When Millard writes about the morning James Garfield was shot, the notion of presidential personal security was practically unheard of. The politics of the time required that the president be available to the people and public at large. He wasn’t just the figurehead of a struggling government; he was the leader of the free people of the United States of America. President Garfield spoke to the people so that he could speak for the people. The idea had been put forth previously concerning protecting the president, but President Garfield was hesitant to surround himself with guards as he thought this would make him seem unapproachable to the general populace. Garfield was not unappreciative of personal security; he just saw it as unnecessary for himself. (Millard)
Sixteen years earlier, President Abraham Lincoln formed the Secret Service to combat the increasing problem of counterfeit money that was ruining a still fragile economy. The current economy was plagued by almost one third of its currency being counterfeit. In the 1800’s, currency was issued by individual states through local banks resulting in many different types of currency. This made it far easier for the nefarious types to counterfeit currency for their own personal gain. At the behest of the then Secretary of the Treasury Hugh McCulloch, President Lincoln formed the "Secret Service Division of the Department of the Treasury." For the next 35
years the Secret Service carried out its mission of anti-counterfeiting enforcement. The beginning mandate of the Secret Service did not include protection services at its inception. Primarily, the Service’s mission was investigation and interdiction in concert with the Department of t...
... middle of paper ...
...tected the Roman Emperor and his family, as well as provided security and administration for state sponsored events. Where the Secret Service is a federal law enforcement agency, the Praetorian Guard was more akin to a private army under the command of the Emperor. Much like the modern secret service, the Praetorian guard performed numerous duties not directly related to protecting the emperor. Providing public security at public events and festivals to the collection of taxes and tariffs throughout the empire are some examples of the alternate duties of the guard. One notable difference between the Praetorian Guard and the modern Secret Service is the Secret Service is not allowed to murder anyone the president takes a personal dislike to. The Praetorian Guard was well known to be the heavy hand used by the Emperor to enforce his edicts across the empire. (Bingham )
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- What is workplace violence and where does it come from. When you hear the words many peoples’ first thoughts are of coworker’s fist fighting and screaming at one another. These are good examples but there are other forms of workplace violence. Bullying, harassment and intimidation are also types of workplace violence. The violence doesn’t always come from coworker to coworker interactions. Customers can create workplace violence. Robbery is a perfect example of an outsider creating workplace violence.... [tags: Business Management ]
1458 words (4.2 pages)
- Keeping safe on the internet Introduction Safety on the internet is very important it is a place where anything can happen, and if you’re not careful damage can happen in reality, such as identity theft, stolen banking information and physical harm. Social sites Teenagers are most at risk when surfing on the internet because they use it more than anybody else on average; social websites are where you are most at danger for example my space, Twitter, Bebo and Facebook. People who are out to harm you in whatever way use these websites and pretend to be somebody they’re not, and by pretending to be your friend they may try and persuade you to give them your personal information.... [tags: Internet Safety]
984 words (2.8 pages)
- Our first encounter with Sabas is at the funeral of the musician that had died a natural death which was not common in that area. At this point there is no sign of Sabas’ wealth or his impertinence. In this section of the novel we are told that Sabas is the Godfather of the colonel’s son who is no more. “It was Sabas, the godfather of his dead son, the only leader of his party who had escaped political persecution and had continued to live in the town” [p.7]. In quote, Gabriel gives us some background information on Sabas’ professional life and states that he is a failed politician.... [tags: No One Writes to the Colonel, relationships, chara]
598 words (1.7 pages)
- Most people love animals. They can take a trip go to the zoo to look at various animals that come from many different parts of the world. Depending on the zoo you go to, you can find lions, monkeys, exotic birds, penguins and etc. A goldfish is usually recommended as a great first pet for a child that is looking for responsibility, because they are low maintenance and their life expectancy is short. An amusement park like SeaWorld, has whales, sea lions, penguins and many other water mammals at their parks for our entertainment.... [tags: Killer whale, Whale, Endangered species]
1511 words (4.3 pages)
- The inability of the nation’s lawmakers to negotiate the successful reduction of the deficit has resulted in across the board budget cuts, known as the sequester. The federally mandated sequestration, which required a 5 percent cut to a federal program, has devastating impacts across the public health continuum. Public health is an essential part of keeping Americans safe, and too often the efforts to promote and protect the community are taken for granted. Without the necessary resources to fulfill their duties public health agencies, state and local governments, universities, hospitals, and health centers are failing their obligation to the public.... [tags: Public health, Health, Health care]
1456 words (4.2 pages)
- Keeping the Community Safe by Having a Public Registry The American criminal justice system is designed to provide citizens with a way to pay the debt that was created by their crimes against our society. Americans believe that once that debt is paid by serving the sentence dictated by the courts, citizens who commit these crimes are free to re-enter society, continuing their lives as they see fit. However, some types of crimes are so detrimental to society that extra measures need to be taken after offenders serve their time to minimize the likelihood that they will victimize society again.... [tags: Sex offender, Human sexual behavior, Crime]
2336 words (6.7 pages)
- focus on early intervention this helps keeping children safe. As a Family worker, I have used these models for families as a family support strategy that aims to empower parents through enhancing their skills, knowledge and confidence. This approach prevents severe emotional, behavioral and developmental issues to children. This skill is transferable to social work because in order to support clients well being, safety, and that of others, it is important to address challenging behaviors when they first arise.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Critical social work]
1582 words (4.5 pages)
- A leader can be described as a person who gives direction, inspiration and cause to a group of people who are striving to achieve a common or similar goal (Eacott, 2011; Siraj-Blatchford & Manni, 2013). As there are many types of leaders within an early childhood education setting, such as director, room leader and educational leader, it is important to define and dissect what each role requires (Siraj-Blatchford & Manni, 2013). An educational leader is defined in the National Quality Framework (NQF), where they have support from other documentation and literature to identify what an educational leader is (Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority, 2014).... [tags: education,pedagogical documentation,leaders]
1606 words (4.6 pages)
- Mexico was once a destination where people dreamed of going to. Warm weather, sunny beaches and many different cultural experiences were everywhere. For either spring break or a nice place to retire to Mexico brought thousands of tourists every year, but many things have changed over the past few years. What was once a warm beautiful place has now turned into a war zone. Drugs, gangs, and mass murders have become an everyday problem.... [tags: Legal Issues, Illegal Drugs]
2028 words (5.8 pages)
- In a state of martial law one individual does not have much to say. This statement holds true in the novel, No One Writes to the Colonel, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. The author discusses the political climate of one man, the Colonel, who after fighting to create the government in power is being controlled by the bureaucracy. A corrupt government can ruin a man, sap his will, and drive him mindless with hunger; although times are hard the Colonel keeps his dignity and pride. The government, through the use of martial law, controls the people quite readily.... [tags: No One Writes to the Colonel Essays]
985 words (2.8 pages)
- Literary Analysis Of ' The Kugelmass Episode '
- Violence And Violence : An Umbrella Term For A Wide Variety Of Crimes
- Does Birth Order Affect Education?
- Biological, Genetic, And Pharmacology Factors That Affect The Body And The Nervous System
- Analysis Of The Movie ' The Five Heartbeats '
- A Study On The Philosophy Of The University State And Meeting With My Advisor For Selecting My Course