Everyone learn something almost every day of their life, it might be learning in you academic, on the job, an additional training or learning to pursuit a hobby or dream, no matter what your learning is for, it is to acquire more new knowledge. The way we approach acquiring this new knowledge by learning is unique to each person based on the individual learning styles. Learning style is explained as different methods or ways a person expand their knowledge by learning new things or materials.
There are many types of learning styles models that has been writing by different people which explain how learner learns something better and faster. The VARK questionnaire by Neil Fleming is one of the many tools that are being used to determine learning styles. The VARK Questionnaire classifies the learners into four categories: Visual strategies, Aural strategies, Reading/writing strategies and kinesthetic strategies. When people used the VARK questionnaire some people will have one learning style while others will have more than one learning styles which is call the multimodal strategies. The Multimodal is when a person can learn with all the different styles in balance. When a person learn in different forms they are involving many part of their brain which help the learner to remember more of what they have learn.
I have always known that I learn better when it is hands-on approach which is the kinesthetic (tactile) learning strategies. After answering the VARK questionnaire, I found out I score higher on kinesthetic and visual strategies. I found out I preferred to learn by visual aids like pictures and graphs which is referred as Visual strategies. Now I know why I have always love to work with tablet,...
... middle of paper ...
...take a text or teach the material to others. To help me understand what the teacher had thought, I have to create a time to go to the library or labs immediately after the lecture had finished and go through the materials while the information is still fresh in my head.
Knowing that there are different learning styles and every individual learn differently will aid me to know how to apply different techniques when learning or when teaching others. I might not change the way I learn but knowing that everyone has different styles will make me a better learner. With all the technology and learning resources that are available, they will help the student or teacher to convert the teaching or learning materials to their preferred learning styles. It does not matter how you learn a material what that matter is that you understand the material and have learn something.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction The objective of learning is to understand information intended to be learned. According to Brown (2000) learning styles is defined as the manner in which individuals perceive and process information in learning situations" (Journal of Studies in Education, 2012). Depending on one 's perspective, preferred learning styles help defined in multiple ways to get the most out of any learning or teaching experience. There are several ways to evaluate a person’s learning style, preference, and strategies that may be different from one person to the next.... [tags: Learning styles, Learning, Education]
747 words (2.1 pages)
- Learning style is the way we tend to learn best. It involves our preferred methods and combination of various learning models. There are several learning style models. Assessment is the primary step in the process to determining the characteristics of the learner and identifying learning needs. (Edelman 222) Each individual Learning styles are different. In the VARK model the learners learning styles depends on how they wish to accept the knowledge. Neil D Fleming developed VARK model in 1987. The VARK acronym for Visual, Auditory, Reading/writing and Kinaesthetic.... [tags: Learning styles, Education, Kinesthetic learning]
765 words (2.2 pages)
- I have had countless talks with my sons’ teachers when he was younger and even when he attended college on how they teach the class. Not that they were bad teachers but they were set in their ways of teaching and not taking in consideration of how the student learn. Neil Fleming in 1987 developed what we call VARK today (The VARK, 2016). This stands for visual, aural, read/write and kinesthetic on how someone learns (The VARK, 2016). A person has a sense on how they personally learn something through trial and error growing up but it doesn’t mean that only one style is meant to be how they learn.... [tags: Education, Educational psychology, Learning]
803 words (2.3 pages)
- Every human being in this world is unique and each individual has different ways in which they learn. Learning styles have been formulated over the years to help us recognize the way we approach learning and methods we use to gain knowledge. It is an individual's distinctive approach to learning based on strengths, weaknesses, and preference with a mixture of various styles. In this essay, we will take a look at different learning styles and how they can be implemented and integrated in the accounting profession.... [tags: Business Accounting Learning]
1076 words (3.1 pages)
- Learning styles and techniques differ for each person based on their capability to analyze process and memorize information. VARK is a model that provides insight on an individual’s learning styles. The VARK learning style is a theory developed by Neil Flaming in 1987. He designed VARK as a questionnaire so users can identify and make a profile of their own preferences of learning. (VARK, 2015) “It is a learning style guide that helps people to identify and reassess their study habits. According to Fleming, every type of learner has unique academic strengths and weaknesses.... [tags: Learning styles, Kinesthetic learning, Education]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- There is a great debate raging throughout the educational system in America today. At the heart of this battle is the question over whether or not educators should alter their lesson plans to reflect the learning styles of their students. Many of us have heard someone say, “I couldn’t figure out what they were saying, but once they showed me how I was able to do it.” This is an example of someone’s learning style. A learning style is the way a person prefers to process, internalize, and remember new information or concepts.... [tags: Education, teaching]
1570 words (4.5 pages)
- The VARK questionnaire is a useful and efficient tool for many students to use in order to comprehend and ultimately unlock the learning style and strategies that work best with students to achieve success as well as generate potent study habits. After taking the VARK questionnaire, my results were as follows; Visual 12, Aural 9, Read/Write 9 and Kinesthetic 11. Based upon my results I was easily able to conclude that I am a visual learner while also, being an active or more of a hands-on type of learning style.... [tags: Learning, Learning styles, Kinesthetic learning]
963 words (2.8 pages)
- Learning Style and Strategies Science and technology have made learning easier than in the past. People use technology such as YouTube and google to learn. Everyone has their unique style of learning. According to Romanelli et al. (2009) “ the definition of “learning styles” is “characteristic cognitive, effective, and psychosocial behaviors that serve as relatively stable indicators of how learners perceive, interact with, and respond to the learning environment” ( para. 3). Learning style is the way person absorb and understand the material.... [tags: Education, Learning styles, Kinesthetic learning]
740 words (2.1 pages)
- VARK Analysis Paper NRS-429V Family Centered Health Promotion Lorraine Hover Baljinder Wahla June 29, 2014 A learning style is a way that a person adapts to learn a task. Learning styles were not used until the 1970’s. To evaluate a student’s learning style, several models, assessments and exams are used for interpretation. There are two types of students who use more than one learning style. There are some who use the learning style according to the situation. Others adapt different styles to process the information by different means .Though it takes them longer to put together information or prepare the subject, their knowledge become more thorough and they tend to have better understand... [tags: Learning styles, Kinesthetic learning]
990 words (2.8 pages)
- Everyone has a different learning style. Unfortunately, teachers rarely have the luxury of having the time, funds, and resources to satisfy each student’s unique learning pattern. As a result, many students struggle to learn in a classroom environment. Robert E. Slavin, the author of Educational Psychology: Theory and Practice, claims“… [Peer] tutoring is one of the most effective instructional strategies known, and it essentially solves the problem of appropriate levels of instruction (Pearson 208).” Peer tutors have the potential to support and teach fellow students in a way that teachers and other adults cannot.... [tags: Tutoring Strategies]
1534 words (4.4 pages)