist on the majestic lands of Southeast Asia. This straightforward scene, often exhausted at global locations, could be the start of a legacy of enormous impact and complication.... [tags: conquest, greed, power, colonialism]
1030 words (2.9 pages)
- The Motivation of Lester in Child of God In the novel, Child of God. Lester Ballard committed heinous crimes against innocent victims. He murdered people in cold-blooded fashion and raped women when they were dead. What makes a human being do this may tell us a lot about criminals and humans themselves. In this paper I will try and analyze some of the core issues that lie at the heart of this story. Why did Ballard do what he did, to what extent is he responsible and what should have been his punishment.... [tags: Child]
1750 words (5 pages)
- The novel Othello by Julious Lester is one of the most interesting love stories I have ever read. Iago the greatest villain of all times plays with the red handkerchief to ruin and sometimes determine love for people. Othello loves his red handkerchief and gives it to Desdemona to have as a symbolism of love for them. Desdemona takes the handkerchief and puts it in her blouse. Othello has a headache when he gets home so Desdemona puts the red handkerchief to his head to make him feel better. Othello pushes away her hand and she drops the handkerchief.... [tags: essays research papers]
482 words (1.4 pages)
- After graduating from high school many graduated seniors face the difficult challenge of applying to a university or community college to attend to in the fall. With applying to college, students compare their likes and dislikes with each school, determine which school environment suits them best, and where can they receive the best possible education for their potential major. Searching for a school to attend is an important part of a student’s life and applying to one should be performed very carefully.... [tags: Education Legacy Admission College Higher]
1310 words (3.7 pages)
- Tommy Pearson Pearson. Churchill. MacDonald. Trudeau. This list is composed of some of the greatest and most respected men to shape the history of Canada and who meld the country we live in into its current state. One notable but equally influential Canadian politician missing from this list is Tommy Douglas. Tommy Douglas’s government lasted from 1944 to 1960. During these sixteen years, he accomplished many great achievements, and brought in many important political changes to improve the health and living conditions of people all over the country.... [tags: Essays Papers]
703 words (2 pages)
- Lester Electronics Incorporated (LEI) a United States (US) capacitor distributor and Shang-wa Electronics, a South Asian capacitor manufacturer have had a contract for over 35 years to manufacture and distribute capacitors both in the US and South Asia. The agreement however is in jeopardy with the recent inquiries of two companies Avral Electronics and Transnational Electronics Corporation (TEC) wanting to possibly acquire LEI and Shang-wa. If this occurs however, LEI stands to lose over 40% of its income because the agreement would be nullified with an acquisition.... [tags: Business Strategy Analysis Management]
1261 words (3.6 pages)