Leadership is such a big part of our world today, because it shapes us into the
person we are. Everyone has that person that they can go to for any advice or problems
they need help with. Leadership can be defined in many different ways in today’s society.
I believe that John Kotter defines leadership the best, he claims, “Leadership defines
what the future should look like, aligns people with that vision, and inspires them to
make it happen despite the obstacles.” I believe that definition is great, but it does not talk
about how a leader should have good character. Having good character is an important
because he or she should want the people who they are leading to trust them and
their decisions.(It seems as if you are focusing on trust without saying it) To improve
myself as leader I should decide my goals I want to achieve, figure out my own
characteristics, and decide on the styles of leadership I will use.
For one goal while I am here at Troy I would like to get more involved in Greek
life. Greek life is such a big asset here at Troy. I would like to have an executive position
in my fraternity; in turn, I could help make it better on campus. I would like to get the
fraternity more involved with campus activities and have more presence during rush
week. Another way I would like to use my leadership skills here at Troy is through the
Risk Management and Insurance department, which is my major here at Troy. This
department is growing at a very high rate and already has some great leaders within the
program now. Once I get into my higher years here at Troy I will be able to join the RMI
society and plan trips to different conventions as well as plan events on here on campus.
... middle of paper ...
...ything goes smoothly. I believe that selling is a great style of leadership I
would also want to use as a leader. In a selling style, leaders spend more time listening
and giving advice to different people which will encourage the follower to strive further.
These styles are more for a quiet type of leader which I believe goes well with my
Being a leader in today’s society is a very important role. Leaders are needed in
just about every day whether it is in a classroom, at church, in the community, and more
importantly for our country. I hope to strive in everything I do to become a better leader
and I know I have a lot to work. I believe that if I, decide the goals I would like to
achieve, figure out the characteristics I have, and use my leadership styles to the best I
can, than I could become a great leader down the road someday.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Part 1) Introduction: In today's more rapidly changing world, leadership prevails everywhere. It is playing a more important role not only in our personal life but also in our professional life, because leadership has a great impact and influence on people. So, utilizing leadership adequately can bring us a piece of attractive picture. To use humanizing actions is a critical leadership skill, which will be discussed in the following paragraphs, to motivate and inspire energy of team members to achieve the set goal.... [tags: Management Leader]
2063 words (5.9 pages)
- There are all different types of organizations in the world today with all different types of leadership and organizational styles. Some a large and some are small and every one of them is managed a variety of ways. Most organizations have some sort of structure to them. Without this structure or organizational style, they would fail. Lately, there has been a number of different styles appear within teams. From manger-led teams that are very structured to self-governing teams that are wide open.... [tags: Management, Team, Decision making, Leadership]
1411 words (4 pages)
- Leadership Class Summary Leadership is broad topics and it is not an easy goal to achieve. Leadership includes influence, respect, culture understanding, moral and etc. in the first day of leadership class the professor asked what is leadership. Why do we need to follow leaders. We heard different opinion about leadership concept but the best definition of leadership will be. An influence relationship among leaders and followers who intend real changes and outcomes that reflect their shared purpose.... [tags: Leadership, Skill, Servant leadership, Management]
1886 words (5.4 pages)
- Management and Leadership go directly with each other and they also have their own set of skills in which certain people specialize. Management uses skills such as: making plans and setting the budget, organizing the staff, having control over things, and problem solving. Next, the leaders set direction, align people, motivate them, and inspire them to do the best they can. There are differences in these roles and they each have their own set of skills that will lead to success. Learning these skills will help me succeed in the world.... [tags: Management, Leadership, ManaGeR, Skill]
1287 words (3.7 pages)
- Leadership is a broad term with a powerful and diverse meaning. Found in every profession, school setting, and workplace, proves its vital and valued role. Working in the future as a health care professional evokes a strong sense of understanding to provide effective leadership. Interdisciplinary health teams more than ever compromise a large sector of health care, requiring the upmost standards of quality in leadership to assume these positions of power. From this course I set for myself a great responsibility to learn, grow, and build upon my skills in becoming an appreciated, and essential part when in the role or position of a leader.... [tags: Leadership, Skill, Management, Psychology]
1211 words (3.5 pages)
- Leadership in Change Management Centuries ago, a famous Greek philosopher, Heraclitus disputed conventional wisdom that things will always stay the same. He used the flow of the river as a metaphor to describe the changes that was going on. He challenged the Greek leadership to acknowledge these changes or risk their global dominance. Two thousand years later, modern civilization is facing the same challenges as their predecessors. A rapid improvement in technology compounded with an increase in competition due to globalization has led to the emergence of change in most major industries around the world.... [tags: Leadership]
1920 words (5.5 pages)
- Leadership is something that is heavily prevalent in the workforce and in the world today. Being a leader, in my opinion, takes someone (or a group of people) who is willing and able to lead a few or many people. Not every leader though is successful or leads in a positive way. There definitely exists both good and bad leadership. Many leaders fail while many achieve extraordinary milestones. But everyone, not just leaders, have their pitfalls and rough patches in life. I know that I myself have some weaknesses as a leader, and that is what I want to take some time to reflect on.... [tags: Management, Problem solving, Leadership, Better]
744 words (2.1 pages)
- Many theories have been introduced to shape the leadership approach. As in today’s world, it is important for one to have the most resourceful skill when it comes to leadership. It is being fulfilled by incorporating proper leadership approach. To fulfill the social needs path-goal is useful for a leader than any other theories to be successful. This theory is based on emphasizing a leader 's technique or actions that fit the employee and work atmosphere in order to achieve a goal within an organization.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Path-goal theory]
922 words (2.6 pages)
- Competent Leadership vs. Toxic Leadership Many individuals in our military today have this notion that just because they earned their “stripes” that they automatically deserve respect, and that their subordinates should and will listen to them strictly because of what is on their chest. A true leader not only leads, develops, and mentors, but they embody and apply those leader competencies in their everyday life both on and off duty. Being a leader doesn’t mean you always have to be the mean guy.... [tags: United States Army, Leadership, Skill, Military]
1206 words (3.4 pages)
- Leadership There are at least two things you can say about leadership without sounding stupid or exaggerating, 1) Leaders are important, and secondly 2) There is always a leadership crisis of one kind or another, at any given time; e.g. shortage or incompetence, evil, crooked, inadequate, you name it. As simplistic as these statements may sound, they are paramount to any study or discussion of leadership and its effectiveness. In this paper, I would like to elaborate upon some qualities of a good leader, the relationship between leaders and the followers, the difference between a leader and a manager, between leadership and authority, and finally touch upon the possible evils and misuse of... [tags: Leader Leadership]
1229 words (3.5 pages)