Essay PreviewMore ↓
The internet can be used for a number of things such as:
Finding and or sharing information
Sending messages to friends or family
Chatting to people
Playing games and killing time
And much more
But can having this kind of power be a bad thing. I believe that in some cases it is and the internet can be highly dangerous if it is abused or used in the wrong hands. This is because the internet as much of a benefit it may be does have the potential to put other people at risk for anything from physical to psychological harm. People can use the internet to perform illegal activities such as:
Creation of illegal objects or substances
Even though the internet leaves innocent people a potential victim for these crimes I think that having the internet and the advantages it brings is most certainly worth the risk. Some people may not agree as people can be robbed of their money or even killed with children as predominant targets. But what are these crimes and how can this affect me.
What is Cyberstalking?:
According to Wikipedia.com cyberstalking is the act of stalking someone via the means of electronic devices. This incudes online threatening and or harassing behaviour that an individual engages in repeatedly. This is in most cases potentially dangerous only if someone manages to get a hold of your email address otherwise this form of harassment isn't really that much of a problem . If someone is harassing you in a chat room simply leave. I don't believe this crime is a big problem amongst us today. Although some people may be left in uncomfortable situations and in a worried state of mind that this person may eventually catch up with you in the long run.
What is ID Theft?:
Identity theft according to Wikipedia.com is the deliberate assumption of another person's identity, usually to gain access to their finances or frame them for a crime. Less commonly, it is to enable illegal immigration, terrorism, espionage, or changing identity permanently.
How to Cite this Page
"The Pros and Cons of the Internet." 123HelpMe.com. 19 Mar 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Internet is more popular today than it was years ago. As technology advances, the use of the Internet grows yonder and is an amazing addition in our lives. The Internet has been perhaps the most outstanding innovation in the field of communication in the history of humanity. It is a global meeting place where people from all parts of the world can collaborate. Additionally, it is a service available on the computer, through which anyone who has access to the Internet can receive. The Internet is for a business owner, an employee, and a student.... [tags: internet, information technology, ]
1141 words (3.3 pages)
- The Internet is a global system of interconnected computers that connect different networks together and each network communicates the wide range of private, public, business and government sub networks. The creation of internet went back to 1960s where it was developed as a part of the United States military research. Nowadays, internet makes the working hours and its location more flexible than in the past, particularly through the wireless network which supports some devices like mobile phones and laptops.... [tags: Pro Con Essays]
1240 words (3.5 pages)
- Argue that, despite the fact that social networks as the name suggests are meant to connect people for varying reasons. In all respects, this is a very noble reason, however basing their arguments on two online environments, Habbo Hotel and Second Life, both of which are based on the socialization concept, they came up with a verdict that they also contribute to antisocial behaviors as well as rationales for the same. These behaviors ranged from scamming, attacks that were racist/homophobic in nature, sim attacks, and avatar attacks.... [tags: Pro Con Essays]
1046 words (3 pages)
- Positive and Negative Aspects of the Internet The new age of technology was born late last century in the form of the silicone chip. Since this early invention computers have progressed in leaps and bounds from the very basic early models to the now very complicated and very powerful computers of today. In between this growth the Internet developed into a mega market where billions of dollars are traded daily. It is a place where you can pretty much buy and sell anything you can think of. But with the development of such a powerful tool there are always going to be problems such as pornography, hackers, dodgy chat rooms and authenticity of information.... [tags: Pro Con Essays]
799 words (2.3 pages)
- The Pros and Cons of Internet Chat Rooms Computers have affected our lives in so many ways. To the way we finance things, to the way we find our future significant other. The outcomes of computers probably happen with in the last five years, give or take some. It had made people become in love with being in a virtual world and new people. That now in “real” life the people do not know how to act around not virtual people. In this report I plan to take a look at the pros and cons of meeting/talking to people over the net.... [tags: Technology]
819 words (2.3 pages)
- The U.S Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) formed the Internet in 1973. The interknitting project "Internet" was a network connecting computers to each other so they could communicate amongst each other. However the public didn’t really "log on" until the end of 1991, with the population being 4,000,000. With the Internet today, a person could find information about whatever he or she is looking for. This is good because it saves time. Before the Internet, when someone needed to find information, they had to get in their car and drive to the library.... [tags: Pro Con Essays]
591 words (1.7 pages)
- The internet is a vast network of computers that connects many of the world’s businesses, institutions, and individuals. It allows millions of people throughout the world to send and receive messages to each other, share information, and play games (Naughton 4). It was initially designed to aid the government and help people expand academically, but it is now becoming more commercialized and used in ways that it was not made for. The thought of the internet was first introduced in 1960 when the United States Department of Defense was concerned about nuclear warfare and wanted to do what it could to protect America against foreign threats.... [tags: Pro Con Essays]
1885 words (5.4 pages)
