Unquestionably one of the most influential musical pioneers of the last half-century, James Brown, often known as “The Godfather of Soul”, laid a musical foundation that many artists were influenced by. Ranging from Mick Jagger to Afrika Bambaataa to Jay Z, Brown’s musical characteristics can be seen in various artists. How did the music of Michael Jackson demonstrate the influence of James Brown?
“The Godfather of Soul”, better known as James Brown grew to be one of the most influential artists in Michael Jackson’s life. As a child Michael Jackson was intrigued by Brown’s flamboyant performances on stage and would soon begin to implement them into his own stage acts. By the age of five Michael Jackson was already sealed into a world of show business by his father, Joseph Jackson. Deprived of a childhood at a very young age, Michael and his siblings began a family-musical group called “The Jackson 5.” They began playing the soul hits they listened to on the radio all across the country. The band toured the Midwest extensively from 1966 to 1968, frequently performing at clubs and bars. In 1966, they won a major local talent show with renditions of Motown hits and a cover of “I Feel Good (I Got You)” by James Brown. It wasn’t until July 23, 1968 where they received major recognition by Motown owner, Berry Gordy. Gordy was reluctant to sign the “Jackson 5” but after their audition performance of the song “I Got the Feelin”, by James Brown, he changed his mind. In March 1969, “The Jackson 5”, were officially signed into Motown records. This marked a historical point in Michael Jackson’s life where his musical influences from James Brown would be noticed. Song’s from Michael Jackson that s...
... middle of paper ...
...Matt Forger: the secrets of Bad 25 (EN). Retrieved December 8, 2013. http://mjdatabank.com/mjjnews/wordpress/2012/10/09/chicago-1945-was-done-prior-to-al-capone-matt-forger-the-secrets-of-bad-25-en/
• 100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time. Rollingstone.com. Retrieved December 8,2013http://web.archive.org/web/20080530224757/www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/20947527/page/33
• James Brown Saves Boston After MLK’s Assassination, Calls or Peace Across America (1968). Openculture.com. November 4, 2013. http://www.openculture.com/2013/11/james-brown-saves-boston-after-mlks-assassination.html
• Beat It (4:18) last.fm. Retrieved December 8, 2013. http://www.last.fm/music/Michael+Jackson/_/Beat+It
• Song Analysis Michael Jackson-Beat It. StudyMode.com Retrieved December 8,2013.http://www.studymode.com/essays/Song-Analysis-Micheal-Jackson-Beat-It-994580.html
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Curatorial Project: James Brown in Michael Jackson’s Life 1. Topic Question: Unquestionably one of the most influential musical pioneers of the last half-century, James Brown, often known as “The Godfather of Soul”, laid a musical foundation that many artists were influenced by. Ranging from Mick Jagger to Afrika Bambaataa to Jay Z, Brown’s musical characteristics can be seen in various artists. How did the music of Michael Jackson demonstrate the influence of James Brown. 2. Introduction: “The Godfather of Soul”, better known as James Brown grew to be one of the most influential artists in Michael Jackson’s life.... [tags: artist, michael jackson, lyrics]
1903 words (5.4 pages)
- Born to Joseph and Katherine Jackson, MIchael was born on August 29, 1958 in Gary, Indiana. He was the youngest sibling out of 5 but that did not stop his talent from shining through. In the early 1960’s, Michael’s father put together a music group using his sons, which later became known as the Jackson 5 (“Michael Jackson Biography”). Even from an early age, Michael was able to touch the lives of many people. At a young age, Michael became the lead singer of the Jackson 5 because of his voice range and depth.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, Katherine Jackson]
778 words (2.2 pages)
- An icon for decades, legend for an eternity, Michael Jackson 's impact on the world continues to thrive as a silhouette amongst pop culture. His music has influenced many people to "Xscape" from the deceptions of all the "Dirty Diana[s]." Yet, his talent has encouraged people to "Scream" through all the "Thriller[s]" they receive as his stardom illuminates the stage as the "Smooth Criminal" of performances. His songs vary from selections that you can "Jam" to, those that promote tough love and adornment, while some are advocates for equality.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, Diana Ross]
1603 words (4.6 pages)
- Outlier. An outlier is someone who is not considered to be a normal person within society. They have qualities that most people do not obtain. They are the most successful of individuals and many aspire to be them. Michael Jackson is the epitome of what I believe is a true outlier. In his best-selling novel, Malcolm Gladwell stated that we tend to spend more time looking at individuals success rather than looking at things that ultimately contributed to that success, such as their family, birthplace, and even birth date.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, Jackson family]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- Michael Joseph Jackson was and still is seen as the biggest popstar of the 20th century and is also considered the most popular recording artist of all time. A person could identify his voice as soon as they heard it. He had incredible dance moves, musical adaptability, and had a great deal of star power. Jackson was born August 29, 1958 in Gary, Indiana to Katherine Jackson and Joseph Jackson who was a guitarist but had to put his musical ambitions to the side to care for his large family. Michael was a part of a group known as the Jackson 5 just at the age of five, which was made up of four of his older brothers.... [tags: Michael Jackson, Billie Jean, The Jackson 5]
1212 words (3.5 pages)
- “The best education you can get is to watch the masters at work.” Michael Jackson was the biggest pop star ever. He had become a superstar since he was little. He had many great songs throughout his career. He had become an instant star. Michael Jackson was born on August 29, 1958 in Gary, Indiana. He was born into an African American working class family. His mom and dad were Katherine and Joseph Jackson. Joseph put aside his music to provide for the family. He knew his sons had talents so he molded them into a singing group in the early 1960’s.... [tags: music, Jackson 5, moonwalk, Thriller]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- Biography of Michael Jackson *Works Cited Not Included Artists have a special communion with the creative forces of the universe. Regardless of the medium of expression used, artists utilize creative energies to produce works of art, beauty and power for humanity to witness. This is evident in paintings, sculptures, films and other forms, but it is universally expressed and appreciated through music and dance. When an artist focuses on both of these forms, the rhythm flows from his heart to the rest of his body until he becomes the rhythm itself.... [tags: Papers]
1370 words (3.9 pages)
- Michael Jackson: Man In The Mirror Michael Jackson is arguably the most well know celebrity figure in the world today. Michael Joseph Jackson was born in August 1958, in Gary, Indiana. Jackson has spent almost his entire life as a public performer. He was a member of the Jackson Five at the age of four, soon becoming the group's lead vocalist and front man. Onstage, he modeled his dance moves and vocal styling on James Brown, and portrayed an absolute self-confidence on stage that belied his shy, private personality.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1436 words (4.1 pages)
- Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be in the music business, from birth. This is the life of the Jackson family. The Family consists of nine children, Joe, and Katherine. Father, Joeseph Jackson was born in Arkansas in 1929 and raised in Tennessee. His own father, a Lutheran, was a stern schoolteacher, and had strict discipline. Joseph was a teenager when his parents divorced. Katherine Jackson was her husband's complete opposite in temperament. Katherine was born in 1930 and grew up in Alabama.... [tags: Jackson Michael Family Music]
1428 words (4.1 pages)
- “Michael Jordan is the best ever. There shouldn’t be any question in anyone’s mind. There are no ifs, ands or buts about it. He broke the mold. There is no one remotely close to him, Nate Thurmond says. Look at all the finals, he always carried his team. He willed them to another title each year. His greatness was well shown off and off the court. He follows up by saying it’s his mental approach more so than his physical talent. He’s been on top so long and he still goes out and does it every night (Thurmond, 61).'; He was the best player in the league for years and everyone respected his talent.... [tags: essays research papers]
1176 words (3.4 pages)