Circumcision is the surgical removal of the foreskin, the tissue covering the head (glans) of the penis. The practice of circumcision has been found to have been recorded as hieroglyphics. Religion is a huge factor for infant circumcision. The Jewish believe that all male infants are to be circumcised on the 8th day of life. Circumcision is such an important tradition to the Jewish religion that a circumcision can be performed on a Sunday, or any other Jewish holiday, which is contradictory to the Jewish belief that no blood is to be drawn on these sacred days. The Jewish religion practice circumcision with such importance because it is mentioned in many bible verses such as Genesis 17:9-14. “Then God said to Abraham, as for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come. This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised. You are to undergo circumcision, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and you. For the generations to come every male among you who is eight days old must be circumcised, including those born in your household or bought with money from a foreigner—those who are not your offspring. Whether born in your h...
... middle of paper ...
...lt of the reactions.
A bill titled the Male Genital Mutilation Bill has been submitted to Congress several times in the past decade, as recently as January 2014, trying to make it illegal to circumcise any child under the age of 18, without being medically necessary. The bill goes as far as to suggest that any parent that vacations, outside of the United States, and has their child circumcised during this period, should be fined and put thrown in jail for up to 14 years. In the United States, the people have a right to freedom of religion, and a freedom to make parental decisions for their children. The proposal of this Bill is suggesting taking away both of those basic human rights. That along with all the studies showing health benefits of circumcision during infancy, and the beneficial uses of the foreskin has made this writer declare oneself as pro-circumcision.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Infant Circumcision: Can they really feel it. As an American living in the twentieth century, I can state with certainty that one of the biggest things we pride ourselves on is our technological superiority and advances in healthcare. That is why I was so shocked to learn that most infants who receive circumcisions in the United States go under the knife with no anesthesia of any kind. The explanation for this, although archaic, is understandable from a medical standpoint. The main reason that it took so long for someone to test these theories is because there are very rarely any complications with infant circumcisions, so the medical community looked at the problem with the attitude of “i... [tags: essays research papers fc]
869 words (2.5 pages)
- Brit milah is a Jewish religious ceremony where a newborn male is circumcised and it is performed eight days after a male baby is born. It is customary for a brit milah to be held in a synagogue or in the house of the new born child(“Circumcision in Judaism”). This is the first mitzvah that is performed on a Jewish baby boy. This mitzvah connects the child to G-d and demonstrates that we all believe in one G-d(Ibid). In addition, this is proven to be a mitzvah because one is fulfilling G-d’s commandments that a Jewish male’s body must be physically different from gentiles(Ibid).... [tags: jewish religious ceremony, circumcision]
898 words (2.6 pages)
- The lack of sexual arousal Erection of the Clitoris is a psychological sign of sexual arousal. During erection the shaft of the clitoris becomes firmer, but the glans remains soft. The reason for this is that the shaft surrounds by a layer of tough connective tissue that restricts its expansion, whereas the glans is free to expand LaVay & Baldwin 2012. Usually, the glans of the clitoris is visible in the nonaroused (flaccid) state, but it may disappear under the clitoral hood during erection or with increasing sexual arousal, so sexual stimulation of the clitoris may occur through the hood rather than directly on the clitoral glans (or shaft).... [tags: Circumcision, Penis, Menstrual cycle, Glans penis]
1053 words (3 pages)
- Circumcision is a cultural issue because it has always been about the culture surrounding the medical procedure, rather than the medical benefits themselves. Circumcision has been a religious practice in many different cultures, ranging from Africa to the Middle East, and to Asia. While prevalent in both Jewish and Muslim societies, the earliest known documentation of circumcision comes from Egyptian hieroglyphics discovered dating back to 2300 BC. While the reason behind circumcision is currently unknown, many theories exist as to attempt to explain it origins.... [tags: Circumcision, Female genital cutting, Sociology]
860 words (2.5 pages)
- It is estimated that about 100 million women are circumcised (Toubia 1994,712). Female Circumcision or Female Genital Cutting or Female Genital Mutilation as it is also known is a very important issue that deserves much attention and understanding. Female Circumcision is closely related to women’s sexuality and reproductive role, which is why it has strong cultural significance to those that have the procedure done (Toubia 1994,712). The practice is done in a variety of cultural and ethnic groups (Toubia 1994,712).... [tags: women circumcision, females]
890 words (2.5 pages)
- According to a published report in the August 16th 2010 edition of the New York Time’s parents are choosing less and less to circumcise their new born sons. The article states instances of circumcision have declined “to just 32.5 percent in 2009 from 56 percent in 2006. The numbers are based on calculations by SDI Health, a company in Plymouth Meeting, Pa. that analyzes health care data”. Why are so many deciding to not have the elective procedure even though the rate of complication is extraordinarily low.... [tags: Medical Research]
1452 words (4.1 pages)
- Circumcision: Who’s Choice Is It. “Do you see that right there?” the ultrasound technician says. The soon-to-be parents look up at the screen and they both know immediately what it means. Adding a new baby is one of the happiest things any family can do. These days hearing “it’s a boy!” usually brings with it the discussion of infant circumcision. The decision to circumcise a male child within a month of birth, commonly referred to as a neonatal circumcision is a medical, religious, social and ethical one.... [tags: Circumcision, Penis, Foreskin, Phimosis]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- Female circumcision is a horrifying procedure that can be defined as the removal of the clitoris on the body of a female. The surgery is often accompanied by ceremonies intended to honor and welcome the girls into their communities. It can be observed in parts of Northern Africa and Southern Arabia where many girls undergo ritual surgery involving removal of parts of their external genitalia. About eighty million living women have had this surgery, and an additional four or five million girls undergo it each year (Kouba and Muasher).... [tags: Female Circumcision Culture Essays]
1742 words (5 pages)
- To be or not To Be. “Push. Push, I can see it crowning. Don’t stop keep pushing.” The doctor says in a deep but calming voice. “I can see it, I can see it. Here it comes!” says John with tears of excitement in his eyes, as he looks at his beautiful wife Nechelle, who is about to give birth to their first child, will it be a boy or a girl he wonders. “I see its head, one more push here it comes Oh my god it’s here, it’s a boy Yes it’s a boy. We will name him John Jr.” John shows all the signs of a man who is completely excited about having a newborn son, but the truth is that in the back of his mind there is question, a dark scary question, that John still has no answer to.... [tags: essays research papers]
1076 words (3.1 pages)
- Neonatal circumcision is one of the most often executed surgeries in the United States. (1:130) In my clinical practice thus far, the question whether to circumcise male neonates or not is frequently asked in the postpartum period. Midwives play an important role in providing informed choice discussions for their clients, it is thus our role to present the research evidence available in order to help women make the right choice for them and their families. This paper aims to describe the different incentives of male circumcision and the benefits and risks involved.... [tags: Health, Neonatal Circumcision]
905 words (2.6 pages)