The first little bit of evidence that proves that the story of King Arthur is real is the fact that he existed in a day and age long ago. “If there is a historical basis to the character, it is clear that he would have gained fame as a warrior battling the Germanic invaders of the late fifth and early sixth centuries” (Joe). Since there is no conclusive evidence for or against Arthur's historicity, the debate will continue. But what can not be denied is the influence of the figure of Arthur on literature, art, music, and society from the Middle Ages to the present. Though there have been numerous historical novels that try to put Arthur into a sixth-century setting, it is the legendary figure of the late Middle Ages who has most captured the imagination.
An outline of the Arthur’s life is first given by the character Geoffrey of Monmouth. He tells us that King Arthur was the son of Uther and defeated the barbarians in dozens of battles. “Subsequently, he conquered a wide empire and eventually went to war...
... middle of paper ...
...ll not believe these to be true. That is why the story of Jesus Christ and the Bible was introduced. In the end, there is no doubt that King Arthur existed, and his legendary life shall be forever remembered.
Ashe, Geoffrey. "Camelot." British Heritage Mar. 1998: 30-37. SIRS. 2004. Web. 21 Nov. 2013.
Currin, Nathan. "King Arthur & The Knights of the Round Table | History, Legend and Everything in Between." King Arthur & The Knights of the Round Table | History,Legend and Everything in Between. N.p., 2001. Web. 21 Nov. 2013.
Huntley, Dana. "The Quest for the Historical Author." British Heritage Mar. 1998: 12-15. SIRS. 2004. Web. 21 Nov. 2013.
Joe, Jimmy. "Timeless Myths." Timeless Myths. N.p., 2008. Web. 21 Nov. 2013.
Ralls, Karen. "Legends of the Grail: The Chivalric Vision." Review. The Quest Dec. 2003: a 210-15. SIRS. Dec. 2003. Web. 21 Nov. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Hey, you. Can you give me your favorite Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail quote. This movie is filled with all kinds of hilarious puns and jokes that can make anyone laugh til they cry. The group Monty Python is a comedy group out of England that is made up of six actors. Most of their skits have some historical background to them. Which is the same in the movie Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail. Anyone with an eye for the medieval times can pull of many true historical factors.... [tags: Holy Grail, King Arthur]
767 words (2.2 pages)
- What exactly is the Holy Grail. Does anyone really know why it is so significant. Why is this grail so important. These are all such questions that anyone could ask if one had no knowledge of either the Last Supper or the Arthurian age--two times in which the Holy Grail holds outstanding significance. Throughout the length of this research paper, one will come to know what the Holy Grail is, why it holds such a high amount of significance, its relationship to the Arthurian age and what the Holy Grail means now in the modern world.... [tags: Holy Grail, King Arthur, Romance]
1039 words (3 pages)
- When comparing the reins of the mediaeval French kings Louis VI and Louis IX the contrarieties in the priorities of the monarch rulers becomes apparent. The actions of King Louis IX are clearly inspired by Christian values while King Louis VI cares less about morals but more about loyalty to his rein. The contrary between the two kings can be seen through the contemporary literature of the time, namely in the characters of Reynard in Reynard the Fox and Lancelot in King Arthur’s Quest for the Holy Grail.... [tags: King Arthur, Holy Grail, House of Capet, Gawain]
1274 words (3.6 pages)
- What starts out as a story meant to intrigue its audience soon evolves into a true legend known throughout the world reaching almost every inch and crevasse in sight. The tale of King Arthur Pendragon is one that sees many forms, nevertheless still stays true to certain aspects of its origin. We seek to explain Arthur’s history in books, in voice and, in the contemporary world, through films. Although some tell a story, it is interesting to also learn the recorded history and parallels found throughout each that cause Arthur Pendragon and his Knights of the Round Table to be such unique aspects to look at.... [tags: King Arthur, Holy Grail, Lancelot]
703 words (2 pages)
- The Quest for the Holy Grail was the greatest and noblest of all quests for King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table. The Holy Grail was believed to be the cup used by Jesus Christ at the Last Supper, and it was the cup that caught Christ's blood when he was thrust in the side with a spear at his crucifixion. Joseph of Arimathea, the wealthy man who allowed Christ to be placed in his tomb, is said to have brought the cup with him to Britain, but it was later lost. It was said that the cup disappeared because of the sins of the times, but many believed it to be hidden, and still in England.... [tags: History]
300 words (0.9 pages)
- People all around the world have experienced a tumultuous period in their life. The legend of King Arthur helps people connect to something outside of themselves during these rough patches. The different stories of King Arthur are very relatable to people of different backgrounds and cultures. The legend of King Arthur has withstood the tests of time because of the connection it has to people of different backgrounds, cultures, and time periods. The history of the legend provides a detailed past to Britain, as well as the rest of the world and has captured the attention of readers for centuries.... [tags: King Arthur, Holy Grail, Le Morte d'Arthur]
1370 words (3.9 pages)
- Carina peered at her mirror, absorbing her reflection. She wore her blonde locks loose and flowing, as was traditional, with a wreath of holly and ivy upon her curls. The royal blue gown, secured with a cream-colored sash around her waist, was stunning; the final product turned out far better than she might have hoped. She fingered the long, light bell sleeves that flowed gently from her elbow to her wrist, but her favorite part of the gown was the tiny, cream-colored beads that adorned the bodice and hem of the dress.... [tags: Holy Grail, King Arthur]
1234 words (3.5 pages)
- “Heroes can help us lift our eyes a little higher” (LaBarge). LaBarge is saying that heroes inspire us and because they inspire us, the sword Excalibur is popular in animation. Everyone searches for a person who can lead them, who possesses great power, and who can inspire them; the sword Excalibur is always wielded by someone who fits those traits. The powerful blade makes an appearance in the animation Soul Eater, Sword Art Online, and Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works, which takes different approaches on the sword Excalibur and its abilities.... [tags: Holy Grail, King Arthur, Excalibur]
1265 words (3.6 pages)
- A leader’s job is to show people the way they are supposed to go. This idea is shown by the very name they are called. The dictionary definition of lead is to “organize and direct” . Leaders show people the way, yet in our current world, that is not how leaders are portrayed. In a democracy, our representatives are supposed to represent the people. Our president is supposed to do what the American people tell him to. This makes the President a simple spokesperson for our country. It is a strange idea that the President is the most powerful person on the planet, but he must adhere to the wishes of his people, that seems to contradict itself.... [tags: Holy Grail, King Arthur, Lancelot, Gawain]
2388 words (6.8 pages)
- The Spiritual and Moral Journeys in The Quest of the Holy Grail The Quest of the Holy Grail is an exciting tale that follows the adventures of King Arthur's knights as they scour the countryside for the legendary Holy Grail. Throughout their journeys, the knights engage in many exciting jousts and sword fights with a variety of enemies. The author of The Quest of the Holy Grail intends for the story to be more than just entertainment: the knights' search for the Holy Grail is analogous to the pursuit of morality and spiritual chivalry, showing success through asceticism, confession, chastity, and faith.... [tags: Quest Holy Grail Essays Papers]
2330 words (6.7 pages)