Leadership is the ability to lead or guide others. Leadership develop is an action that increases the eminence of leadership in a company or individual. One being taught how to be a leader develops leadership. According to Grossman and Valiga (2013), “emergence as a leader is a developmental learning process in which capacities, insights and skill gained through one experience or at one level serve as the basis for further growth; thus, leaders go through stages in their developments.”(p178) This type of leadership development is important in the producing of qualified leaders. Leadership development is important for nursing today because the individual has an opportunity to learn the correct way of leading. The nurse has to learn the role of a leader and how to deal with conflict and change. Since nursing is a continuously changing field, the nurse leader must be attune to and have the desire to learn. Leadership development helps the nurse to learn to be a change agent. According to Davies (2013), “ strong leadership in nursing is recommended and highlights that all those who proved patient care need to work together effectively in a culture in with patients are seen as the priority.”(p 22) This makes for good quality care for the good of the patient population. A good leader will ensure that their employees seek first to maintain safe care and compassion for those they care for. This is why there needs to be good nursing leadership development.
The theoretical leadership theories as they relate to leadership development are the great man theory, trait theory, situational theory, and contemporary theories. The great man theory iterates, according to Grossman and Valiga (2013), “ that a leader is bo...
... middle of paper ...
...t be made to feel important and that they are important also. One must maintain good communication with their colleagues and must develop trust and respect among them. One has to be true to self. He or she must know that they are not perfect and are capable of making mistakes. He or she must be willing to forgive self and others. This is very important to being a good leader.
Leadership is not an easy job. There are many advantages and disadvantages to being a leader. A good leader is one who accepts direction and that people will be who there are without being changed. There are some great leaders and there are some bad leaders. Leaders are not born they are made. To be a good leader one must be open to change. Good communication is an essential key. Everyone has the opportunity to be the best leader they can be, they just have to be willing to learn.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction Leadership matters because it plays a critical role in many situations. But what is leadership. How can one be an effective leader. Although there can be discrepancies on what leadership is or what makes a good leader, one thing is for sure, leadership and leadership development has changed during the last few decades and it will likely change again in the future. Through this venture we will analyze the past, present, and future of leadership development as well as how the view of what it takes to be a good leader has changed and is changing.... [tags: Motivation, Leadership, Management, Skill]
1795 words (5.1 pages)
- Why Buy Now Perhaps a better question to ask would be something along the lines of why do businesses that fail do so. The short answer it because of two major problems: 1). Failure to plan (which could be a variety of things) 2). A faulty plan (which once again could be a variety of reasons) Times are indeed difficult and many businesses are stressed to their maximum when it comes to budget restraints. Resources are being stretched and personnel are asked to do more with less. However, this is the very reason why leadership development & leadership training is so vitally important.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Leader]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- 1. Do you possess the following leadership qualities that people want in a leader. • Integrity (honesty, trustworthiness, professionalism) o Yes, I believe I possess these qualities and continue to work on them throughout my career. I am honest almost to a fault, sometimes I need to remind myself to hold back because not everything needs to be said people are after all human. My professionalism outside of a leadership role might seem discourteous. Simply because I give my input and opinions even when it is not directly asked of me.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Leadership development]
1623 words (4.6 pages)
- (i) an analysis of the interviewee’s leadership style, leader vs. manager, and which model(s) may be useful to explain it The leader whom I had a privilege to interview works for a reputed financial company and also volunteers in the NYC assembly man office. His leadership style is characterized by inspiring and leading people, creating values and long-range perspectives, developing new ideas and focusing on society. Even though it is hard for him to separate his managerial responsibilities during his work in the financial company, his goals were always oriented towards people and improving his community wellbeing.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Leadership development]
916 words (2.6 pages)
- Many organizations set annual performance goals to achieve strategic outcomes. The potential strategic impact is large when these annual performance goals are developed and managed by employees throughout an organization. However, if no concentrated focus exists, goal setting can simply become an uncoordinated exercise, failing in its intended outcome. This holds true for all employees, but particularly senior leaders. A major responsibility of senior leadership is to provide focus and direction to an organization.... [tags: Leadership ]
1780 words (5.1 pages)
- Personal plan In the creation of a leadership development program for a firm, it must have genuine vision and clear, achievable goals that align with a business strategy (Donnelly, 2010). To be an effective global leader, there are some goals of development which will ensure that the global leadership concerns for the future are handled as required. The goals include developing new business models to aid in coping with expansion that may arises from globalization, powering growth which results from globalization through increasing productivity, and coming up with new ideas to handle the increased growth in the economy.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Strategic management]
1078 words (3.1 pages)
- Developing Transformational Leaders in Nursing Introduction In order to develop strong leaders throughout the nursing industry, one must encompass various traits from all types of leadership theories. Of these theories, transformational leadership stands out the most in the sense that it helps create a strong and successful leader. Strengths Finder 2.0 encourages individuals to focus on developing themselves through strengths instead of trying to fix their weaknesses. In doing so individuals are able to develop natural talents in a way that creates a higher achieving workplace.... [tags: Leadership, Management]
1261 words (3.6 pages)
- This purpose of this research study is to develop a leadership development plan (LDP). There are three sections in the development of LDP. The first section is called “Effective Leadership Overview/Summary.” This begins with an overview of an effective leadership which includes theories and relationship and network building. Communication is also essential in leadership and active listening is a technique that will be addressed. Leaders need followers to be leaders they must have the skills in leading; some of these skills to be covered are career planning, honesty, and have integrity.... [tags: Leadership, Communication, Leadership development]
1130 words (3.2 pages)
- The King is dead and Lord Tywin is asking Tommen, his grandson (the new King) what he thinks what makes a good King. Tommen lists off attributes such as; holiness, just, and strength. Lord Tywin, agrees that these are all good qualities to have. However, he says holiness is a naïve characteristic to have as a King [leader]. Tywin, explains that being a just King [leader] can leave you in a vulnerable place if you are not careful. Furthermore, having strength as a King [leader] is a very powerful characteristic to have when you have some many others looking towards to lead.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Leadership development]
2019 words (5.8 pages)
- Considering the fast-paced global economy, and the dynamics of the modern day church, effective leadership practices are essential to the healthy growth of an organization (Blanchard, 2013). In addition, effective leadership practices are also conducive to creating passion amongst employees and customer devotion; thus, there is a direct parallel between the quality of an organization’s leadership, and whether or not an employee or customer remains loyal to an organization (Blanchard, 2013, para.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Leadership development]
1179 words (3.4 pages)
- Robert Frost 's ' The Road Not Taken ' And ' Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening
- Women During The Civil War
- A Brief Note On The Victim 's Rights
- Traditional Chinese Medicine For Benefit Health
- The Presidents Of Lyndon B. Johnson, Ronald Reagan, And Bill Clinton
- Analysis Of The Article ' Hidden Intellectualism ' And Small Change : Why The Revolution Will Not Be Tweeted