Nursing leadership styles are usually divided into two categories: transformational and transactional. Transactional leaders function by carrying things out in a specific way, they focus on the day-to-day operations. This type of leadership can thwart innovation and creativity in professional nursing. Transformational leaders enhance morale and performance, they drive for change in heathcare organizations. Furthermore, they lead by example and inspire other nurses to reach for higher standards in their practice. Based on my survey results I achieved my highest score in participative/democratic style, which falls under the category of transformational leadership.
Democratic/participative leaders rely on employees’ input and participation to build a general agreement. With this type of leadership style employees feel their opinions are heard, it builds morale. Polices are based on group discussions and decisions, the leader acts to facilitate and encourage discussions and decisions, responsibilities are shared with the followers due to their involvement, and the focus is on teamwork (Huber, 2014). My second highest score on the survey was delegative/free...
... middle of paper ...
...ships. As a democratic leader I would practice an open door policy, making myself readily available to my subordinates for service and advice. To ensure that nurses remained actively involved in decisions making policies I would support an ongoing shared governance program, as well as support the development of skills to manage meetings, explore alternatives, and make effective decisions.
In conclusion, hospitals that have achieved Magnet status support the democratic/participative leadership style. Research has shown that this style of management is instrumental in developing a professional environment. Nurses are encouraged to contribute their knowledge and expertise to enhance nursing practice and improve patient care. Furthermore, it allows nursing to take ownership for their clinical practice, which results in a healthy work environment and job satisfaction.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Leadership Marquis describes a leader as the motivation and the leading of the performance. Leader’s uniqueness and abilities are what make others to need to take after his or her way (2009 p.32). First, a leader must understand the self and others as the beginning in leading. As Kouzes and Posner stated “self-discovery and self-awareness are critical to developing the capacity to lead. And personal reflection and analysis of one’s own leadership behaviors are core components in that process” (2011, p.... [tags: Leadership, Personality psychology, Management]
1039 words (3 pages)
- the author also comments that this style of leadership is best left to organisations whose staff are technically proficient, have been trained accordingly, work while unsupervised, and have sound work ethics. When examined from a nursing perspective, Jackson, Hutchinson, Peters, Luck, and Saltman (2013) looked upon laissez-faire as an evasive form of leadership, one that harbours underlying issues of ignorance and incompetency. The author’s research found that laissez-faire, while seeking to offer staff independence, could in reality promote a sense of distrust towards the very people offering the independence.... [tags: Nursing, Nurse, Leadership, Positive psychology]
1600 words (4.6 pages)
- HISTORICAL DEVELOPMENT OF NURSING LEADERSHIP IN HEALTHCARE NEWZEALAND The changes in contracting arrangements, funding, and policies in New Zealand, new organizations are evolving to provide improved primary health care (www.newzealandhealthcare.co.nz, n.d.). Nurses are increasingly becoming involved in decision-making to enhance their contributions and thereby promoting positive outcomes for the patients.... [tags: Leadership, Nursing, Management, Health]
2339 words (6.7 pages)
- My style of leadership according to the quiz by Cherry (n.d.) is participative leadership which is a type of leadership that engages the members of the team to participate in decision making and problem solving while the leader makes the final judgment in the deliberation process. This style of leadership allows members who are experts in their fields provide input to reach a more effective and accurate decision. This fits exactly into my leadership style. I always believed that in every aspect there is a greater or lesser person than you are, so, why not focus on the best in others and tap on their expertise in knowledge or skill to get the best results.... [tags: Leadership, Nursing, Skill]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- Nursing Interview Paper The purpose of this assignment is for the student to gain insight into nursing leadership roles by interviewing a local nursing leader. Using a structured and organized interview process, the student will be able to describe the leadership style and leadership skills of the nursing leader as well as reflection of personal leadership traits. The nursing leader chosen for this assignment is Jennifer Pierson, RN. I chose her because she is not only my step-mother, but has had a huge impact on my future career as a nurse.... [tags: Nursing, Leadership, Health care, Nurse]
864 words (2.5 pages)
- During the interview, I was able to define the nurse leader’s qualities and leadership style. The leader possesses a vast amount of knowledge and skill base that she has attained through an assortment of evidence-based research findings and career competencies in becoming an effective leader. Initially, the nurse leader’s leadership style was centered on that of the transactional leader, which she identified in using the SWOT analysis Marquis and Huston (2012) noted that the old-style manager is more concerned with the “day-to-day” operations that the leader began learning in her early manager roles that were identified in the interview with the leader.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Skill]
701 words (2 pages)
- Leadership There are four different leadership styles I will explore in this paper. Leadership style is the driver in the success or failure of any project or work environment. The leadership style used by management directly influences team members ' performance and their ability to carry out instructions, as well as motivates the team to reach collective goals of the organization (Cunningham, Salomone, & Wielgus, 2015). I will also explore my experience as a manager and describe what type of leadership style I used.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Decision making]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- urvey Results By taking the leadership survey, I was able to understand my leadership style. It revealed a high score in the delegative area, but there was only a four point difference with the next style called participative. The delegative style of leadership, basically is a hands off approach to leadership, letting others complete tasks without hovering over every detail. Whereas the participative style allows leadership to include the staff in decisions, and majority votes are the way to go (“Leadership Styles,” n.d.).... [tags: Leadership, Management, Skill]
1655 words (4.7 pages)
- Nursing consists of many management and leadership opportunities. However, not every nurse is suitable for a position in which they lead or manage others. There are various styles of leadership, some of which are effective. An institution’s leadership has an impact on the quality of care provided to patients, as well as the attitude and values of the staff. In fact, “effective leadership among nurse managers has been associated with staff nurse job satisfaction and retention” (Azaare & Gross, 2011).... [tags: Management, Healthcare]
1206 words (3.4 pages)
- I selected the acting manager of my unit, a clinical coordinator and the academic affiliation coordinator. These three nursing leaders have a good reputation as nurse leaders among the staff. They are efficient and strive for the attainment of our organizational goal of serving all the American veterans with honor (United States Department of Veterans Affairs, 2016). Preferred Leadership Style and Achievement of Success The acting manager of my unit, Margie Ortiz likes the servant leadership style.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Servant leadership]
1146 words (3.3 pages)