The current hottest lifestyle trend is being vegan, but is there a downfall? Adults are not the only people becoming vegans, so are children. More and more parents are raising their children to become vegans, but is raising children on veganism actually safe? It is vital that growing children are consuming the proper amount of vitamins. Once an infant turns over six months, iron and vegetables need to be introduced into their diets. Once the infant is over eight months, the parent should introduce protein-rich food. Children need to consume foods with high calories and high nutritional value such as omega 3, vitamin B12 (needed for healthy blood and nerve function), vitamin D, calcium, and iron. Many children being raised on vegan diets are lacking key nutrients; therefore, parents should take proper precautions to make sure their children are getting a well-balanced diet.
The main problem with raising children on veganism is making sure the children are getting a well-balanced diet. According to pediatric dietician, Helen Wilcock,” vegan children are more prone to be deficient in vitamin D, calcium, iron and possibly vitamin B12, so they need supplements” (qtd. in Moorhead). Some parents are forcing their children to be vegans but are not giving the children supplements and vitamins along with the meals. Additional supplements and vitamins are the key ingredients to avoid the children becoming malnourished.
An Italian toddler was taken to the hospital to have an emergency surgery because of a heart condition which was made worse with dangerously low levels of calcium (Rinkunas). The 14-month-old toddler’s parents fed him on a vegan diet without providing supplements; the hospital reported the cas...
... middle of paper ...
...dairy, animal protein and oils are to the development of a child. Dr. Alastair Sutcliffe, a senior lecturer in pediatrics at University College London, recommends that parents should consider raising their children as vegetarian, since children are more vulnerable as vegans.
Nevertheless, parents are going to raise their children however they want; disregarding some of the downfalls of raising a child on veganism. Veganism can be suitable for children, if and only if parents are knowledgeable and provide well-balanced meals along with supplements that the child might lack. If parents do not want to put in the time and effort, then they should consider another lifestyle. Parents thinking about raising children on veganism should consult a nutritionist to get the most out of the vegan diet. To find more information about veganism visit www.vegansociety.com/go-vegan.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Imagine living a life without eating anything with an animal product in it. No meat, fish, milk, eggs, honey, not even gelatin. Vegans are people who adapt a lifestyle where they live without any animal based goods; some do this for the health benefits that come with eliminating meats and dairy. Many become vegan as a way to protest and eliminate animal cruelty which is extremely apparent in the meat industry. A vegan diet is based largely on fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, and soy. Many people would say this is unhealthy, that a person cannot live like this.... [tags: Nutrition, Veganism, Meat, Vegetarianism]
1512 words (4.3 pages)
- The Effects of Veganism The idea of a vegan diet was impossible or impractical for quite sometime, but as time past the idea started grabbing more attention. Veganism is the philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to animals for food or clothing(“Definition of Veganism”). The term “vegan” is use to describe a person who believe in the practice of veganism, they only use or eat plant-based products and no animal products. This plant-based diet is hard to switch to due to the restriction of animal products.... [tags: Nutrition, Veganism, Vegetarianism, Meat]
1599 words (4.6 pages)
- When Adam and Eve were created, the both did not consume any meat instead they had a vegan lifestyle. The bible states that God granted Adam and Eve the privilege to eat plants and herbs (Genesis 1:29). It was then when Adam and Eve partook the forbidden fruit from the tree of good and evil, sin was brought upon the world, and the consumption of meat followed. Humans were not designed to eat meat; thus, meat is not necessary for survival. One will ponder what veganism is. Well, being vegan is like being vegetarian, but on steroids.... [tags: Veganism, Nutrition, Meat, Vegetarianism]
762 words (2.2 pages)
- Some would not be able to live without eating any animal products in their diets, such as, meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy products, and honey. For vegans, however, this is a normal way of life. Vegans are frequently misunderstood as either people who have eating disorders, or an unnatural passion for animal rights. It is time for people to realize that veganism, a challenging yet rewarding lifestyle, goes way beyond being skinny or caring for animals. In reality, veganism can be extremely advantageous to anyone who adapts it as a way of life and has many different benefits that come along with it.... [tags: Nutrition]
958 words (2.7 pages)
- ... This is especially true of males. (1) Each year, more than 5000 teenagers die in motor vehicle accidents. The rate of motor vehicle accidents, both nonfatal and fatal for 16 year olds is almost 10 times higher then drivers 30 to 59 according to the National Highway Safety Administration.(3) The risk of a car crash at 16 is higher than any other age. A 16 year old is three times more likely to die in a fatal crash than someone 20 years old. In 2010, males were two times more likely to die in a motor vehicle accident than females.... [tags: crash, fatal, safe]
599 words (1.7 pages)
- SIAGA Campaigns Within Indonesia The US Agency for International Development also known as USAID implemented a campaign in 1998 into Indonesia in order to promote a 5-year safe motherhood program. This campaign involved the participation of not only USAID but the Indonesian government, the National Family Planning Coordinating Board, and several NGO’s. The campaign was labeled as the ‘Maternal and Neonatal Health Program (MNH)’. This program involved multiple campaigns including Warga SIAGA (Alert Citizen), Suami SIAGA (Alert Husband), Bidan SIAGA (Alert Midwife), and Desa SIAGA (Alert Village) to ensure that women live through pregnancy and childbirth to raise their children.... [tags: women, safe pregnancy]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- Today people are concerned with what they eat in order to lose or maintain their weight. What people do not know is how their food is obtained, how veganism is beneficial to their health and what the food industry thinks of vegans. Veganism is the avoidance of any animal products particularly food. Veganism confronts the issues of animal welfare as well as dietary concerns for humans. It is an effective method to live a healthy and humane lifestyle. In general, the public loves their meat. I mean look at our streets there are McDonalds, Burger Kings, and Wendy’s around almost every corner.... [tags: Nutrition, Veganism, Food, Omnivore]
1056 words (3 pages)
- Making a Home Safe for Children Children often do not understand the dangers around them. Supervision is often the best way to prevent injuries. However, many injuries can be prevented at home by following safety guidelines. Make sure safety guidelines are followed by all people who care for your child. This includes relatives. MEDICINES Read all medicine labels closely before giving medicine to a child. Do this to make sure you are giving your child the correct medicine and dosage. Mistakes can easily be made and may be harmful to your child.... [tags: Health care, Medicine, Health care provider, Burn]
888 words (2.5 pages)
- The question all parents have been chattering about, are vaccinations safe for their children. A vaccine is an injection of a killed or weakened infectious organism in order to prevent a disease. The injection works to stimulate the body's immune system so it can be recognized as foreign, then be destroyed, and "remembered" , so that the antibodies in the immune system can easily recognize and destroy any microorganisms that it later comes across. An antibody is a protein found in the blood. It is produced in response to foreign substances like viruses or bacteria, invading the body.... [tags: medical science, antibodies]
776 words (2.2 pages)
- Veganism can dramatically alter ones life forever, often producing deep emotional changes. Although choosing veganism is a source of great joy, it can also create friction among family and friends. Cultural pressures, the demand for conformity, and the personal desire for acceptance can challenge a vegans confidence and self-esteem. Because vegans so acutely see and feel the suffering of the world, and are at odds with many widely accepted social customs, some will invariably experience occasional bouts of the blues.... [tags: essays research papers]
1796 words (5.1 pages)