When comparing my Big Five Personality scores to the class average, I received a score of 6 and the average was 5.7, one score did not come to a surprise. My personality is reliant on my strength of conscientiousness. Individuals who score high in conscientiousness tend to be methodical, well-organized, achievement orientated, and ethically guided. The conscientious personality type has a strong correlation to leader emergence which I can attest is true. I often am the first individual in the group to take reigns because of my organization, self-discipline, and need to create a plan before acting.
Two strengths appeared when reviewing the emotional intelligence (EQ) assessment. The first, is my high self-awareness. This is a great asset of mine because I am able to recognize when I need to separate myself from the group in order to rejuvenate myself. Spending a significant about of time around one group of individuals or focusing on one task, often drains my energy. Therefore, my high self-awareness assists me in recognizing when it is necessary for me, as the leader, to declare a 10-minute break. Not only does the break help me refocus, but it helps the team in general by allowing everyone to decompress for a while. The other component of EQ where I received a high ranking is use of emotion. This can be both a weakness and a strength. It is a strength because it makes me relatable and humanizes me, similar to what was mentioned in the class article “Why Should Anyone Be Led by You?” by Goffee and Jones. Thankfully, my high self-awareness helps me to recognize when my emotions could be a sign of weakness, and more often than not, I am able to remove myself from a potentially difficult situat...
... middle of paper ...
...would have originally thought prior to the exam. This will be skill I work on in order to align with my leadership vision of helping people and communities flourish into their and its greatest potential.
Reflection: New Insight Gained
I also learned that my strongest leadership style is supporting. When I first took the exam, I thought the method I would resonate the most with would be coaching. After all, I spent most of my childhood through high school years in a basketball gym being coached by my father. However, the exam is correct. I do enjoy the supporting leadership role where the leader takes on a mentorship position in listening, praising and seeking input of the team of collaborators. This method of leadership aligns with my strengths, values, and desire to have everyone on the team voice their opinion and feel like they are a true, meaningful contributor.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Personal Assessment of Strengths The Personal Assessment of Strengths assignment will assist me in better understanding the assessment results. I will speak to my reaction to the results. I will also discuss how my strengths relate to my leadership style. 1. Describe your initial reaction to finding out your top five strengths. My top five strengths were as I expected them to be. According to the assessment I’m a Relator, Focused, Analytical, strong in belief and discipline. The qualities are extremely evident in my daily life.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Thought, 1995 singles]
802 words (2.3 pages)
- Leadership can be defined as the act of inspiring others towards doing right things, with such a direction being essential in creating a shared vision, which can be actualized in the future (Kaiser, McGinnis & Overfield, 2012). In this case, leadership points out the path in which an organization should take to succeed in an effective and smooth way. In the 21st century, organizational leadership has undergone a great number of changes due to intense competition in the market place, with visionary leaders being able to maintain a steady performance in all areas of operations.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Leader]
1343 words (3.8 pages)
- Leadership Style Analysis While all leaders have a predominant or at least a preferred style leadership style, great leaders will utilize a variety of leadership styles depending on the circumstances as well as the people being led. In this paper I will analyze my own preferred leadership style and discuss how it is utilized most effectively. The Participative Leadership Style In order to begin my leadership analysis I took the test “How to find out your style of leadership” at the University of Kent UK’s website (careers and employability service, 2011) this was a 50 question test to provide the user what their leadersip style most resembles.... [tags: Leadership, Skill, Management, Leader]
998 words (2.9 pages)
- Organizational Leadership Module 3 Leadership Practice Inventory Leadership Practice Inventory (LPI) is an assessment on leadership behaviors and activities. During the analysis, it covers five behaviors; challenging the process, inspiring a shared vision, enabling others to act, modeling the way, encouraging the heart. I first conducted the LPI assessment on myself, to analyze my own leadership strength and weakness. If on the LPI behavior I scored high then I am doing well, if I scored low then I need more practice.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Grammatical person]
705 words (2 pages)
- I am an ISTJ with unique personality strengths and weaknesses. My strengthens are being hardworking, productive, efficient, and driven (Kroeger, Thuesen, & Rutledge, 2002, p. 306). In opposition, being compulsive, inexpressive, and driven by routines are my weaknesses (Kroeger et al, 2002, pp. 308-309). The Prentice Hall Self-Assessment increased awareness of more personality strengths and weaknesses for my consideration. As a type A personality I am always on the go, seeking efficiencies in nearly every task, if not attempting to do multiple tasks at once (Robbins & Judge, 2009, p.... [tags: Personality psychology, Personality]
1185 words (3.4 pages)
- Jeanette Hernandez Leadership 1010 Professor Moskwa April 4, 2016 Participative leadership As we may all know by now leadership style plays a key role in the productivity and overall effectiveness of an organization. There are several different types of leadership styles and often times some leader’s poses more than just one style of leadership. Although there isn’t a leadership style known to be better than the other it is important for you to determine what style of leader you are in order to use you qualities to the best of your abilities and succeeded as a leader.... [tags: Leadership, Decision making, Path-goal theory]
1595 words (4.6 pages)
- Leaders of education have a colossal volume of responsibility to so many people. Their leadership affects the students, staff, guardians, parents, community, and school supervisors. In order to be effective leader in today’s schools, it’s key for one to define what they believe leadership is order to understand and develop their own leadership style. The pass couple of weeks I have made some eye opening discoveries and resolutions made through various assessment tools, interviews, and scholarly readings.... [tags: Leadership, Situational leadership theory]
1500 words (4.3 pages)
- This purpose of this research study is to develop a leadership development plan (LDP). There are three sections in the development of LDP. The first section is called “Effective Leadership Overview/Summary.” This begins with an overview of an effective leadership which includes theories and relationship and network building. Communication is also essential in leadership and active listening is a technique that will be addressed. Leaders need followers to be leaders they must have the skills in leading; some of these skills to be covered are career planning, honesty, and have integrity.... [tags: Leadership, Communication, Leadership development]
1130 words (3.2 pages)
- Baystate Health (BH) wants to ensure that it is ready for a capital campaign. The following assessment reviews key aspects needed for a successful campaign. As part of the planning process internal infrastructure, donor base, staffing, volunteer leadership, public image, the strength of case for support have been reviewed. To ensure that the infrastructure of BH is strong enough to withstand the rigor of a capital campaign the organizations performed a development audit. To help gain perspective on BH’s ability to plan a successful campaign and to perform the developmental audit a consultant will be needed.... [tags: Board of directors, Management]
1130 words (3.2 pages)
- Identifying and understanding your own personal strengths is key to being a successful leader. Knowing your strengths means you can focus your efforts to maximize results, in yourself and in others. Strengths Finder 2.0 is designed to uncover your strengths and utilize these strengths to your advantage (Rath, 2007). Identifying and applying these strengths to your leadership style, will enhance your effectiveness as a transformational leader. Strengths Finder 2.0 uses an online assessment to evaluate the individuals unique talents by having the taker rate how they view a particular question in 20 seconds or less (Rath, 2007).... [tags: leadership, transformational leader, effectiveness]
2481 words (7.1 pages)
- Class Size Reduction : Is It A Good Idea?
- Understanding The Educator And Learners Role
- A Major Earthquake Centered 130 Km Northeast Of Japan 's Honshu Island
- Weaknesses Of The Educational System
- Feminism And Women 's Rights On The Grounds Of Political, Social, And Economic Equality
- Naturalistic Observation Of A Observation