your cart, you confirm that you have all the items you need. You wait for your turn to check out, when
your eyes wander to a nearby rack of colorful magazines. They read in big, bold letters, “10 Sex
Secrets You Need To Know,” “7 Tips For Great Sex!” They look trashy, but you are intrigued
nonetheless by the prospect of learning new, hidden secrets for better sex. You do not pick up the
magazines to look through them, but you cannot help but wonder what secrets they hold.
A good deal of those magazines actually say that the key to great sex is communication.
According to The Cosmopolitan, communication allows partners to check what they are comfortable
with doing, how satisfied they are with sex, and what new things they can try (Benjamin). This sounds easy enough
—talk to your partner, and you are on the road to heavenly orgasms. Yet, according to Washington
Post, 52% of Americans are unsatisfied with their sex lives (Stepp). A recent international survey ranks
Americans as the world's fifth worst sex partners. This is an unpleasant characterization of Americans,
but this generalization is not far-fetched. American sex education, as Amanda Duberman writes for
Huffington Post, is sub-par (Duberman). The American sex education quota includes little more than
telling students that if they have sex, they will, in a nutshell, get pregnant and die from syphilis.
American media such as films and television shows tend to censor sexual content more heavily than it
censors violence. Schools and media teach Americans that sex is mystified, taboo, and shameful. By
imposing negative characteristics on sex and its discourse, Ameri...
... middle of paper ...
...of years. By disconnecting themselves from sex and its discourse, Americans are disconnecting themselves from the practice that has given them the gift of life. How could a nation separate itself from a practice—a function—that is undeniably human? And not only is sex a function for the survival of a species, but it has also grown to become an expression of love. For generations, sex has been a universal symbol for passion, unity, trust, devotion; love.
Teach the student what it means to have sex. Teach the teacher what it means to discuss sex. Teach them not to be afraid of sex, for sex is human. It is the culmination of love and survival. The magazines in Shop Rite may look trashy, but they make a good point: Communication is the key to great sex. Before Americans can become the world's superpower in love-making, they must first open the conversation about sex.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... Although feedback is usually verbal language, it can be nonverbal as well. Context plays an important role in effective communication. Context refers to the situation or the setting in which a event takes place. Lastly, the channel refers to the way in which the message was sent. Face-to-face channel makes communication simpler because speech and vision are both involved. Telephone or text message are also channels that rely on speech or vision only. Telephone or text message are not appropriate channels to use when the situation is unfavorable.... [tags: Communication, Nonverbal communication]
778 words (2.2 pages)
- The way in which the majority of the world now communicates is through Social Network Sites which is very common in today’s society. Over the past ten years Facebook has grown to be the number one social network site utilized in the world. The purpose of this research is to educate parents on the dangers it can bring to adolescents. The primary audience will be parents of adolescent children. This research will explore the disadvantages of adolescent communication on Facebook media. Focusing on Cyberbullying, Sexting, and Facebook Depression, looking at how this behavior can have a negative impact on them.... [tags: cyberbullying, facebook depression, sexting]
900 words (2.6 pages)
- Many teenage girls are unaware that their life may change due to an unplanned pregnancy. An unplanned pregnancy is a huge issue among the adolescent population. According to Lawrence Finer and Mia Zoina, 51% of pregnancies were unintended in the United States. The majority of the unintended pregnancies in the United States begin with the age of 15 (Lawrence and Zonia 2013). I chose this topic because many teenage girls are not aware that they are exposed to unplanned pregnancies. The best practices in preventing teenage pregnancies relates to health counseling because teenage girls need the appropriate guidance to prevent an unintended pregnancy from occurring.... [tags: Teenage pregnancy, Pregnancy]
1754 words (5 pages)
- Based on the book Brain Sex male a female brains work differently. A woman is wired to be more sensitive, and they are more alert to the senses touch, smell, and sound. They see more into detail, have better memory, and are better at communicating than male. It is believed that these results are because: “the right hemisphere of her brain that controls the emotions is better connected to the left side of the brain that controls verbal expressions.” (Sex Brain 100) On the other hand, men are “single-minded because his brain is more compartmentalised.” (Brain Sex 101) Men are more aware of themselves and self-gain and not their surroundings.... [tags: Male, Gender, Female, Human]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- The Great Debate Introduction: I'd like to know why, the other day, I had this random thought: "I'm a bit hungry. I'd like to eat a carrot. " Two theories would explain this seemingly unimportant thought as follows: Behavioural - As a child, you received positive verbal reinforcement for eating a carrot, and still expect such positive factors to happen if you continue such behaviour. Psychoanalysis - You are trying to suppress your hidden cravings for violence and sex by sublimating your energy into random thoughts, although some unconscious "id" needs are being shown - after all, a carrot is a phallic symbol.... [tags: Papers]
1721 words (4.9 pages)
- The Keys to Happiness Every couple wants to know the secret to a long lasting relationship. They want the keys to keeping the love in the relationship growing each day. Wondering how do they satisfy their partner physically, mentally and spiritually. I plan to shed some light and discuss areas in your relationship that you can work on to achieve that long lasting happiness. To pave the way to a long lasting relationship you will need to work and continue to build these four key areas. First, you will need to have that open line of communication between you and your partner.... [tags: Marriage, Love, Adultery, Affair]
1882 words (5.4 pages)
- Communication is the Key In today ‘successful organizations one key factor that plays a major role in the business field is Communication. Communication is important because it offers a two way process of both parties coming to a mutual agreement or understanding. The three topics that I chose for essay is Channel of Communication, Formal and Informal Communication, and Interaction between Supervisors and Subordinates. They all can relate to each other in the business world because having a great source of communication can definitely build a successful and organized organization.... [tags: Communication, Nonverbal communication, Writing]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- Communication is the Key to a Happy World Since the beginning of the age, the United States has been in many roles with other nations. From fighting from our freedom from Grate Britain, to helping fellow nations when they are in need of help. Others may think that the U.S is a perfect nation but in reality we are not a perfect nation we have gone through bad times where we we have have done things that we are not proud of the things that have occurred. The United States still holds such high standers with it comes to international affairs, yet there are still countries out there that look up to the U.S.... [tags: United States, Nationalism, Communication]
1463 words (4.2 pages)
- Communication is key in any organisation. Without communication there would be no information to work with, no one would know what to do, and there would be no firm rules on which to make organisational decisions, thus introducing the importance of communication among all levels of management. The small communication problem between first line managers and non-managerial employees is what causes businesses to either succeed or fail. The communication process is a very simple one. It consists of the sender (the person sending the message), the message, the medium through which the message is being sent, the receiver (the person receiving the message), noise (barriers that prevent the receiver... [tags: Communication, Organization, Management]
1587 words (4.5 pages)
- In the real world, people interact and socialize all the time. Even after schooling, communication plays a key factor in the community. Learning in coed schools is the first step to developing good communication skills. If boys and girls learn in coed schools, they will be prepared for the distraction that comes in the future, they will be taught equally, and avoid stereotypes. Despite the fact that learning in coed schools might be a distraction, separating boys and girls is not the solution to stopping this.... [tags: single-sex schools, opposite gender]
543 words (1.6 pages)