What exactly is gun control? This question is where much of the misconception begins. Many people would reply to this question simply by saying taking away guns. They are correct but this is just a small part of what gun control actually is. The authors of the article, "Does Gun Control Reduce Crime or Does Crime Increase Gun Control?” give a good definition for what gun control is. “Gun control is an umbrella term covering everything from laws prohibiting the ownership of defined classes of firearms to mandating the inclusion of gun locks with every firearm sold.”(Moorhouse) The first step to making a stance on any subject should be to fully understand what all is contained in the issue. In this case many people hear the term gun control and automatically start m...
... middle of paper ...
...urnal 26.1 (2006): 103-124. Business Source Complete. Web. 25 Mar. 2014
Phillips, Scott W., Kim Dae-Young, and James J. Sobol. "An Evaluation Of A Multiyear Gun Buy-Back Programme: Re-Examining The Impact On Violent Crimes." International Journal Of Police Science & Management 15.3 (2013): 246-261. Academic Search Complete. Web. 25 Mar. 2014.
Izadi, Elahe. "The Gun Control Targets: States Where Laws Have Passed." Www.nationaljournal.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Apr. 2014.
Baldwin, Chuck. "Guns Don't Kill People; Gun Control Laws Kill People." Guns Don't Kill People; Gun Control Laws Kill People. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Apr. 2014
Hardy, David T. "Why Gun Owners Are Right to Fight Against Gun Control." Reason.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Apr. 2014.
Alexander, Rachel. "Gun Control Laws Wouldn't Stop Senseless Shootings – They Would Cause More." PolicyMic. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Apr. 2014
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Gun Control is not the Answer, Gun Rights are Merriam-Webster defines gun control as; the regulation of the selling, owning and the use of guns. The high advance of this argument corresponds to the high increase of violence and problems related to firearm use. While some believe that gun control would help eliminate mass shootings and save lives, there are others who know that guns are not the problem. Gun laws are the cause of most violent crimes in America, and they need to be changed to make it easier for Americans to purchase and better protect themselves.... [tags: Firearm, Concealed carry in the United States]
1417 words (4 pages)
- Without a doubt there is a lot of violence in the news today, from school shootings to someone getting murdered almost every day. It's odd though when I hear of these crimes the guns aren't going to jail. It's the people that do the crime that pay the time. Guns and weapons should be available for civilian use. Recent shootings have put gun ownership in question. The most recent massacre was the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting where 20 year old Adam Lanza killed several children and teachers.... [tags: shooting, mental illness, defenseless]
711 words (2 pages)
- Gun control is one of the most hotly debated topics in the United States, with a Gallup poll showing that people are divided approximately in half over the issue. The poll done in January of 2013, shortly after the tragic Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, showed that 38% of Americans wanted stricter gun laws, while 43% were satisfied with the current laws. Only a mere 5% of people were of the opinion that the gun laws should be looser. Although American lawmakers propose tighter gun regulations with every occurrence of a major shooting, such an action would not reduce the number of homicides in the United States.... [tags: Legal Issues, Deadliest shootings, Firearms Policy]
1218 words (3.5 pages)
- A man carrying two revolvers and two 9mm semi-automatic handguns calmly strode into the Dunblane Primary School. Two people quickly spotted the firearms and tried to tackle the man; he shot them and left them wounded as he continued his journey down the hall of the school. Finally, the man reached his destination: the gym, where a class a kindergartners were having P.E. In the gym, he pulled out the guns and started picking off the five-year-olds one by one. The room was splattered with blood as young children broke like porcelain dolls under the power of the gun.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Topics]
1409 words (4 pages)
- "In October 1997, a 16-year old in Pearl, Mississippi, first killed his mother and then went to school and shot nine students, two fatally; in December 1997 a 14-year old went to his school in West Paducah, Kentucky, killed three students and wounded five others; in March last year, two boys, aged eleven and thirteen, killed four girls and a teacher outside their school in Jonesboro, Arkansas; the next month a science teacher was shot dead, allegedly by a 14-year old, at a school dance in Edinsboro, Pennsylvania; last May in Fayetteville, Tennessee, an 18-year old student allegedly shot dead a classmate in the school car park; two days later, in Springfield, Oregon, a 15-year old op... [tags: 2nd Amendment Constitution The Right To Bear Arms]
2300 words (6.6 pages)
- Gun control is a controversial issue that currently has no easy solution to please everyone. In an article written by Adam Winkler, a professor from the UCLA School of Law, he states that open carry is the answer to having fewer guns on the streets. His argument fails because it contains false premises throughout the article and is also inductively weak. First, he commits the slippery slope fallacy by assuming a series of events will occur for doing one action. Second, he commits the bandwagon fallacy.... [tags: concealed weapons, solution]
1666 words (4.8 pages)
- America is the one of the most well-armed nations in the world, with American citizens owning about 270 million of the world’s 875 million firearms (Marshall) In other words America owns more than a quarter of firearms in the world. However, only America has the 2nd amendment which is the right to bear arms. Since this amendment is vague, it is up for interpretation, and is often used by gun advocates to argue for lenient gun laws. Which in turn makes gun control a frequently discussed topic in American politics.... [tags: Firearm, Handgun, Gun, Gun politics]
1463 words (4.2 pages)
- Fewer Laws More Guns Is scary to think about family members or close friends dying innocently because they were victims of a gun shooting. The recent shooting at a 7-Eleven store, across from Cerritos College, has many people talking about gun violence. In America, on of the biggest issue is gun violence. Throughout the years, the gun violence in America has been increasing. Most of the time, the shootings occur at schools, stores and at public places where lots of innocent people get injured or dies.... [tags: Firearm, Gun, Gun violence in the United States]
1569 words (4.5 pages)
- Currently, a well-known issue in America is gun violence. Crime rates are high and massacres are happening all over the country. Adam Lanza killed his own mother before killing twenty children and six adults in Newtown, Connecticut. After his shooting spree, he committed suicide on December 14, 2012. There are many cases similar to this that shows how important it is that do something about all the gun violence happening. Some people believe gun control laws like background checks may be able to lower gun violence by making it difficult for criminals to get them.... [tags: Gun politics in the United States, Firearm]
1005 words (2.9 pages)
- Every day in America two hundred sixty-eight people are shot (“11 Facts”). That adds up to more than ninety-seven thousand people every year. Which means ninety-seven thousand people die an unnecessary and easily preventable death. If there were better gun laws, that number would be zero. It is horrible to think that we can live in a country, a world, where so many people die and are taken from their families so violently. It wouldn’t be difficult to prevent this from happening or at least cutting down the numbers of deaths involving armed weapons to a much lower number.... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
1047 words (3 pages)