Each contestant gets her turn at being on center stage for the evening gown portion. A blessing was sent down upon me when I found out that I would be the last girl to enter the stage before each leg of the pageant. Taking a little extra time with my lipstick my eyes catch my reflection in the cascading mirror. This is it, your interviews went perfectly, and YOU can do this. I scan my face once more to make sure not a speck of makeup was smudged or misplaced. Dark eyeshadow is blanketed over my eyelids, and sharp black eyelashes curl at ease along my blue green eyes. Glamorization has never been my thing, but with one final look in the mirror a smile splayed across my round face. Damn girl you look good.
The night rolled on with ease, and with each phase of the pageant being completed I could feel my confidence booming. Finally after all the candidates we're presented, and thirty agonizing, panic attack invoking, minutes the judge's results were in. Ten pouffy pastel dresses line center stage making ...
... middle of paper ...
...tead I took a breath, slapped a smile on my face and went to be with all the people who had gathered for the event. Being denied the crown wasn't the best feeling in the world, but it made me realize how many true blessings I already had right in front of me. Those blessings were my family and friends. After the pageant I had a slew of support from all of them. Wether it be a hug and a joke the day after the pageant to keep me from tearing up, or a you did a great job. My friends that were outraged by the judges decisions and were not afraid to be vocal about it this,surprisingly helped me too. I was more worried about calming them down that I didn't have time to dwell on the fact that I hadn't succeeded. But the most touching comment came from my dad "I am so proud of you. Do you remember when you were too scared to even be a mass server at church? Now look at you."
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Whoooo. Taking a deep breath, I whisk my nerves aside. This is the moment I have worked so hard for and I had to dive in head first. The curtain whisks open to an auditorium filled with hundreds of silhouettes. Dimly the lights cast a gray mist over the anticipating crowd. As the music begins the lights burst onto the stage. Suddenly ten gorgeous girls with heavy stage makeup and curls swing into action. This is the moment we have all been waiting for after a week of countless activities and interviews.... [tags: failure,]
758 words (2.2 pages)
- ... To fix this matter, I requested the help of a tutor. With my tutor’s help, my grades improved. At first, I was self-conscious about how others see me and thought that I would not succeed at anything with the way was doing at school. But as I worked hard in school, my self-conscious nature decreased and I began to believe in myself academically. Since my early childhood, I would often isolate myself in my room all day. Although I was content with this, my family wanted me to enjoy life. They encouraged me doing sports but I had no interest at the time.... [tags: learning from mistakes, personal reflection]
529 words (1.5 pages)
- Learning How to Learn There are four characteristics to Kolb’s learning style. They are divergers, convergers, accommodators and assimilators. Divergers are people whose strength lies in creative and imaginative ability. They excel in the ability to see concrete situations from many sides and to come up with a lot of ideas. Convergers are the opposite of divergers. Convergers use the practical application of ideas. They do best in a situation where there is one correct answer or solution and they can focus on same.... [tags: Learning Styles]
761 words (2.2 pages)
- In this paper, I will be primarily focusing on the topic effective study strategies to help a student succeed even in disappointment. All fingers are not the same this line is similar to a situation of a student in class. Not all student have the same understanding, background, knowledge, problems etc. and the list goes on and on. Before I make my point clear let me touch base with a real life story that I have experienced while learning. In one of my past semesters, I had taken up few courses but one of the course let me down.... [tags: helping students succeed]
582 words (1.7 pages)
- As a trainer for a Health Trust it is my role to train all members of medical and non-medical employees how to use the clinical system. There has been a change in the clinical database by way of a new innovative system named Lorenzo which resulted in over 1000 employees being retrained on how to access the new clinical system to record their patient activity. The project began by requesting all members of staff to attend mandatory computer training as a requirement of their job specifications. As this was a vast process the training was divided in to clinical training and administrative training.... [tags: teaching, learning]
1685 words (4.8 pages)
- ... I can relate some episodes of Lac Su’s memoir. The person I had become and where I am now is thanks to my father. He was very strict with me and had high expectations for me. I can assume that Lac Su is somehow thankful to his dad as I am because he states at the end of his memoir that “Pa was always working on this bridge, and it was in sight while I was growing up, though it was too far from being finished for me to appreciate. When I finally reached the bridge, it was there for me to cross with ease”(246).... [tags: tiger parents, Asian culture]
942 words (2.7 pages)
- ... From communication failures to cultural barriers outsourcing critical functions like new product development is not without its perils. In Smartsourcing (2006), Thomas Koulopoulos and Tom Roloff argue that outsourcing can only be successful when an organization is clear on its own mission, goals, and competitive advantage (Koulopoulos & Roloff, 2006). The organization must know what it does best so that they can accurately fit outsourcing into its company’s strategic management framework. By being able to choose the appropriate vendor the company will know exactly what it needs from its vendors, and can then think about how to manage in a way that's going to create a return on investmen... [tags: innovations, organization, costs]
687 words (2 pages)
- Personalities, social skills and intellectual development are only some of the key factors that effect how pupils learn and achieve differently to one another. Every child responds individually to their specific needs and environment, and the extent of that achievement can be often be linked with external factors as pupils are naturally influenced by a variety of different constraints. These factors that are not concrete and will change and alter throughout an adolescent’s development, as Piaget (Piaget 1970) believed the mind changes and works in different ways at different stages so do the conditions that enhance and limit progress.... [tags: Education Teaching]
3085 words (8.8 pages)
- In those days there was no king in Israel. Everyone did what was right in his own eyes. Judges 21:25 (ESV) I doubt any verse gives a more accurate of its respective book than Judges 21:25. This verse, the final verse of Judges, is the culmination of nearly 400 years of disobedience, strife, war, repentance, and temporary peace through God-appointed leaders. Inside of twenty words, this small excerpt manages to capture both the heart and soul of the Israelites after their conquest of the Promised Land.... [tags: human, failures, rebellious, worshi]
642 words (1.8 pages)
- Computer Implementation in Learning Environments Abstract This paper seeks to analyze the current research and reports on computer implementation in learning environments. The three articles discussed come from Annual Editions—Computers in Education 04/05, 11th edition, edited by J. Hirschbuhl and D. Bishop (2004). For analysis are the proposals of investing in e-learning in higher education, more effective use of computers through initiation, implementation, and institutionalization, and improving student/computer interaction through the use of computer tutor programs.... [tags: Technology Technological Essays]
1454 words (4.2 pages)