In fact, for his purpose Nibley explains the hidden history behind the shift of leaders for managers, the different concepts and nature of leaders and managers with multiple evidence in different societies along humanity. Besides, Nibley argued the mistake of having just managerial skill but a mix of both. Moreover, it was difficult to find a concrete fallacy or to assume that the author used fallacies in his speech because of the clear evidence and references he provided.
On an introductory way to focus the graduated class, Nibley started telling them the great scarcity of leaders in society because of the leader-manager shift in society. Thus, Nibley referred to that particular change from leaders to managers in the human history. According to Nibley, in some point between the earthly Christian history and the roman empire, leadership decreased for an increase of management. It was then that the inspired leader that conducted the spiritual ceremonies was changed by the city bishop. The city bishop was an individual without innovation or charisma; but with great rhetoric, ambitio...
... middle of paper ...
...reat shift from leaders to management in the early Christian history that people could be more convinced of the evidence. Moreover, he also explained the division between managers and leaders using scriptural resources that people realized the real natures of manager and leaders. Also, Nibley pursued people through examples that vivified the essence of leadership and management. Another purpose of Nibley’s address was that having some management skills was not bad, while these are not the first thing in life. Furthermore, it was difficult to find any fallacy in his remarks because even when in some parts his talk seemed to be biased, his information remained very impartial in the way he used it. Through his speech, it could be said that Nibley pursued and achieved his goal that some graduate students and other people felt motivated to change their minds and actions.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The decade of the 1980 was an important time for the world, especially for the United States was a decade when the technology, economy, sciences raised the sky. However, people cannot take away the role of those graduated college students that conducted that time. Some of these graduated students were clearly motivated by some of their professors. One of these cases was the speech “Leaders and Managers” by Hugh Nibley to the BYU graduated class of 1984. In his speech, Nibley put all his efforts to motivate the graduated class of the necessity in the world of real leaders and not just merely managers through evidence, concepts, and examples in society.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Roman Empire]
2026 words (5.8 pages)
- In this evidence analysis paper about the speech “Leaders and Managers” by Hugh Nibley to the BYU graduated class of 1984. Nibley put all his efforts to motivate the graduated class of the necessity in the world of real leaders and not just merely managers. For this purpose, Nibley started by explaining the hidden history behind the shift of leaders for managers in the world through historical evidence. Also, Nibley explained the basic division between these two characters leaders and manager using clear and consistent explanations.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Roman Empire]
1709 words (4.9 pages)
- In todays fast paced medical environment there are nurses who were born to lead. They have the personalities that engage people and can get them to follow them. Also there are managers some who are born leaders and others without the ability to lead. Here a view of the differences between leaders and managers their roles, responsibilities and qualities. Currently the the Transformational leader is the one being endorsed by the Institute of Medicince (Finkelman, 2012). Although it does not always work there are typically errors, here some strategies are reviewed to overcome these failures.... [tags: Medical Environment, Nursin, Leaders]
1660 words (4.7 pages)
- Leaders versus Managers 2 Leaders Versus Managers Leaders or Managers is a common issue in the workplace.Years ago people would find a job to support their family and make a career. Their loyalty and devotion was for providing for their family and climbing the ladder. There was a shift at some point in the last twenty years, where managers did not rise in the ranks, they were sought out. Company 's no longer looks from within for a manager. They realized that making the person who has been with the company the longest into the manager did not make them a leader.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Skill]
785 words (2.2 pages)
- Abstract Leading is not same as managing. Leadership is the process of directing the behavior of others toward the accomplishment some objective. Leadership has always been considered a prerequisite for organizational success. The central theme of leadership is getting things accomplished through people. Leader inquires and manager inform about the organization so without leadership an organization can’t gain the goals. Although an organization may have products and services but without leadership those are value less.... [tags: Leadership]
1427 words (4.1 pages)
- Leaders and Managers Leaders and managers are two individual roles with multiple intertwining definitions. In order to be a leader, one must have followers, however; does not everyone under management, follow the managers orders. Therefore, the question arises, are managers leaders. If so, what constitutes as leadership. Obviously, in order to obtain these roles, one must have influence over their subordinates, but does the level of influence fluctuate between a manager’s role and a leaders role.... [tags: Leadership]
976 words (2.8 pages)
- There is much talk about leadership in today's world it has captured much attention though the media. We live in the technical age of communication where leadership is a hot topic. A strong leader motivates us and moves us from complacency to competitiveness. The accomplishments of an organization can directly be related to the combined efforts of everyone involved. This paper will examine the leadership of the organization I work for. We will discuss the role of its leaders and managers. We will compare and contrast the roles of its leaders and managers, while supporting this organizational belief that all managers are leaders.... [tags: Common Goal, Organizational Structure]
894 words (2.6 pages)
- For one to be a leader, one must have followers, however; not everyone under management, follow the managers orders. That is why they question if managers are leaders. The main question is what constitutes as leadership. In order to achieve these roles, they must have influence over their subordinates, but does the level of influence fluctuate between a manager’s role and a leader’s role. What exactly are their individual roles. The purpose of this paper is to analysis these questions and to identify the differences and similarities between managers and leaders.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Strategic management]
706 words (2 pages)
- Amongst a majority of topics discussed within business, the question of whether or not leaders and managers are the same has been one discussed profusely. A manager is described as “A person responsible for controlling or administering an organization or group of staff’’ (Oxford, 2016). This being quite a basic definition does not allow one to fully understand what qualities define management. When defined, a leader is ‘a person who leads or commands a group, organisation, or country (Oxford, 2016).... [tags: Management, Leadership, Definition]
1439 words (4.1 pages)
- Leaders and Managers A former advertising campaign for a beer company established the slogan, "Tastes great, less filling." The light beer was not only tasty, but it also didn’t fill you up, combining two good qualities into one product. Like the beer, you also need to demonstrate multiple abilities. To be successful in today’s industry, a combination of both leadership and management skills is required. Just like the beer that claimed to be both tasty and less filling, you need to be able to be both a leader and a manager in your organization.... [tags: Business Leading Managing Essays]
1092 words (3.1 pages)