I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post about leadership theories. You made some very valid points. I can relate to this as I have worked with several different leadership styles over the course of my employment as a claims adjuster. Just within the last two weeks my team underwent a change in leadership. I would describe my new manager as employee-oriented, that is, one who focuses on building relationships with their subordinates and takes interest in their personal interests and differences (Robbins & Judge). Just within his two weeks of being my team’s manager he has reached out to us to schedule individual meetings to get to know us on a personal level and find out what he can do to help us reach our development goals. In addition to this, he also held a meeting to address the claim volume struggles my team has recently dealt with due to Hurricane Matthew. In the beginning of the meeting he explained that he values the opinions and feedback that his associates can give as he feels that we are the ones with the best ideas. He feels this way because we are the ones who work claims on a daily basis. His ultimate goal in holding the meeting was to get ideas to take back to his leaders on ways to make the claims handling process more efficient and less stressful for both the employee and the customer. He also feels that taking care of his employees’ needs will in tern take care of the customer’s needs.
In contrast, prior to new leadership, I had a production-oriented leader. This type of leader can be defined as one who, “emphasize[s] the technical or task aspects of the job; their main conc...
... middle of paper ...
... public relations. Retrieved November 2, 2016, from Research Library,
Bible gateway passage: Romans 13: 1-7 - new international version. (2011). Retrieved
November 2, 2016, from https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%2013:1-7
Fischer, K (2016, November 1). Presentation: lesson 6 – Leadership [Powerpoint Slides].
Robbins, S. P., & Judge, T. (2009). Organizational behavior. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Leadership Theories This paper will address the three theories that are chosen applicable to Educational Leadership. The theories comprise, path-goal theory, situational theory and contingency theory. These theories will be compared and contrasted relevant to Educational Leadership. Additionally, this paper will explain how a particular theory adds or may add to the understanding of Educational Leadership. According to Barnard, theories relevant to educational leadership effect the actions of subordinates and encourage them to follow a specific program of action (Barnard, 1938).... [tags: Leadership, Situational leadership theory]
1050 words (3 pages)
- 1.0 Introduction Contemporary leadership theories has been expanded in the past twenty five years and have apprehend the awareness of leadership practitioners and researchers alike. According to Levy (2006), LMX theory is about work teams that concentrates on the relationships between leaders and subordinates preferably than on leader behaviors or traits. The LMX theory concentrates on a dyads, that is the relationship among each subordinate and leader that is reflected independently, rather than on the correlation among the group and the superior.... [tags: Leadership, Management]
1368 words (3.9 pages)
- Leadership is the ability to persuade and guide others for building and attaining the common goal (Gregoire & Arendt, 2014). Proper direction and control over the activities are basic necessity to achieve the target. Walshe, Kieran & Smith (2011) suggested that there are many intricate strands has involved in health which makes the leadership endeavour complex. Healthcare organizations are struggling with financial problems, consumer demands, safety & quality of healthcare etc. Al- Sawai (2013) suggested that while designing a management structure.... [tags: Leadership, Management]
730 words (2.1 pages)
- I have chosen for this paper the following three leadership theories: The Great Man Theory, the Trait Theory and Participative Leadership. Great Man Theory What moves an individual to raise as a great leader. What do people do fight against all odds and reach goals for themselves or other people. Some scholars have agreed that those questions can be responded by the Great Man Theory. Basically, it tells that great leaders are born, not molded. They have special characteristics in their behavior that cannot be found in other people, as much as they are capable of change the course of history.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Kurt Lewin, Skill]
1138 words (3.3 pages)
- Every leader and follower is unique and works in a different way, depending on the situation. Leadership is a relationship built between leaders and followers, which require some sort of guidance for leaders. There are various leadership theories which have advanced over many different styles to define the leadership characteristics, traits & styles. Three main theories Lead-Member Exchange theory (LMX Theory), Transactional Leadership theory and Transformational theory allow the leaders to develop their own style utilizing one or more of these theories in order to properly develop relationships between leaders and followers.... [tags: Leadership, Management]
702 words (2 pages)
- Columbia Southern University Motivational Theories Throughout life, there are and have been leaders who have helped change and shape others view of the world by their charisma, strength, morals, and kindness. These particular people can help to create a vision along with intellectually stimulating people to broaden their horizons and to be successful in business and personal accomplishments. At one point of time, there was someone who I considered a leader, who motivated me by applying what is known as the Transformational Leadership Theory.... [tags: Motivation, Victor Vroom, Expectancy theory]
1112 words (3.2 pages)
- 1. Compare and contrast three leadership theories from chapter 1 (READ TEXT CAREFULLY). Which of the three would you choose to follow and why. Multiple leadership theories exist; motivational theory, situational theory and moral leadership theory are just a few found in the textbook. Motivational theory states that of the experiments conducted, attention given to workers shows increased productivity. Therefore giving nurses attention and appreciation will motivate them to work harder. Situational theory focuses on adaptation to a certain situation.... [tags: Leadership, Nursing, Educational psychology]
797 words (2.3 pages)
- ... This view implies that we can learn from how to become effective leaders by studying these men and emulating those characteristics that seem to account for their successful leadership. Very often, when people lament the critical shortage of leadership in American society, they are referring to the great man type of leader. What often is overlooked is that the demands on today’s leaders have become incredibly complex broad in scope. Contemporary society is less responsive to the appeal of great man leaders and is less willing to play a docile follower role, a role that is essential to the great man leader.... [tags: de Gaulle, Hitler, Jesus Christ, Lincoln]
752 words (2.1 pages)
- Lussier and Achua (2004) define the leadership styles as a combination of traits, skills, and behaviours leaders use as they interact with employees. In order for one to understand and decide on a certain leadership styles, one must know the characteristics of the favourable leadership style. Over the years researchers have been debating on the topic of leadership, as conducting different studies the styles have different output. Nevertheless, the research done on this topic is indicating that specific characteristics or traits are inherent in leaders and as cited in Murphy (2005) is can’t be develop thought educations or personal skills.... [tags: styles, autocratic leaders]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- Taking a group of team from ordinary to extraordinary is an understanding and assumption the difference between leadership and management. Even though, there are enough professional leadership theories, each of them has its own importance, especially those are helping to find out the dimensions that develop great decision makers. Some leadership theories are focusing on personality behaviors and traits, at the same time others concentrate on broader perspectives to know how leaders relate to their followers.... [tags: Leadership, Situational leadership theory]
847 words (2.4 pages)