I did not do it, I swear. We hear people tell us throughout our lives as we know what they did, but they are people that lie right to us when the truth would not even be as bad as they make it out to be. People lie every day, and some lie so much they don 't see the true reality anymore. Is it a bad thing to lie ? Does lying have a negative effect per lie you tell? Well in Richard Gunderman’s article“Is Lying Bad for Us?” he sure thinks so. Gunderman argues that everyday people lie. Gunderman also state that the more people lie the less of real reality people see and live. Gunderman says if people continue to lie everyday “we end up leading inauthentic and irresponsible lives” (Gunderman). Gunderman feels that people should also be honest. He says “ Whenever possible, however, we should be honest with others and ourselves” (Gunderman). Gunderman may be right, but what are there types of lies? good and bad ones? Stephanie Ericsson takes her readers down this path and shows use all the types of lies people use in our lives in her article “The Ways We Lie”. Ericsson breaks down each type of lie and how they are used and if they should be used in her article. As Ericsson says “We lie. We all do. We exaggerate, we minimize, we avoid confrontation, we spare people 's feelings, we conveniently forget, we keep secrets, we justify lying to the big-guy institutions ”(Ericsson 475). Ericsson tells us how people lie to get out of anything that they don 't countenance. Ericsson ask us “What far-reaching consequences will I, or others, pay as a result of my lie? ” (Ericsson 475). She asks us what consequences do lie give us. Do curtain lies give people a harsher punishment than others? Can lying to someone cause them ha...
... middle of paper ...
... better about one 's selves, but not all of them are for the better. People should not use delusion lie as often as people do in this current time period.
People must think about their life choices and how they chose to take them in. Do people use delusion to make their life choices seem like they are there for another reason, or do people just use deflection and ignore them completely? People know they lie, but now they know what type of lies. Deflection lies are not a good choice and honestly should not be used. It is better to face the truth than run away from it. Delusion lies can be okay. They can be helpful by giving someone the confidence they may need, but they also can be bad and they can be a big lie. Yes it can be beneficial to lie, but as Gunderman said every lie you say does have a negative effect whether it be big or small, and that is just the truth.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Why you Always Lying . I did not do it, I swear. We hear people tell us throughout our lives as we know what they did, but they are people that lie right to us when the truth would not even be as bad as they make it out to be. People lie every day, and some lie so much they don 't see the true reality anymore. Is it a bad thing to lie . Does lying have a negative effect per lie you tell. Well in Richard Gunderman’s article“Is Lying Bad for Us?” he sure thinks so. Gunderman argues that everyday people lie.... [tags: Lie, Truth, Deflection, Debut albums]
1480 words (4.2 pages)
- Growing up, we are always told to never lie because it is the worst thing you could ever do. “Lying will only lead to a horrible situation with less than mediocre results. While lying is not always good, it is not always bad either. Samuel Butler once said “Lying has a kind of respect and reverence with it. We pay a person the compliment of acknowledging his superiority whenever we lie to him. To begin, sometimes it is better to lie rather than telling the truth and hurting someone’s feelings. It is not wrong when you tell a little white lie to keep someone you care about from getting hurt.... [tags: personal reflections, philosophical analysis]
675 words (1.9 pages)
- Lying is an issue that has been debated on for a long time. Some people believe that lying is sometimes ok in certain circumstances. Some people believe lying is always acceptable. In contrast, some believe lying is always bad. Keeping all other’s opinions in mind, I believe that lying is a deficient way of solving problems and is a bad thing. I claim that only certain situations allow the usage of lies and that otherwise, lying is bad. Dishonesty is bad because it makes it harder to serve justice, harms the liar individually, and messes up records.... [tags: bad, weakens justice ]
677 words (1.9 pages)
- The works of Shelly Kagan and Charles Fried will be studied in determining the wrongness of lying. The definition of lying will first be presented followed by the arguments as to why lying is perceived as wrong. It will then be argued that lying is not necessary wrong. Lying involves asserting a claim that one knows as false to the other with the intention to mislead the listener. There is generally a widely accepted constraint against lying. Constraint against lying should not be mistaken with a requirement to tell the truth since no such requirement exists.... [tags: Shelly Kagan, Charles Fried, Wrongness of Lying]
1342 words (3.8 pages)
- Have people ever wondered what it would be like to find out they have a long lost twin sister. In this novel, The Lying Game by Sara Shepard, Emma is thrust into a world where she is not just a lonely orphan living in a foster home, but a twin to a girl she has never met before. Emma and Sutton live in a very different world from each other. Sara Shepard published The Lying Game in 2010, with the help of Alloy Entertainment. The Lying Game is a novel for young adults ages 14 and up with a sense of mystery, thrill, and drama.... [tags: twins, lying game, alloy entertainment]
1271 words (3.6 pages)
- Insurer Bad Faith in California Too many people who have paid premiums to an insurance company for years get an unpleasant surprise when they file a claim under their policies: the insurer’s former friendliness and accommodating attitude give way to suspicion, avoidance and even threats. And it all happens at the very time that the loss which caused the claim is adding stress and anxiety to the insureds’ lives. The “Good Faith” Duty of Insurers California was a leader in recognizing this imbalance of power between insurance companies and their customers, and in rectifying it.... [tags: insurance companies, bad faith attorney]
562 words (1.6 pages)
- Lying is all around us; it never stops, every few minutes another lie is being said. It can either benefit everyone, or it can turn out for the worse. Lying is easily influenced among adolescents, as children, parents have always taught their kids that lying is a horrible habit and should not be encouraged, As the children grow up, they learn from everyone around them, and can’t help but start to lie, making lying no longer a bad habit because they witness the lies that are coming out of everyone’s mouth.... [tags: Lie, Debut albums, 2008 singles, Friendship]
1114 words (3.2 pages)
- 1. If you have to lie to get a promotion that you “deserve” then you don’t really deserve it. I find this to be an example of unethical lying. This is something that could overall harm someone else’s chances of success, you will end up harming someone else in the process. Someone who truly deserves the promotion could be losing their chance to another who may not be as capable. To gain a promotion you must meet certain expectations, and having to lie in order to get the promotion means that you lacked in some area.... [tags: Lie, Ethics, Morality, If You Have to Ask]
724 words (2.1 pages)
- Acting versus lying essay From the start of life we are taught not to lie. As life progresses we learn that honesty may not be the best policy. That is, if getting ahead in life is important. This idea is taught in many ways, one is by acting. Every time an actor/actress is on a set they portray a different character this is evidence that lying is fine as long as it is acting. Movies and plays support that maybe lying is not always bad. The thing is are the different or are they the same. Are we acting when we are lying.... [tags: Acting]
560 words (1.6 pages)
- The Moral Permissibility of Lying Missing Works Cited The question of what constitutes morality is often asked by philosophers. One might wonder why morality is so important, or why many of us trouble ourselves over determining which actions are moral actions. Mill has given an account of the driving force behind our questionings of morality. He calls this driving force “Conscience,” and from this “mass of feeling which must be broken through in order to do what violates our standard of right,” we have derived our concept of morality (Mill 496).... [tags: Morals Philosophy Papers]
3186 words (9.1 pages)