- The origins of the internet can be traced back to J.C.R. Licklider of MIT, who wrote a series of memos in August of 1962. “He envisioned a globally interconnected set of computers through which everyone could quickly access data and programs from any site.” (A Brief History of the Internet, 2000). Licklider became the first head of the computer research program at the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA), where the term ARPANET came to be known. The idea behind ARPANET was to connect universities together to be able to share information between them quickly.... [tags: Pro Con Essays]
706 words (2 pages)
- "Beam me up, Scottie." This popular line from Star Trek was a demonstration of the advanced technology of the future. Though it was a fictional story, Star Trek became the universal vision of the future. As always reality tends to mimic fiction. Though our society has not quite resulted to living in space, we have made life easier with technology. Economic survival has become more dependent upon information and communications bringing forth new technology of which was never thought possible.... [tags: Pro Con Essays]
2485 words (7.1 pages)
- The internet as we all know is probably the most useful resource known to man in this day of age. Not only is the internet easy to access its easy to use. Nearly everyone owns a computer and nearly all of which have access to the internet. But isn't that a good thing. Millions of people having the ability to access and share all the information anybody could ever want. The internet can be used for a number of things such as: Research Finding and or sharing information Sending messages to friends or family Chatting to people Playing games and killing time And much more But can having this kind of power be a bad thing.... [tags: Pro Con Essays]
1286 words (3.7 pages)
stealing mail or rummaging through rubbish
eavesdropping on public transactions to obtain personal data
stealing personal information in computer databases through the use of hacking
infiltration of organizations that store large amounts of personal information
impersonating a trusted organization in an electronic communication
Spam. Some, if not all spam requires you to respond to alleged contests, enter into "Good Deals", etc.
These methods can be very persuasive and lead you to believe that what they are doing is legitimate. So be sure to NEVER enter personal information into a computer and if this is done do not keep it available for any other person, the hard drive should also be later then be destroyed to prevent people from later retrieving the information.
www.identitytheftchief.com states that people should be extremely cautious about this matter as the website says that the chances of you having your personal identity stolen are about the same as having an item of personal property stolen.
Although this can create serious problems I don't think because of it the internet should be avoided, because if people were to be educated about ID theft it can be stopped.
What is Fraud?:
Fraud is a crime where someone deliberately deceives or tricks someone in order to take possession of property or receive services unjustly. This can be prevented by not believing all people and by making sure to think things through thoroughly before making a decision to give someone details, money, property or services.
What is Phishing?:
Phishing is the act of sending an email to a user falsely claiming to be the legitimate company directing the receiver of the email to a website that imitates the organisations official website in order to trick people into what they think is updating their personal information such as passwords, credit card, social security and bank account numbers that the legitimate organisation already has. Their information is later used for identity theft. Now this is can be an issue for everybody who has an account that is used through the internet as people can easily be fooled and it is understandable why as the internet sites used for phishing look like the real deal so people think that they are legit. I would recommend not using the internet for dealing with money as it may be convenient but potentially very risky.
What is Spam?:
Spam is messages sent or advertised electronically on the internet. The message usually contains information about great deals or bargains that end up costing more than what the customer anticipated.
What is Piracy?:
Piracy is where copies of software, music or video clips are made and then given away or sold over the internet. This is not necessarily a problem for the users of the internet as it does not create problems for people using it. It is only a problem for software author as they do not receive any payment for the use of the software. The only reason piracy is illegal is because the process is copyright infringement. Technically piracy is not stealing as the author is not being deprived of any item. This is not a hazard on the internet but is however unfair to the creators of the software who deserve money for their work.
But of course the internet is going to look bad if all of the negative aspects of the internet are focused on. And the truth is the internet doesn't overly create many dramas or problems considering all the people that use it on a regular basis. There is more than 1.114 billion people in the world who use the internet. Out of such a large number there is bound to be a few who may find the internet to be a negative attribute towards society today.
Sure the problems on the internet may be very daunting to people but all it means is there is a problem which needs a solution. Certain things maybe done to ensure people are not becoming victims as a result of using the internet. Censorship is a possible solution to most of the problems people encounter through the use of the world wide web. I believe if there was a panel monitoring to a certain extent all the information and websites being uploaded on the internet that it would be extremely hard if not impossible for crooks to rip people off over the net.
All in all I believe that the internet doesn't necessarily create many problems but is more likely spreading paranoia into the views people have towards it. The internet does have some minor flaws but makes up for it with benefits it brings to schools and education, businesses, and to the everyday household.
Identity theft chief.
Wikipedia online encyclopaedia.
Broadway information tech.
Webopedia online encyclopaedia.