It is hard to be a person of leadership. Everything that is done whether it is right or wrong it falls back on that person. It takes much dedication to be a good leader. Leadership plays a huge role when one is the president of the United States. One could just imagine all the stress and tension one would be put through as president. Just think of all those hard decisions that must be made for the better of the country. One will definitely need to possess leadership skills in order to be a great president. “Leadership is a process that involves influence and occurs within a group, which involves goal attainments” (Jones et al., 2006). In order to have such good leadership one must be prepared by knowing which direction one is going.
One specific person that might stick out when talking about leadership might be Abraham Lincoln. This would be because this man took office as president of the United States November 6, 1860, when the United States was struggling through some difficult times. He was the 16th president of the United States. It takes a man with great perspective for the country to do something like that. It is obvious that Abraham Lincoln knew what he wanted and knew just how to get it.
Abraham Lincoln was a popular man because he was a leader who pursued ideas and agendas of social change at great risk to himself. He was the first and only president to have a patent. His patent was a device that freed steamboats that ran aground. He was just as famous for his “almost superhuman achievement in holding the Union together, emancipating the slaves, and ultimately leading the North to victory” (Field, para. 1, 2011). This all happened during the Civil War. He emancipated them by signing the Emancipation P...
... middle of paper ...
...is in, before it is too far gone and is split up. Abraham and some of our other past president worked too hard for the nation to split. Let’s just hope this never happens. It is much better for us to all be together as one verse opposing each other in hatred. This is not what Abe would have wanted.
It is hard to be a person of leadership. Everything that is done whether it is right or it is wrong it falls back on that person. It takes much dedication to be a good leader. Leadership plays a huge role when one is the president of the United States. The United States 16th president had the great responsibility and he played the role well. He was one of the greatest leaders ever in this country. He is worldly famous for freeing the slaves with the Emancipation Proclamation and as Honest Abe for being so blunt. This nation could use more presidents like Abraham Lincoln.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... LaTisha’s principal leadership style is transformational and servant leadership. LaTisha is interested in her followers becoming great leaders themselves. Her primary goal is to motivate and inspire. She will encourage all to work for the greater good. LaTisha is charismatic and cares about the well-being and success of others. Likewise, she exemplifies a servant leadership theory in which she gives authority to followers, help her followers. LaTisha’s follower will definitely be empowered. LaTisha is a nurturer, listener, empathetic, and moral.... [tags: Leadership, Management]
1089 words (3.1 pages)
- A Great Leader It is hard to be a person of leadership. Everything that is done whether it is right or wrong it falls back on that person. It takes much dedication to be a good leader. Leadership plays a huge role when one is the president of the United States. One could just imagine all the stress and tension one would be put through as president. Just think of all those hard decisions that must be made for the better of the country. One will definitely need to possess leadership skills in order to be a great president.... [tags: American Civil War, Abraham Lincoln]
1251 words (3.6 pages)
- Abstract The meaning of leadership and the styles and concepts it takes to be an effective leader. A great leader is one who influences a group of individuals to achieve a common goal. There are three major types of leader styles; Democratic which is the type to include their group members. The autocratic, which is the type to pretty much, are bossy. And lastly the Laissez-Faire, which one pretty much does their own thing and guides them to hopefully finishing the task. With all the different leadership styles come the six characteristics that help build ideal leaders no matter what style is used.... [tags: Leadership, Charismatic authority]
1551 words (4.4 pages)
- Pseudo-Transformational Leadership Everyone has their definition of what makes a great leader. Some individuals base it on values, character, and ethics that a leader demonstrates. Others believe that leaders are born; that their ability to lead is natural, something that cannot be taught. Hollander and Julian (1969), argued that it is possible leaders are risen from situations, stating “there are no absolute leaders, since successful leadership must always take into account the specific requirements imposed by the nature of the group” (para 13).... [tags: Leadership, Sociology, Transactional leadership]
1234 words (3.5 pages)
- To be a leader, one must posses leadership however, to describe leadership, much like any other human trait, it is a difficult task. For much of human history scholars and leaders have discussed what is leadership and what makes a great leader. However it is difficult to compare one leader 's accomplishments to another because every generation has their different struggles. Without comparing different leaders, to define what leadership is first you must examine who can be a leader. Every individual strives to be a leader, and thus every individual can be a leader.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Servant leadership, Skill]
1008 words (2.9 pages)
- The Leadership Code describes the essential rules that govern great leaders. Defining the essential serves two purposes, one to help others become better leaders themselves and second to help those charged with building better leadership in their organization. It states that an effective leader requires you to help other leads and being a better leader starts with the self. One must model what you want other to know and do.1 Leaders are learners. The leadership code provides both structure and guidance to help one become a better individual, but also how to build better leadership capacity.... [tags: rules, protector, temperment]
922 words (2.6 pages)
- ... In this theory we can find things like remaining calm under pressure, admitting errors not hiding them, have a broad range of ideas instead of limited ones. 3. Contingency theories: When looking at this theory we see that it states that no single leadership style is adequate for every group, situation circumstance. Each case is different and treated differently. Some of the contingency theories that we can find are the strategic, Fielder’s and Vroom & Yetton’s decision contingency theory. 4. Situational theories: Leaders are chosen in this theory to occupy certain situations, because they have more knowledge and expertise in this area.... [tags: Leadership, Management]
985 words (2.8 pages)
- This paper will address my personal feelings of what is leadership. It will then discuss the characteristics that go into making up a great leader. Next, I will evaluate my strengths and weaknesses as an effective leader in relation to my list of great leadership characteristics. As a final point, I will finish with a plan on how I will improve myself as a leader. Leadership is a difficult word to define. There are so many different meanings that leadership has meant over the centuries. My personal definition is, "Leadership is a positive process that helps followers to move in the right direction so they can eventually achieve their goals." 1.... [tags: Leadership]
1569 words (4.5 pages)
- What Makes a Great Leader. By: Jeanette Rios MGT 450 Organizational Behavior September 28, 2014 What is a leader. A leader is someone who leads or commands a group, organization or country. To me a leader is someone demonstrates dedication to an organization and will do whatever it takes to make that organization successful. Leaders inspire positivity and direct others to a specific goal and the ability to create goal oriented teams. Knowledge is a key element for a great leader, they have to know how to get their team to perform at their best.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Skill]
1945 words (5.6 pages)
- The great man theory was introduced in the 19th century, to help describe and explain leaders/leadership. Historian Thomas Carlye (1888) backed and supported this theory, he believed that great leaders had the right characteristics for leadership; he further believed that leaders had an innate gift of “divine inspiration” to be successful leaders. However Sociologist Herbert Spencer (1896) rejected this theory. Spencer believed that leaders were simply the product of where they came from and how their life experiences shaped their view of life.... [tags: Leadership, Sociology, Homosexuality]
1529 words (4.4 pages)