The therapist begun the session by greeting the client and his mother and proceeds to ask L about his weekend and what his family did. This appeared to be normal conversation but he therapist was actually re-establishing the rapport with L and his mother to ensure they felt comfortable. She started off with broad questions about the weekend and what L has been doing since the last visit. The therapist then began to ask more specific questions to get a baseline of L’s severity rating. To get an understanding of how L has been going since the last session the therapist asked to see the severity rating chart, unfortunately the mother had left this at home but she explained it had been mostly 2’s-3’s. L has also not done a smooth talking session due to going away for the weekend, so the therapist asked his mother and him to do an example of smooth talking session like they normally would do. L and his mother looked at a book and his mother asked him questions relating to it, they also played a game of “Who am I?”. This game got L to think about questions to ask his mother, the therapist was able to observe the session and see how the mother was interacting and giving feedback to L. Once they had completed the session the therapist asked the mother to evaluate it and compare it to other sessions completed at home. The mother said that is was a good session and was consistent to the session they completed at home. She gave the session a severity rating of 2 because he did have one or two blocks but that was much better than previous weeks. The therapist then provided feedback to ...
... middle of paper ...
... the age of 6 but has also been proven to work on school aged children. It has been used by the therapist on children up to 11. Lidcombe is a parent treatment programme rather than therapy based, the role of the speech therapist is to teach and advise the parents on how they can conduct and improve the treatment. This treatment has been proven to be very effective as it treats the stutter in the location of the stuttering rather than in the clinic. The treatment relies on parent giving praise and reinforcement of stutter free speech during conversations called smooth talking. These smooth talking sessions aim to bring the level of stuttering down by adjusting the complexity of the conversation. To begin with the parent and client talk about simple things such as a book or favourite activity. As the severity of the stutter is reduced the language becomes more complex.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Emmett Till (1941-1955) Background and Early Years: Emmett Louis "Bobo" Till was born on July 25, 1941 and was a 14-year-old Black boy from Chicago who was brutally murdered in Money, Miss., a small town in the state's delta region. His murder has been cited as one of the key events that energized the nascent Civil Rights Movement. The primary suspects in the case of his death were acquitted, but they later admitted to committing the crime. Till's mother, Mamie, insisted on a public funeral service with an open casket to let everyone see the manner in which he had been brutally killed.... [tags: Emmett Till Biography Early Years]
1373 words (3.9 pages)
- Adolescence (12-18 years old) Turning 13, I found myself starting in the world of high school, where the biggest bullies were the teachers, and your only solitude, a book. Despite my rough start to this particular stage, of which derived from my middle childhood, I was to find a small group of like-minded friends with the same appreciation for education and a reserved outlook on life. This can be attributed to the theory of ‘Niche-picking’, where someone is drawn to people and environments in which acceptance and comfort is guaranteed due to the similarity in thinking and goals (McElhaney & Antonishak, 2008).... [tags: Nature versus nurture, Psychology]
877 words (2.5 pages)
- In this essay I will be discussing about the 45 year old cold war between the U.S and Russia. The main points that will be sufficient in explaining this topic is how it started, why it started, who benefited from it, and finally who won. This was a very epidemic war and thankfully it was a nonviolent war not a bloody one with death and conflict. From the articles of "Lessons From the History of the Cold War." By (John B. Donovan), “Without Mercy"--U.S. Strategic Intelligence and Finland in The Cold War." by (Jukka Rislakki), "Reconnaissance Drones: Their First Use in the Cold War." By (Cargill R.... [tags: Cold War, Soviet Union, United States]
1200 words (3.4 pages)
- Aaliyah is a young woman of 25 years old. She grew up in her parent’s house and decided to leave home when she was 18 years old, due to her father’s alcohol use. She finished high school and after moving in with a friend and finding a full time job, she decided to go back to school. Aaliyah is going to school to get her degree in criminal justice. She is not happy at her current place of employment; she is working at a contracting company as an administrative assistant and is ready to move on and find something different to do with her life.... [tags: Alcoholism, Alcohol, Psychology]
734 words (2.1 pages)
- Oral stage (0-1-years-old). Fouché and Holz (2015) explained why Freud believed, a parent’s behavior helps to shape the child’s personality, whether positively or negatively. During this stage, an infant learns to love, pleasure, and displeasure while being nourished through their mouths. Likewise, the Oral stage seems to have the greatest impression for healthy development and attachments, forming unhealthy habits (e.g., eating disorders and substance abuse), and becoming productive adults (Knight, 2014).... [tags: Psychosexual development, Phallic stage]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- Our childhoods are full of experiences most likely taken for granted. As children, we are forced to explore the world beyond through education, field trips, and observation but feelings of obligation build up. Strolling through an art museum at six years old was tedious; the only part that remains in memory is recess, lunch and being with peers. As schooling progressed, there was an emphasis on note-taking, documentation, and reflection at these museums. What was the one piece that spoke to you.... [tags: Art, Modernism, Human, Aesthetics]
1644 words (4.7 pages)
- Sex after 50 years old. What is the stigma. Nowadays, people who continue to have sex over the age of 50 are often categorized under taboo. A question for people who turn the other way about the topic, what is the "socially acceptable" cut-off age for sexual relations. When does it become inappropriate for two consenting adults to have sex. It seems to be, that the standard sexual peek acceptable by society 's standards is at 18 years old, and ceasing at menopause for women, and around 50 years of age for men.... [tags: Human sexuality, Human sexual behavior]
1040 words (3 pages)
- I was 23 years old. My husband Bharat came to the US from Gujarat, India in 1985 on a student visa to study for a masters in engineering. After one year at his new job he returned to India for marriage. Our marriage was a completely arranged marriage. I had never seen him before, I had never talked to him before, we were set up by our families. I was chosen because they (the families) thought my background in pharmacy was more helpful when you come here (to the US) so you don’t struggle as much.... [tags: Marriage, Arranged marriage, Family]
824 words (2.4 pages)
- Place yourself in this picture; you are in an unfamiliar land where you have no idea what to expect, where to go, or what your role is. All you know is that your forefathers were promised to inherit a land all their own, and now after years of living in a foreign country as an unpaid labourer, it is time for that promise to be realised in your life. You are scared and at the same time excited to be finally going to a place you can call home… A critical moment in the story of God in the Old Testament is when Abram at around 2081BC1 (well after the flood) is told by God in Genesis 12 to, "Go to the land that I will show you".(v1) And, "I will make you a great nation" (v2)... [tags: Old Testament, Bible, Israelites, Torah]
1089 words (3.1 pages)
- Summary of Twelve Years a Slave Solomon Northup was born a freeman. On Christmas day, 1829, Northup married Anne Hampton. He was about twenty one years old and decided to enter upon a life of industry so that he could help support him and his wife. He first was employed with others repairing the Champlain Canal. By the time the Canal was finished Northup purchased a pair of horses and other things necessarily required in the business of navigation. He hired several men to help him and he began to transport large rafts of timber from Lake Champlain to Troy.... [tags: American Literature Twelve Years Slave Essays]
5067 words (14.5 pages)