Safety on the internet is very important it is a place where anything can happen, and if you’re not careful damage can happen in reality, such as identity theft, stolen banking information and physical harm.
Teenagers are most at risk when surfing on the internet because they use it more than anybody else on average; social websites are where you are most at danger for example my space, Twitter, Bebo and Facebook. People who are out to harm you in whatever way use these websites and pretend to be somebody they’re not, and by pretending to be your friend they may try and persuade you to give them your personal information. It is very important that you do not fall for this because they could be doing the same thing with up to 50 people at a time. You need to keep in mind that whatever you post on the internet stays on the internet, because virtual copies are made by various people and websites when you do. One thing you need to be careful with is posting images of yourself on the internet enables anyone to know what you look like also you must be careful of what’s in the background, for example, if you took a picture in front of your house you might be able to see the house number and street name. When joining a social website you should always look at what privacy settings there are, so you can block off any information that you don’t want people to see.
Instant messenger is almost the same as social websites but with a few differences such as, a person must have your email address first before they can contact you; the dangers are still the same. So make sure you only give out your email address to people you trust, Because it’s the main place ...
... middle of paper ...
...all of the above, most people should be able to keep safe on the internet but it must be kept in mind that it is very easy to fall into a trap set by somebody who has set out to harm you. It is also very important that if you do go to meet someone you met over the internet, that you meet in the middle of the day, in a public place, where there are lots of people and that you bring a friend along so that you keep safe at all times.
IT based research
Non IT research
Essential Computer Security
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Have you ever seen the television show on NBC Dateline To Catch a Predator. Well if you haven’t, Chris Hansen, the host of the show, has a set up to catch predators online who are trying to meet younger children and arrest predators for trying to seduce young children. This is just one case of why parents are becoming more worried for their children to be using the Internet. Parents strive to find ways to keep their children safe while using the Internet and there are several ways you can do that right at home by protecting your children, having the computer in a high traffic place, and blocking websites.... [tags: Internet]
889 words (2.5 pages)
- In today's society, many aspects of crime committed on a regular basis. Civilians take advantage of people all the time using online resources such as a fraudulent website requiring credit card information to get a free monthly trial. Other examples of cyber crimes are online chatting website, full of predators or websites needing a downloadable program that contains a hacking virus. Sadly, there are many cases of cyber crime all over the internet. The acts of cyber crimes are considered violent acts like any other.... [tags: Internet Crime, Cyber Crime Essays]
1424 words (4.1 pages)
- ... You should try to be safe everywhere you go, especially on the streets. Protecting yourself on the street isn’t that complicated, all you have to do is stay alert, for example map out a route that you walk often and familiarize yourself with it. Know where you are going and where the dangerous spots are on your route. Try to dress practical, like in sandals or flip flops, something that would be easy to run in. Try not to “Overload” and carry to much stuff that you don’t need, try to carry what is really essential, like a cellphone.... [tags: keeping safety in mind at all times]
551 words (1.6 pages)
- ... Catfishing occurs when an individual pretends to be someone they aren’t by creating phony identities to ensnare unsuspecting online users into a long distance relationship. While there are many things wrong with anonymity, it also has its perks. Users are able to state ideas or opinions that may not always be popular without suffering judgment from others. People are more likely to express their true selves online when they aren’t required to reveal their identity. This gives users a chance to share stories or their feelings while their identity is protected.... [tags: consequence, nonexistent, secrecy]
968 words (2.8 pages)
- Imagine a day when you would be in total control of creating your own TV channel lineup. Instead of subscribing to a service from a cable, satellite or phone company that might offer you hundreds of channels you'll never watch, you would be able to select what you want and watch it on your own schedule. That day might not be so far away. Slowly but surely, content that's broadcast over cable networks and through satellite providers is being distributed through the public Internet. News.context What's new: A lot of the technology is in place to deliver TV content via the Internet, where content providers could bypass cable and satellite services and deliver programming directly to viewers.... [tags: Television TV]
1488 words (4.3 pages)
- Privacy has always been an important value to Americans. The founding fathers valued it, and placed explicit protection of certain aspects of it in the Bill of Rights. But with the invasion of the internet, keeping privacy has become difficult, if not impossible. You have cookies collecting and storing data about you whenever you visit a site. You have browsers tracking the pages you visit. You have Google "scanning" your emails. You have "widgets" on sites that can see what sites you are visiting.... [tags: Hackers, Private, Information]
1232 words (3.5 pages)
- Identity theft is a major problem in the United States and is growing ever year. In 2003, identity theft cost business and consumers close to $53 billion and identities stolen from around 10 million Americans (Dinev 77). Identity theft is where someone can pretend to be someone else, and to make financial charges under the victim’s name, leaving all the troubles of fixing the victim’s financial troubles to the victim while the theft continues to steal until they either are caught or move on to another victim (Vacca 4).... [tags: Technology, Identity Theft ]
2106 words (6 pages)
- The Drawbacks of the Internet I thought I was playing it smart, keeping up with the trend, surfing the inernet. I've always been a bit wary of the 'World Wide Web'. Ok, so I can send an e-mail half way around the world in the blink of an eye, but whose reading it. What if I dare to send a message with the word 'bomb' or 'terrorist' in it. Will it be chased up by the FBI or MI5 who will track my e-mail, intercept snail-mail and tail me until they're sure I'm not plotting to blow up the Whitehouse.... [tags: Papers]
1305 words (3.7 pages)
- Editing The Internet Now a days it is common for there to be computers in every classroom. Some people consider this to be beneficial and others believe it to be detrimental. Having access to the internet is great for research and exploration the problem is that it is not always safe for children. This topic is not only important for teachers but for parents also since many children have internet access at home. I say that the internet is not always safe because students may accidentally stumble upon sites which contain pornography, violence, weapons, and other subjects that are inappropriate for them.... [tags: Cyberspace Children Essays]
2455 words (7 pages)
- Internet Fraud and Identity Theft The Internet is not just a medium for information; it is a tool for communication. Creating a new social sphere and environment, the Internet allows virtually anyone to be a participant. Chat rooms, discussion boards, instant messaging services and e-mail are all mediums that allow individuals to engage in communication. However, although the Internet is a public domain, individuals do not have to honestly represent themselves. Many individuals use false names and identities on the Internet.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
1192 words (3.4 pages)