Eventually, I realized that was not the right question. The question we should be asking is not how, but why do we make our kids read? At first, the answer I came up with was simple: we want them to read so they can participate in discussions in class that grow their intellectual worlds. If they can do that by reading bite-sized summaries instead of the books themselves - which many fakers can - then maybe we shouldn’t care if they actually read.
I got by for a few more years, not too worried if students were actually reading. I gave a lecture at the beginning of each school year, in which I admitted th...
... middle of paper ...
... of reading great books, to help young people grow by engaging with great thinkers of the past and present. While we will always struggle with reluctant readers, we can encourage an environment that encourages reading on the reader’s terms, to explore whatever connected they are drawn to, whatever thoughts they have. Obviously, students need a foundation in the basics of literary vocabulary and analysis in order to enter a text on their own terms, but those basics can be developed in middle school. In high school, the best use of the English classrooms is as a venue for academic discourse that starts with the book, encourages students to think anything, then moves beyond what they thought because of the book, to refine and develop original ideas about the human experience. That is what literature is for, and no website will ever be able to replace that experience.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... Test one out for reliability by streaming a video and demand, store frequently access files, and run multiple web-acceleration platforms. During the test, each services shouldn't show any interference with one another. Customer Support. A good CDN should be able to provide reliable support 24/7 through phone, email, or live chat. CacheFly CacheFly is one of the fastest CDN available. It promises to accelerate your website for up to 10x. CacheFly was launched in 2002 and houses some of the biggest names in the industry like Adobe, LG, Virgin Gaming, Toyota, Cartoon Network, and Bank of America.... [tags: delivery, internet, website]
890 words (2.5 pages)
- New Social Media Tools For Photographers A round up of other social sites that can help you to achieve your marketing objectives. INSTAGRAM When Facebook acquired the app for $1 billion in cash and stock in April 2012 many stood up and took notice. The social networking service enables users to take pictures and videos, edit them with filters, and share them across a variety of social media. Instagram’s feed is designed specifically for visual stimulation and to encourage interaction. Since its launch in October 2010, 150 million users have signed up and shared a total of 20 billion photos.... [tags: instagram, social sites]
929 words (2.7 pages)
- Cryptography is the study of secure or secret communications. Cryptography has been around for thousands of years. Cryptography has been around for thousands of years. Cryptography deals with authentication, confidentiality, and integrity of data. There are many different implementations of cryptography in information systems. This paper will cover hashing, encryption, digital signatures, and digital certificates. Cryptography dates back as early as the Egyptian Hieroglyphs that were carved into the Pyramids and other Egyptian artifacts.... [tags: study of secret communications]
1296 words (3.7 pages)
- More people can reach one another today than in years past because of social networking sites. The world has become a lot smaller because of sites like Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, and many others. There are certainly many advantages to using these resourceful social networks, such as keeping up with friends and family, sharing photos, and staying up to date with current events. Nonetheless, there is a growing concern about privacy, or the lack thereof, because of these sites. The ability to determine your privacy settings is at times confusing, and at other times, simply misleading.... [tags: Social Network Sites, Privacy, Internet]
987 words (2.8 pages)
- SECURITY AND PRIVATE ISSUES IN ECOMMERCE INTRODUCTION: Privacy means that the control over data and security of one is the attempt to access the data by other unauthorized . These are two critical issues facing by both consumers and e-commerce sites alike. Since the invention of the World Wide Web , electronic commerce based on the Internet has grown from a simple idea into reality. Consumers browse through catalogs , finding the best deals, order goods and pay electronically .... [tags: Privacy, Data Control, Security, Consumer Sites]
1441 words (4.1 pages)
- ... A sales driven affiliate program provides a marketing strategy and complimentary learning tools to inspire and secure sales. For the affiliate this will provide creative ideas and innovative methods to help sell the product. Equipping an affiliate with a tracking counter is also a way for affiliates to gage their success. A recent poll portrayed that affiliates who could monitor their success, were more goal-driven and successful.Trying every software possible to jumpstart your traffic and stimulate your sales is hard due to re-learning each one you use.... [tags: Marketing, Affiliate marketing]
881 words (2.5 pages)
- There is a lot of talk on the web regarding Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and how, if you just do this one thing, you will be at the top of Google. If only it were that easy. In fact, I believe there are seven distinct skills that a search engine optimiser needs to possess. Most people possess one or maybe two of these skills, very rarely do people posses all seven. In truth, to get to all seven, people who are good at two of these need to actively develop the other skills. This takes time and effort and, if you are running your own business, do you really have the time to do this.... [tags: Search Engine Optimization SEO]
1390 words (4 pages)
- Do you ever feel like you are holding someone back if they always have to worry about you. You may feel ashamed or you may not care if they worry for you. In the story, The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd indicates that the character, May, feels like she is holding everyone back. April’s death is a blow to May who starts acting like an immature child. The rest of her sisters, August and June, lived with May in the pink house due to their worry of her sensitivity and empathy towards others in pain.... [tags: The Secret Life of Bees, Secret Life]
1016 words (2.9 pages)
- The Power of Alberto Moravia's Secret It is often considered a great feat when an author is successful in capturing the reader's attention through a character's personality. Alberto Moravia, the pseudonym of Alberto Pincherle, was one such author, since he was widely known for pulling his readers' attention and interest into his stories, ultimately captivating their entire being His lively way with words, his vivid descriptions, as well as his colorful imagination all contributed to his amazing writings.... [tags: Alberto Moravia Secret Essays]
973 words (2.8 pages)
- Joseph Conrad's The Secret Agent: A Critique of Late-Victorian Gender Roles February 15, 1894, was the most interesting afternoon in the otherwise dreary history of Greenwich Observatory. Earlier in the day, Martial Bourdin, a skinny anarchist, traveled by train from Westminster to Greenwich, concealing a small bomb. As he ominously ambled through Greenwich Park, towards the Observatory, something happened - no one knows exactly what - and he blew most of himself to shreds. The British, who loved to quantify in the late nineteenth century, noted that the explosion spread bits of flesh over a distance of sixty yards.... [tags: Joseph Conrad The Secret Agent]
4961 words (14.2 pages)
- The Girl And The Shadow Of Another
- Marine Biologist : The Environment And How We Can Stop Pollution
- Sex, Sexual, And Sexual Behaviors
- Does An Organizational Change Have The Proficiency Of An Effective Conflict Resolution?
- The Epic Of The Ramayana
- Treating Addiction Effectively Through Criminal Justice