Students have forever battled with the competition of acceptance into institutions of higher education. With the financially privileged and academically gifted having first and sometimes sole choice of the best schools in the nation, there is a need to level the playing field and broaden access. The rising costs of college tuition should be arrested through the reallocation of institutional spending toward instruction, community college access, debt assistance, and increased scholarship opportunity because the continually increasing costs create a barrier for the bright minds who are disadvantaged and cannot access education. With more students in the collegiate system, our nation will have the ability to develop a more thoroughly ed...
... middle of paper ...
... yet most of this extra spending is being “allocated on non-instructional activities” (58). Schools are more concerned with providing an appealing and competitive atmosphere than truly fostering education. The most important budget share of institutional spending is the share for actual education as it relates to the students. Shown in figure eight of Donna M. Desrochers and Jane V. Wellman’s report, Trends in College Spending 1999-2009. Where Does the Money Come from? Where Does It Go? What Does It Buy? A Report of the Delta Cost Project, total spending has grown at a much faster rate than spending on education alone (24). This means that a portion of the extra dollars you pay is being allocated for the institution’s private use. Beyond increased spending for non-instructional activities misallocation continues deeper into the share for education related activities.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The concerns is drastic, the issue of college cost is croshal in the application of a higher education in the United States. Whether the reasoning of having a higher education is to improve your life status, getting more money, or just making your parents proud. Whatever the reason, higher education is unaffordable for the majority of middle class citizens in the United States. So, having a new president, such as President-elect Donald J. Trump, it 's important to know and consider his administration 's plans on the issue of college cost before high education an option in the upcoming years.... [tags: Higher education, High school, College]
1233 words (3.5 pages)
- Every March, 68 teams, 1020 players, millions of fans, and hundreds of millions brackets get ready for what is the biggest sporting event every year. The NCAA March Madness Tournament generates billions in revenue that goes to the NCAA, sponsors, TV deals, officials, workers, athletic directors, conference commissioners, and basically everybody but the actual revenue-generating workforce. Ever since the NCAA was founded in 1906, it has always maintained that its student-athletes are amateurs within their respected sports.... [tags: Sports, NCAA]
2138 words (6.1 pages)
- Imagine working for a company for 12 years and you are faced once again with mandatory reductions in workforce. You are an Information Technology Professional and are being measured against your peers, most of whom hold Bachelor Degrees. You are one of the few on your team that does not possess a college degree. Like me, many are placed in this same position in today’s world. We are the unprepared, not armed with ammunition to endure the scrutiny of our qualifications; relying solely on performance.... [tags: The Importance of Education]
988 words (2.8 pages)
- The cost of college is becoming an issue for most college students. It is no secret that a college education is expensive, and it just keeps rising. With the cost of college becoming outrageous and students are leaving college students with high amounts of debt. Some students can’t even afford college. That’s something that shouldn’t be happening. Colleges need to lower their tuition for college students. One college in mind is Lourdes University. Lourdes University is a small private institution, with a little over 1,500 students who are currently enrolled in the 2015 fall semester.... [tags: University, Higher education, Education, College]
709 words (2 pages)
- Cover Letter I received fantastic peer feedback on the rough draft of my essay. One of the overwhelming topics of the feedback was the validity of the topic I chose. All of my peers were interested in the validity, cost, and value of a modern college education and found my thesis statement and support on point. One of the problems noticed was my lack of support for my claim that Christian universities provide a better education than the alternative. I have provided an example supporting my claim that Christian Universities provide a better education than other colleges.... [tags: University, College, Higher education]
1369 words (3.9 pages)
- A significant percentage of college students spend their time on campus with a lot of stress. This is due to a tight schedule that requires them to balances class time, assignments, tests, projects and extra curriculum activities. Other students are attached to the corporate world notably adult education offered in our campus. The working lot fined it challenging to meet extra workload in their courses. The final exams have a difficult feeling for the candidates due to anxiety of passing. Cheating has become a modern trend in college life with 32% of students admitting that they have practices unethical conducts in their college life.... [tags: College Students, Education, College Costs]
1037 words (3 pages)
- The cost of college is becoming an issue for most college students. It is no secret that a college education is expensive, and it just keeps rising. With the cost of college becoming outrageous, students are leaving college with high amounts of debt. Some students can’t even afford college. That’s something that shouldn’t be happening. Colleges need to lower their tuition for college students. One college in mind is Lourdes University. Lourdes University is a small private institution, with a little over 1,500 students who are currently enrolled in the 2015 fall semester.... [tags: University, Higher education, Education]
1401 words (4 pages)
- The Real Cost of a College Education Back in the day, a student could receive a decent college education without breaking the bank. They were able to just go in, learn, get a degree, and go about their lives doing what they loved. Suzy is currently enrolled in a public university, and is studying to be a veterinarian. When she started school, she had to take out a loan because she did not possess the amount of money in her bank account needed to pay for a semester of school. Three semesters in, her tuition rises to almost double what it was previously.... [tags: University, College, High school, College tuition]
1572 words (4.5 pages)
- Discussing the Cost of a College Education In a world where money has become the most important factor, it is critical that the cost of higher education is talked about publicly. In America, the cost to attend a public four-year college is outstanding, the numbers only growing when talking about a private college. A shocking number of students are left coming out of college with no money and thousands of dollars in debt. This epidemic requires change immediately. When the time comes for students to start their search for their ideal college, many parents of students are surprised to discover the high cost of attending a university.... [tags: Higher education, University, College]
1666 words (4.8 pages)
- The steep cost of college is one of several factors barring many students from going. Many people support this claim with some adding that there are other socio-economic factors that also contribute to this issue. A few people think that college is not that expensive and should be viewed as an investment. Either way, some students are still struggling to pay for their college education. A practical position that is commonly overlooked that addresses this problem is early exposure to college before high school.... [tags: High school, College, Secondary education]
1522 words (4.3 pages)
- Management And Supervision Of Human Resource Management
- Shootings, Violence, And Violence
- The Legal Age For Drinking Alcohol Should Stay The Same
- Inside Amazon : Wrestling Ideas Of A Bruising Workplace By Jodi Kantor And David Streitfeld
- Recovery Oriented Services For Support Recovery
- The Testing Of Pcr Assay