If a plant based diet has all the nutrients an omnivore diet has, why are we still eating meat? Many say that it’s easy to be deficient in certain vitamins and minerals, but a well-planned vegetarian diet can provide all the nutrients and more. Vegetarianism not only is beneficial to your health, but to the environment too.
Vegetarianism is a lifestyle where you cut out all meat and fish from your diet, but still consume milk (lacto), eggs (ovo), or both (lacto-ovo). It’s commonly confused with pescatarianism, where you still eat fish, but no red meat or poultry. Like pescatarians, pollotariansVeganism, is where you don’t consume any animal products (meat, poultry, fish, and dairy.) Flexitarians eat a mostly plant-based diet, but occasionally eat meat or fish. (Craig).
Modern vegetarianism dates back to Ancient Greece. Pythagoras, a mathematician, advocated vegetarianism. During that time, a meatless diet was known as the “Pythagoras Diet”. In the 1800s, vegetarianism started to become a popular term. The demand for meat began to rise in the 1950s because of post war prosperity. Because of the little grassland left to support the rising livestock herds, farmers began using grain and soy, rather than pasture grasses. In the 1960s, soy bean production in the U.S. tripled that of China. Some well-known vegetarians include, Russel Brand, Paul McCartney, Ellen DeGeneres, Mohandas Gandhi, and Leonardo da Vinci (procon.org).
People who are against vegetarianism believe that vegetarians don’t get enough nutrients in their diet. Vegetarians and vegans could easily become deficient in vitamin B12, iron, zinc, calcium, and the fatty acids EPA & DHA, and vitamins A & D that are fat-soluble. Vitamin B12 deficiency is the most common among...
... middle of paper ...
...orld’s fresh water. (Walsh) It takes about 2,500 gallons of water to produce one pound of beef, and about 600 gallons for one pound of chicken. For tofu, it takes only 220 gallons and 180 gallons to produce a pound of wheat flour. More than 10 pounds of plant protein are used to produce one pound of beef protein. If the plant protein was used to feed people instead of animals, more food would be available to 925 million people which would help alleviate would hunger (procon.com).
Vegetarianism not only is beneficial for your health and the environment, it helps reduce the amount of animal abuse by not supporting factory farms, and can help alleviate world hunger. People still consume meat for various reasons, whether it be cultural, or for taste. If we were to go vegetarian, or at least limit our consumption of meat, it would make an incredible impact on the world.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Vegetarianism “Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet”, as Albert Einstein once admitted. By definition, vegetarianism is the belief in and practice of eating foods obtained exclusively from the vegetable kingdom, and hence of abstaining from meat and other animal foods (Vegetarianism). Vegetarianism originated in 1809 near Manchester, England among members of the Bible Christian Church. This is also an ancient custom that long existed among Buddhists that believed all animal life was sacred.... [tags: Meat, Nutrition, Vegetarianism]
1618 words (4.6 pages)
- What are the most important in your life. That is healthy. So learning how to eat healthy is one of the most important things to achieve everyone’s goal. We normally be advised to follow a healthy diet if you want a good and healthy for your body. However, what is a healthy diet. It was so disturbed by a lot of people. Nowadays many scientists have shown many research about eating healthy. Meat-eaters and vegetarians are becoming a popular augment topic in our society. We usually eat 3 times a day, and at least one meal we consume meat.... [tags: Nutrition, Atherosclerosis, Meat, Vegetarianism]
1427 words (4.1 pages)
- Many people strive to be healthy. Following a vegetarian diet is healthy. Therefore, people should live a vegetarian lifestyle. The vegetarian lifestyle is quite easy to maintain if one starts by just cutting out red meats from the diet, and then progress into chicken, and finally fish. This is the easiest way to become vegetarian, as you are stopping step by step instead of all at once. A majority of vegetarian diets have several easy to prepare meals and are fairly easy to follow. Countless restaurants serve meatless dishes, and salads are almost always available.... [tags: Meat, Nutrition, Vegetarianism, Veganism]
938 words (2.7 pages)
- Many Americans are eating unhealthy diets in the typical American style characterized by lack of moderation. This average diet is defined by high contents of red meat and other fatty foods. Eating these types of food, and the following factor of being overweight, can lead to heart disease and other health problems. A vegetarian lifestyle, on the other hand, limits the intake of meat and other fatty animal products and is known to confer a wide range of health benefits. However, there are many different types of vegetarianism.... [tags: Healthy Lifestyle Essay]
1250 words (3.6 pages)
- I. Thesis & Definition The purpose of this paper is to investigate the trend of vegetarianism and its steady increase in popularity in the United States, the possible causes behind the existence of this trend, its effects on our general society and the practicing population, and finally, the future of vegetarianism. For the purpose of this paper vegetarianism is described as a plant-based diet (fruits, vegetables, etc), though the most important factor being the total exclusion of meat, not including fish for most practitioners.... [tags: Vegetarianism Research Paper]
2224 words (6.4 pages)
- I always like to attend weddings, but I am hardly able to do it. The reason for my refusals is that I am a vegetarian, and many weddings do not serve vegetarian foods. However, Michele persuaded me to go to her wedding last week, so I decided to go with an assumption that I would have an empty stomach at the wedding. Surprisingly, I was seated at a table, which later was filled with about fifteen people, and we were served quinoa and spring rolls, two of my favorite vegetarian foods. It became the best wedding meal I have ever had.... [tags: Meat, Veganism, Vegetarianism, Nutrition]
886 words (2.5 pages)
- Imagine puppies, cute innocent puppies all of different breeds and sizes. Now, imagine seventy puppies all cramped together in the same small cage. A worker comes in and beats any puppies that are not fully corporative, this probably seems horrific mostly because it is. The truth is, this happens to pigs every single day in slaughter houses, but it is still considered acceptable to eat as much bacon as humanly possible. This is one reason why eaters convert to vegetarianism, because they feel like treating living things in such a manner is completely unacceptable, no matter if the animal is a pig or a puppy.... [tags: Meat, Vegetarianism, Slaughterhouse]
1324 words (3.8 pages)
- Why Vegetarianism. A person that is vegetarian does not eat meat from any type of animal, and that includes seafood, but they can eat cheese, eggs and milk. “About 3% of U.S. adults are considered full-fledged vegetarians”.(Hellmich 4). When people think of vegetarians, they think about weak little hippie girls, and they 're all about world peace. Some things might be true, but the majority is so unbelievably untrue. When other people think about vegetarians they mostly think of healthy people which is true.... [tags: Meat, Vegetarianism, Veganism]
1672 words (4.8 pages)
- A person that is vegetarian does not eat meat from any type of animal, and that includes seafood, but they can eat cheese, eggs and milk. “About 3% of U.S. adults are considered full-fledged vegetarians”.(Hellmich 4). When people think of vegetarians, they think about weak little hippie girls, and they 're all about world peace. Some things might be true, but the majority is so unbelievably untrue. When other people think about Vegetarians they mostly think of healthy people which is true. They respect the earth more than meat eaters.... [tags: Meat, Vegetarianism, Veganism]
1668 words (4.8 pages)
- People choose vegetarianism as a lifestyle, diet and trend, and for religious purposes. In the US vegetarianism has only started growing about 20 years ago, this has caused lots of false information to travel around that eventually clouds people’s opinion about being a vegetarian. For instance people don’t believe that a vegetarian diet is as healthy as a diet with meat, but people can get all their nutrients from a diet that doesn’t include eggs and meat. If people don’t the truth about vegetarianism how can they have a valid opinion.... [tags: Healthy Lifestyle Essay]
895 words (2.6 pages)