The reasoning behind people’s actions can be rooted in either hypothetical imperatives, where good is done as a means to a...
... middle of paper ...
...e outcomes of either situation are the same, being no one shoplifts, the decision made to not shoplift comes through two completely different means. One involves an internal struggle where reasoning with the law is included as well as sense of duty being present, while the other is never tempted so they should not receive moral credit for something they did not internally struggle with and would not have done regardless due to natural circumstances. This is how Kant believes morality comes about, a person must be faced with or challenged with a decision. The challenge must be to make a morally good choice despite natural alignment or desire; they must employ rational and decide against the morally wrong action simply because it is wrong with no other external variables influencing the decision such as the fear of being caught or punished for the morally wrong action.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- People: Good or Evil Many people in the world believe that everyone is either born good or evil. There have been many discussions about this topic that still go on today. Along with the beliefs people are born good or bad are also the belief that people are born with a blank slate, meaning that their environment plays a role in how they turn out. If people are born good, then they are born with a natural affinity towards kindness. If people are born to be bad, then they will possibly be selfish and greedy.... [tags: Evil, Good and evil, Tabula rasa, Human nature]
1181 words (3.4 pages)
- An individual is shaped and molded by how they are treated by those that surround them. Most people value the opinions of those they care about and want to act in accord. Consequently, the choices people make are greatly influenced by the people in their lives. Sometimes, someone will become close with people who are different from each other. Such is the case in Good Will Hunting. Will Hunting (Matt Damon) struggles between the people that created him and the people that discovered him.... [tags: Good Will Hunting Essays]
1448 words (4.1 pages)
- From the time we are born till our death we are always seeking the good life, and for the billions of people on earth, good life can mean many different things.. There are also circumstances in our lives that makes us decide if we are living a good life. For many, having money gives them the greatest joy. While for others becoming educated and giving back to the society is the best life, and there are many more reasons. For me living a good life is about being moral, not pertain to evil and educate myself in order to gain respect from the people around me.... [tags: Ethics, Good and evil, Happiness]
1486 words (4.2 pages)
- All of our hotels are non-conventional, and have a philanthropic community vision.-Pam Janusz, General Manager, Joie de Vivre SoMa Hotels, personal interview, March 5, 2010 (Thompson, Peteraf, Gamble, & Strickland III, 2012). Established in 1987, Joie de Vivre (JdV) is a hotel management hotel located throughout California. By 2010, JdV is the second largest U.S. boutique hotel operator. New owners have recently purchased the hotels that JdV Management Company operates; GM Pam Janusz has the task of preparing the hotels for transitional changes.... [tags: Good Hotel Analysis]
3151 words (9 pages)
- Good v. Evil In today’s world, there are many different opinions and perceptions of what is good and what is evil. The way people think can be different from their neighbor, their parents, their kids, their spouse, etc. The way each individual lives their life is different from the next, their morals, their opinions, and what their opinions are on what is good or evil. This being said, good vs. evil is strictly based off of one’s perspective, according to their religion, political views , and cultural background.... [tags: Religion, God, Good and evil]
722 words (2.1 pages)
- The Significance of the Earth in The Good Earth "And O-lan in the house was not idle. With her own hands she lashed the mats to the rafters and took earth from the fields and mixed it with water and mended the walls of the house, and she built again the oven and filled the holes in the floor that the rain had washed." There can be no doubt that the symbol of earth in Buck's novel, The Good Earth, is one so potent that it permeates and binds the entire tale. It is presented repeatedly throughout the novel, either through gentle allusion or outright statement.... [tags: The Good Earth]
451 words (1.3 pages)
- The Good Mother – A Passive Life "We live in a world...where the decisive deed may invite the holocaust." --John Updike An interesting question that emerges while reading The Good Mother is: Why did Anna let it happen. Of course, this question must be included among many others, most of which elicit ambiguous answers: What really happened. Was there fault to be assigned. If so, who was at fault. What is a good mother. Can a woman be a good lover and a good mother. Where must sexual boundaries be drawn between children and couples in a household.... [tags: Good Mother]
1365 words (3.9 pages)
- Triumph Over Nature in The Good Earth The Good Earth, by Pearl S. Buck, is a tale of a farmer who rises from a commoner to a wealthy land owner. The setting is pre-Revolutionary China, sometime in the 20th century. The story is one of a farmer who becomes a wealthy man through hard work while facing droughts and floods. He becomes very rich, but forgets his true love, the earth, which got him to where he was. The mood of the story is serious. Droughts and floods affect the outcome of crops, which in turn, affect the people who need them to survive.... [tags: The Good Earth]
1709 words (4.9 pages)
- A studious young man, an open book these two images swirl around the screen in a kaleidoscope effect, this was the introductory scene of "Good Will Hunting." This scene is followed by Ben Afflick, knocking on Will's door, when Will comes out a credit rolls by that says, "screenplay written by Ben Afflick and Matt Damon," just as the two walk side by side. This shows how perfectly the makers of this movie have everything timed, down to the credits. Also, the timing shows when the professor's assistant and Will are alone and the assistant tells Will how lucky he is to have someone believe in him as the professor does.... [tags: Film Analysis, Good Will Hunting]
988 words (2.8 pages)
- "As Shen Te stretches out her arms to them in desperation they disappear above, smiling and waving." (Pg. 106 "The Good Woman of Setzuan") The ending of "The Good Woman of Setzuan" leaves the readers a sensation that Shen Te was abandoned by the Gods eternally. Instead of the Gods leaving at the end of the play, they ought to stay in town for fairly longer just to assist Shen Te to resolve all the problems among her and her neighbors. It is reasonable that the Gods must teach the neighbors a lesson for using Shen Te.... [tags: The Good Woman of Setzuan]
289 words (0.8 pages)
- Chuck Berry : The First Rock And Roll Song
- Students Who Work May Show Signs Of Stress More Significantly Than Others
- Palace Of Fatehpur Sikri : The Architecture Of India
- The Fight Against Slavery By Frederick Douglass
- William Shakespeare 's Romeo And Juliet
- Investigating The Factors That Influence Procrastination