Are You Experienced was released in May 1967 in the UK on Track Records and in August 1967 on Reprise Records in the US. The record was produced by Chas Chandler and engineered by Eddie Kramer. Hendrix wrote all of the songs this time, with the exception of “Hey Joe.” The album was recorded in several studios including De Lane Lea, CBS, and Olympic Studios. The UK and US versions also had different track lists and album covers. “Red House,” “Can You See Me,” and “Remember” were omitted from the US version. The US edition comprised of “Hey Joe,” “The Wind Cries Mary,” and the iconic and arguably the most famous song “Purple Haze” (discogs.com).
Are You Experienced was an album consisting of the guitarist virtuoso Jimi Hendrix and his influence of jazz, rhythm and blues, rock, and psychedelic, all merged into one huge sound. Also present were bassist Noel Redding and drummer Mitch Mitchell. Some critics, such as Nik Cohn say that Hendrix was the star of the band and they could have thrown a band together with any other backing musicians, but many also believe that Are You Experienced could not have been accomplished without the prowess of Redding and Mitchell (Egan 73-74). Together, ...
... middle of paper ...
...4. Web. 05 Oct. 2011.
"Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Inductees." The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum | RockHall.com. Web. 05 Oct. 2011.
Jimi Hendrix: Live at Monterey. Dir. D.A. Pennebaker. Perf. Jimi Hendrix. Geffen Records, 2007. DVD.
"Authentic Hendrix - The Official Jimi Hendrix Online Store Home Accents | Shop the Authentic Hendrix - The Official Jimi Hendrix Online Store Official Store." Authentic Hendrix - The Official Jimi Hendrix Online Store | Shop the Authentic Hendrix - The Official Jimi Hendrix Online Store Official Store. Web. 05 Oct. 2011.
Goldstein, Hilary. "Rock Band's 2000th Song - Xbox 360 News at IGN." IGN Advertisement. 04 Oct. 2010. Web. 05 Oct. 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Jimi Hendrix, perhaps the best guitarist in rock history became the definition of rock music. In 1967, The Jimi Hendrix Experience shocked the nation with their first album; Are You Experienced. Hendrix had a short life due to drugs. When he was only 27 years old, he died while choking on his own vomit on his way to a hospital. In a few years, rock and roll changed a great deal and Jimi was the sole influence. Jimi Hendrix was born in Seattle, Washington on November 27, 1942. When he was a child he would play along with his R&B records whenever he could.... [tags: Music, Guitar, Rock Music]
624 words (1.8 pages)
- Jimi Hendrix Jimi Hendrix, possibly the greatest guitarist in rock history changed the sound of rock. In 1967 The Jimi Hendrix Experience rocked the nation with their first album Are You Experienced?. Hendrix had a short life because of drugs in 1970 when he was only 27 years old. In a few years, rock and roll changed a lot and Jimi’s guitar playing was a big influence. Jimi Hendrix was born in Seattle Washington on November 27, 1942. When he was just a kid he would play along with his R&B records whenever he could.... [tags: essays research papers]
363 words (1 pages)
- Jimi Hendrix, the greatest guitarist in rock history, revolutionized the sound of rock. In 1967, the Jimi Hendrix Experience rocked the nation with their first album, Are You Experienced?. Hendrix's life was cut short by the tragedy of drugs in 1970, when he was only twenty seven years old. In these three years the sound of rock changed greatly, and Hendrix’s guitar playing was a major influence. Jimi was born in Seattle, Washington on November 27, 1942. As a young boy, whenever the chance came, Jimi would try to play along with his R & B records.... [tags: essays research papers]
893 words (2.6 pages)
- Jimi Hendricks, an extraordinary guitarist who was born November 27, 1942, in Seattle, Washington. Hendrix was one of the most influential musicians in the music world. He took music places that no one could. Jimi Hendrix was one of the most exciting and creative guitar players ever. He mixed Blues and Rock & Roll together to create some of the utmost unique music ever played. While Hendricks was only famous for four years, the impact he left on the music industry would last a lifetime. Hendricks style was like no other musicians; he had shocking guitar techniques, such as playing with his teeth, behind his back, and without touching the strings, all were talents that surprised his audiences... [tags: notorious, influential US guitarists, musicians]
892 words (2.5 pages)
- The extraordinary performances, recording, and lyrics of James Marshall Hendrix have made him impossible to forget. This American rock music guitarist made a legendary mark not only in the history of rock 'n' roll but also on the pop culture as a whole (Ross 32). With unique techniques never seen before and blatant sex-related performances on stage, he became one of the most influential music figures of the 60s (Kamin). Hendrix was not born into stardom nor was it given to him by any means. He strived all throughout his life to be the very best.... [tags: Art]
2396 words (6.8 pages)
- Jimi Hendrix Jimi Hendrix is an American guitarist, singer, songwriter and producer who is widely considered to be the most important electric guitarist in the history of music. Although Hendrix is known for his outstanding ability to play the guitar, he is also a very famous name in Blues music. He played the acoustic guitar but is known for his outstanding ability to play the electric guitar. With songs such as Red House, Here My Train A Comin', and Born Under a Bad Sign, Hendrix is considered to be in the Chicago category and quickly made his way into the history of Blues music.... [tags: Biography Musician Guitarist]
1197 words (3.4 pages)
- Jimi Hendrix Jimi Hendrix once said "When the power of love over comes the love of power, the world will finally find peace". Im here to day to tell you of his journey to try and make that clear to every 1 else. Yes, Jimi did more than just play guitar. This is the love and times of Mr. James Marshall Hendrix. James Marshall Hendrix was born on November 27, 1942 in Seattle Washington. James faced a somewhat difficult childhood as he was faced with many obstacles. His father quickly divorced his alcoholic mother who later died in 1958.... [tags: Biography]
755 words (2.2 pages)
- On November 27, 1942, in Seattle, Washington a later-to-be-known legend was born as James Marshall. This future guitar master went by the name of Jimi, Jimi Hendrix. His childhood was not very fortunate, however, he did indulge himself in one particular way: Jimi loved to play the guitar. Jimi could never afford to take lessons so he taught himself. At first he played an old acoustic guitar, and later a cheap Silvertone electric. Both of these guitars were both strung for a lefty on a right-handed guitar, one of the defining Hendrix traits.... [tags: essays research papers]
1493 words (4.3 pages)
- Jimi Hendrix: Reflections of the Man Through the Development of His Albums James McGuire UWC 4, Hampton November 4, 1996 On November 27, 1942,Jimi Hendrix was born as John Allen Hendrix in Washington at Seattle General Hospital. His childhood was not a privileged one, however, he did indulge himself in one particular way: Jimi loved to play the guitar. At first he played an old acoustic, and later a cheap Silvertone electric, which were both strung for a lefty on a right-handed guitar, one of the defining Hendrix traits (Murray 34- 5) .... [tags: essays research papers]
3428 words (9.8 pages)
- The Jimi Hendrix Experience released its first album in early 1967. Popular music had been leaning towards psychedelics for a couple years already and Are You Experienced. came out at about the same time as the Beatles' Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Are You Experienced. far exceeded the Beatles' triumph in complexity, capturing the essence of the late 1960's culture. Naturally the newer band did not share the immediate success of the Beatles. But its staying power has been testified to by several generations.... [tags: essays research papers]
785 words (2.2 pages)