First of all, LASIK eye surgery is an irreversible procedure and can cause serious complications. These complications can occur in either of the two steps of the surgery on the cornea. The first step, which is creating the flap by microtome blade or with the newly technique femtosecond laser, is important to uncover corneal stroma where the second step takes place on. This step can cause serious complication called flap buttonholing which can endanger the cornea to sub-epithelial scarring and epithelial ingrowths (McAlinden et al .2008, p.24) which can affect the vision negatively. Maldonado (2002) asserts that even with the improvement of the instrument and ophth...
... middle of paper ...
...ry via ProQuest Science Journals , ISSN:0193-032X.
Maldonado, M 2002,’how to prevent, manage the occurrence of flap buttonholes’, Ophthalmology Times, vol 27, No 12,p.7, accessed 19 May 2010 from UNSW library via ProQuest Science Journals , ISSN:0193-032X.
McAlinden C, Moore, J 2008,‘laser refractive surgery part 2- potential complications with laser in situ keratomileusis (Lasik)’, The Optician, vol.236, issue.6161, p.25-28, accessed 23 May 2010 from UNSW library, ISSN: 0030-3968
Rosman M, Alio, J, Perez, J 2008, ‘Comparison of LASIK and Photorefractive
Keratectomy for Myopia From -10.00 to -18.00 Diopters 10 Years After Surgery’, journal of refractive surgery, vol.26, no.3, pp.168-175.accessed on 21 May 2010 from miscellaneous E journals
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- How LASIK Eye Surgery Works LASIK eye surgery has become a common procedure amongst people with vision troubles like myopia (near-sightedness), hypermetropia (farsightedness), and astigmatism. This corrective surgery is considered to be one of the best options in correcting eyesight, but also one that makes many patients cringe. LASIK surgery uses lasers to reshape the cornea and by doing so, corrects the patient’s vision. In the 1950’s, the idea of LASIK surgery began in the mind of Jose Barraquer.... [tags: radial keratotomy, health]
2034 words (5.8 pages)
- Putting a Close Eye on LASIK Laser-Assisted In situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) is a surgical operation intended to allow an individual to live independent of glasses or contacts. Since 1995, when the Food and Drug Administration approved the type of laser used in corrective eye surgery, optometrists have developed a number of different procedures to clear up foggy or blurry vision in one's eye. In 1998, the Lasik surgery became the most common type of surgery, and remains the number one refractive eye surgery today.... [tags: Eyesight Vision Corrective Surgery]
1143 words (3.3 pages)
- How many of you know what laser surgery is. Perhaps, you have heard of this, but today lets learn about this procedure. The definition for laser eye surgery is, surgery used to correct vision in people who are nearsighted, farsighted, or have astigmatism. Lasik surgery is an outpatient procedure, and there is no overnight stay. Before you begin any kind of surgery it is beneficial you speak to your eye doctor. Set up an appointment to see what kind of laser surgery would be right for you. This will give the doctor an opportunity to see if you qualify for this type of a procedure.... [tags: Surgery, Laser, LASIK, Refractive surgery]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- Refractive Laser Surgery: An In-Depth Look at Lasik Refractive laser surgery offers the chance to have near perfect vision, a God-send to people who are tired of wearing glasses. As its popularity grows, it is worth taking an in-depth look at Lasik and finding out what this wonder surgery entails. Refractive laser surgery is a surgery to correct the refractive index of the eye to reduce the need for glasses or contact lenses. It can correct such vision problems such as myopia, or nearsightedness, hyperopia, or farsightedness, and astigmatism, which is the inability of the cornea to focus a sharp image on the cornea.... [tags: Lasik, Eye Correction]
1180 words (3.4 pages)
- LASIK Vision Correction Are you ready to give up your glasses or contacts. LASIK vision correction is an up-and-coming procedure designed to reduce your dependence on glasses and contacts. My objective is to show both sides of the procedure, the risks involved and the wonderful possibility of not having to wear glasses or corrective lenses. Of patients with moderate vision impairments who have had the LASIK surgery performed, eighty-two percent achieve 20/20 vision or better and ninety-nine percent achieve 20/40 or better (May 60).... [tags: Lasik Seeing Eye blind Essays]
1212 words (3.5 pages)
- Seeing well without contact lenses and glasses is the dream of millions of Americans and modern medical science has enabled that dream to come true (Caster, 8). Since first grade, Dede Head, a 30-year-old fitness trainer in North Carolina, has worn glasses to correct sever nearsightedness and astigmatism. Over the years she became accustomed to wearing glasses and contacts, but this has limited many important aspects of her life, including sports. She then heard of a laser eye surgery that “supposedly”, helped to correct a person’s vision by means of lasers.... [tags: LASIK Surgery Essays]
3011 words (8.6 pages)
- Vision is the sense that let people have fun by seeing things and how other people look like so they can judge who is beautiful and who's not. Some people don't know how important vision is. Actually, I'm one of those people who didn't know how important vision was so I used my eyes pretty much and lost most of my eyesight. I used to watch TV everyday, play pc games and stay up late until I get tired. Now, I regret for what I?ve done to my eyes and hopes I can bring back my vision. What really bugs me about that is when my teacher asks me to answer or read something on the board, I can?t read it so students and the teacher think that I don?t know the answer.... [tags: essays research papers]
1076 words (3.1 pages)
- " Laser eye surgery " What makes someone with law Vision have a laser eye surgery?. "Laser eye surgery" or "Lasik" or "laser corneal sculpting" it’s a revolutionary mutation in the field of medicine. Thanks to Lasik people have no more to wear their glasses or lenses. In this operation the surgeon uses a specific kind of laser to reshape the cornea. Although there is a very small ratio for the mistake or the Failure of this kind of surgery, but it is a very effective way to treat the deficiency of the sight.... [tags: reshaping the cornea]
567 words (1.6 pages)
- A Student Looks at Two Websites on Lasik Surgery (laser surgery) Today there are so many choices in life and a person who wears glasses or contacts might decide to eliminate the need for such medical devices. Lasik (Laser assisted in situ keratomileusis), the most commonly performed type of laser surgery, is an effective treatment that can correct many vision problems by reshaping the cornea. Life without glasses or contact lenses would be easier and more enjoyable for any human being. But can a person’s vision get worse after the procedure.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Web Sites]
1706 words (4.9 pages)
- The LASIK Surgical Procedure LASIK is a surgical procedure done on the eyes so that people can see ok better. One would not have to wear contacts or glasses anymore. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, LASIK is a surgical procedure done to reduce the use of glasses and contacts. However doctors say that if one is comfortable wearing their contacts and glasses then they should continue doing so. Why is that. There are many risks and complications with the procedure that one must weigh out before going through with it.... [tags: Research Papers Essays]
372 words (1.1 pages)