The characteristics of a strategic leader
The strategic leadership model requires plenty from its leader. Since the leader has to be involved with every aspect of the organisation, the needed characteristics emphasise the leader’s people skills and organisational abilities. The below five are the key characteristics a strategic leader should focus on developing in order to succeed.
Strategic leaders need to be able to look at complex situations and come up with the best solutions for moving forward. Therefore, the leader must be curious about the options and be able to question things. If you don’t feel inquisitive, you won’t be able to find strategic solutions to questions, as you’ll just rely on things you’ve previously learned.
Inquisitive personality can provide leaders a number of benefits. It can help in building relationship with other people because you are curious about their worldview and opinions. But it also makes learning new things easier. If you are able to find an angle that interests you, learning about almost anything is much easier and more fun. When you learn new things, you naturally become better at leading since your understanding of the world is better. You can make connections and get a fresh insight by looking at things from new perspectives, rather than just staying inside your comfort zone.
Improving your inquisitive nature isn’t dif...
... middle of paper ...
...nge these predictions. The actions the leader takes now must be aware of the different roads ahead for the business.
• The ability to decide. But the leader cannot be inactive or spend too much time simply thinking about the different possibilities. The future and its many outcomes cannot stop the strategic leader from making decisions, because inaction can damage the business. Therefore, a strategic leader is able to interpret and predict and then come to a conclusion which tells the direction the company will move towards. Although strategic leadership is not about barking orders to subordinates, the leader’s role is still to point out the direction and coach the team towards it.
Finally, to get an insight into some of the abilities and skills strategic leaders need, watch the below video of Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz explaining the habits of strategic leader.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Strategic Leaders and Top-Level Management in an Organization Strategic leaders provide the direction, vision, purpose for growth, and context for success of an organization. The most effective organizations are preparing now for tomorrow’s leaders, precisely seeking future leaders that possess qualities that include ambition, strong training skills, leadership skills, and those who transition into change well (“Five key traits,” 2013). Furthermore, understanding how culture ties into an organization and the influence that top-level managers have in organizations is very important.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Strategic management]
881 words (2.5 pages)
- Introduction Leadership is a very important concept in the area of nursing. Successful leaders can't achieve goals without inspired and motivated followers. Most people have observed nurses who've been placed in leadership positions but failed to capture the hearts and souls of those they lead (Feltner, Mitchell, Norris & Wolfle, 2008). In essence these types of leaders are very ineffective in what they do. In order to be a successful leader, one must possess certain characteristics that not only define who they are but inspire those who they lead.... [tags: Empathy, Excellence]
1286 words (3.7 pages)
- Strategic Program Management Worksheet IMPLEMENTING ORGANIZATIONAL INITIATIVES The purpose of this assignment is to begin the process of Problem Based Learning. In this step, you will be looking at one or more realistic situations and using them, in the context of this course, to identify the key concepts involved that you will need to understand in order to solve whatever problems you might encounter in those situations. Complete the table below by identifying at least five concepts that you will study from the text on the rEsource page in order to resolve the situations presented; list and briefly describe them in column A.... [tags: Strategic Management]
1677 words (4.8 pages)
- This paper will discuss three important elements of leadership discussed in Chapters Three and Four of the book “Resilient Leaders” (Dees, 2013). First, integrity is important because it is essential to gaining and maintaining the respect of partners, peers, and employees; thereby impacting the ultimate success of the business. Second, courage that is steered according to integrity is an important skill that enables business leaders to humbly face different types of fear and make difficult business decisions.... [tags: Management, Strategic management]
725 words (2.1 pages)
- Becoming a leader or a CEO in today’s world is no easy feat to accomplish no matter what gender you are. Working to become a leader, men and women are supposed to have different points of view on how to become a leader. Mainly, what are the different aspects of leadership characteristics based off of your own gender. Previous research on this topic has peaked my interest to really delve into the information behind gender based differences in the workplace. As of right now only 3-4% of CEOs in America are currently women (Sherwin).... [tags: Goal, Management, Gender, Leadership]
1457 words (4.2 pages)
- We often have a tendency to criticize our leaders or senior managers who are at the above level then we are based on their salaries, compensation packages and their benefits. To argue that statement, have we ever thought about why they are considered our leaders, why we do have to consider them our leaders or senior managers and how much time and effort they have invested in their career to get the position they are. Not all executives or managers are considered good leaders. Having traits like motivating all level of employees and managers, influencing how to be a good leader, managing people the correct and most ethical way, always inspiring with positive energy, and articulating a shared... [tags: Leadership, Management, Servant leadership]
1203 words (3.4 pages)
- This literature review examines a leader’s role in creating and fostering a diverse culture within an organization. Leaders have a responsibility to the people and the organization they serve to encourage their growth and enhance their skills and abilities. The research identifies qualities befitting of a leader competent in diversity management; one capable of implementing initiatives, training and outlining strategic goals to better an organization. Targeting leaders of this caliber is vital if an organization is to see the success of their diversity initiative realized.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Sociology, Organization]
1515 words (4.3 pages)
- HISTORICAL LEADER SYNTHESIS ESSAY – DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER If you analyze historical battles and observe everything that was done to gain an advantage, it is unlikely that a conservative and effective strategy was always implemented. There are many instances where success meant excessive sacrifice of resources, or even worse--human lives. General Dwight D. Eisenhower was not wasteful in his planning, and he embodied the characteristics of a visionary leader. In this essay, I will provide a brief history of General Eisenhower’s life.... [tags: election, thinking, planning, officer]
831 words (2.4 pages)
- MBA: Strategic Management Assignment Introduction Markets differ in a variety of ways including the degree of concentration and competitiveness, a fact which is reflected in the concept of ‘market structure’. Economists’ models link the structural characteristics of a market to the behaviour of firms in that market and subsequently to their performance. A key question therefore is how far a firm’s strategic decisions are shaped by the structure of the market in which it operates. You are required to undertake a detailed examination of the changing nature of the long-haul transatlantic airline market.... [tags: Strategy Management]
1983 words (5.7 pages)
- Leadership This short paper is about leadership and management. The initial part of this paper will explore the qualities of leadership and its affect on project management. The next section will investigate some of the CEO’s management styles and their comparable success rates within industry. The reflection of project management’s code of ethics affect on leadership in general concludes the research presentation. The writer concludes with his own summation of leadership. Leadership Effective leaders are rare.... [tags: Leading Leader Essays]
1238 words (3.5 pages)