The plant Tinaspora crispa (Family Menispermaceae) occupies a very important place in the field of medicinal plants and is widely used as a traditional medicine. Tinaspora crispa (locally named “brotowali” in Indonesia) is a small herb which grows widely in temperate and tropical part of Asia. More specifically, the plant is widely found in tropical and subtropical Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, India, China, and Vietnam. The plant is also known by its numerous synonyms, viz., Menispermum crispum Linn., Tinaspora cordifolia F. Vill., Tinaspora tuberculata, and Tinaspora rumphii (Mohammed et al. 2012; Elfita et al. 2013).
It is widely used in the traditional medicinal practice of peoples living in Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand to treat ailments like fever, jaundice, hyperglycemia, wounds, intestinal worms and skin infections. Moreover, T. crispa is also used to treat tooth and stomach ache, coughs, asthma and pleurisy. In several studies, T. c...
... middle of paper ...
... 500 MHz (1H) and 125 MHz (13C) on JEOL JNM ECA-500 spectrometer).
Isolation, Purification, and Extraction of Fungal Strains.
Two fungi were isolated from the roots of brotowali The strains were identified as Trichoderma sp. and Aspergillus sp. by the Sekolah Ilmu dan Teknologi Hayati, Institut Teknologi Bandung. The broth culture was filtered to separate the filtrate and mycelia and extracted twice by partition with an equal volume of ethyl acetate. The organic solvent was evaporated to dry under vacuum to yield 6.2 g of crude extract. All comparative Thin Layer Chomatograpic (TLC) analyses, developed in the following solvents: n-hexane-EtOAc (5:5 v/v); n-hexane-acetone (6:4); and n-hexane-chloroform (3:7), showed two major compounds. The isolation of these two lactones from ethyl acetate extract of Trichoderma sp from brotowali is described in Figure 1.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Research design can be reflected in the structure of exploration – this type of research gives the base to the design of the project. It holds the project together. We regularly depict a configuration utilizing a compact documentation that empowers us to abridge a perplexing outline structure effectively (Trochim, 2006). In Weeks 2 and 3, we discussed experimental designs and quasi-experimental design. An experimental design is a study in which the specialist controls the level of some independent variable and after that processes the result.... [tags: Scientific method, Experimental design]
1638 words (4.7 pages)
- Introduction In order to safely deliver competent care, a nurse must be armed with all of the pertinent information about a patient. Breakdowns in communication have been known to cause adverse and sentinel events, making it extremely important for nurses to pass on relevant information at shift change in a timely manner. Although no known best practice currently exists for communication during patient handovers, various strategies have been implemented and studied. One strategy to attempt to improve the quality and delivery of end of shift report in a timely manner includes the employment of a standardized template to complement verbal patient handovers.... [tags: Patient, Health care provider, Health care]
1549 words (4.4 pages)
- Inside the majority of American households rest the unlimited territory of the internet. The unlimited and always advancing possibilities have unlocked powerful new tools in communication and socialization. Tools such as: long distance visual communication, international circulation of personal thoughts, and massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPG) have all led to a closer but more distant community of people. The positive side can attribute to the fact that the younger generation seems more in tune with their international counterparts.... [tags: Internet Technology and Social Isolation]
1232 words (3.5 pages)
- Amendola, K., Weisburd, D., Hamilton, E., Jones, G., & Slipka, M. (2011). An experimental study of compressed work schedules in policing: advantages and disadvantages of various shift lengths. Journal Of Experimental Criminology, 7(4), 407-442. The main point of the article was to discuss the impacts of shift duration on performance, health, safety, quality of life, sleep, fatigue, alertness, off-duty employment, and overtime in the police field. The three shifts that the study looked at were the 8-hour, 10-hour, and 12-hour.... [tags: Police, Criminal justice, Crime, Constable]
1552 words (4.4 pages)
- This experimental study will have two groups of participants. Participants will need to be professionally diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder and have had persistent symptoms for a period of at least 6 months before the study takes place. Also, participants must be between the ages of 6 and 15 at the time that the study takes place. There will be a total of 100 participants. Since, there was no found standard treatment method used to treat patients with ODD, only a waitlist group and DBT group will be used.... [tags: Emotion, Psychology, Psychotherapy]
802 words (2.3 pages)
- Introduction “Maximin design maximizes either the minimum efficiency, or the minimum relative efficiency of the design relative to the optimal design, over a range of plausible parameter values, by choosing the design with the highest minimum” (van Breukelen, 2013, p. 154). A project worthy of research requires a logical design with strongly articulated elements, appropriate representative populations, and implemented controls to produce conclusive results to support theories, hypothesis, and the proposed research questions.... [tags: experiments, validity, research, control]
2206 words (6.3 pages)
- Experimental Vaccines As the quote by Tim Hansel states “Life becomes precious and more special to us when we look for the little everyday miracles and get excited about the privileges of simply being human”. The gift of everyday life is something everyone should cherish because people will never know when it will be their last day on earth. People use medicine as a way to live their everyday lives. In today’s society, medication through vaccines is the most used method of distributing medicine.... [tags: Influenza vaccine, Influenza, Vaccine, Vaccination]
1540 words (4.4 pages)
- Experimental designs Experimental designs are viewed as the most accurate, and most demanding of research designs, requiring strict attention to rules and procedures. Researchers use these research designs to manipulate and control testing procedures as a way to understand a cause and effect relationship. Commonly, independent variables are manipulated to judge or decide their effect on a dependent variable (Trochim & Donnelly, 2008). In order for an experiment to be considered a true experimental design, the design must fit specific criteria.... [tags: Research Methodology]
689 words (2 pages)
- Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Design There are basically two main categories of measuring variables with a sample of participants or subjects: experimental and quasi-experimental. According to (Hopkins, 2008), research studies can be carried out using body tissues, cells, animals or humans. The researcher is looking for a relationship between the variables, and this can be accomplished using statistics, relative frequencies, and/or correlations (Hopkins, 2008). One can accomplish this by simply observing without influencing, manipulating, or controlling the environment or interaction.... [tags: Research Analysis ]
1945 words (5.6 pages)
- Abstract Abstract: Strong evidence was found that horizontal gene transfer occured between two fungal species. Genetic sequencing and compartive genomics, with specific attention to a loci containing the ToxA gene, showed that the two loci on Stagonospora nodorum and Pyrenophera tritici-repentis species are nearly identical and could not be derived from inheritance from a common ancestor. This gene transfer resulted in increased virulence of the P. tritici-repentis wheat pathogen sometime in the 1940's.... [tags: Biology Fungi Genetics Genomics]
3330 words (9.5 pages)