What is the internal affairs division and how do they handle misconduct and corruption? The part of the unit known as the internal affairs department is under the inspection unit section. The main job of an internal affairs investigator entails keeping a close eye on department’s policies and procedures by conducting “internal quality control inspections” (Dempsey, Frost, & Carter, 2014) (p. 99). Other duties that one must consider when working in this area of the unit according to (Dempsey, Frost, & Carter, 2014) is to focus on suspected “misconduct and corruption of other officers” (p. 99). They must ensure that all employees within the department are adhering to the rules and conducting themselves in the manner that the sys...
... middle of paper ...
..., the agency will be able to prevent unwanted behavior by making sure newly hired employees are aware of what is expected of them and the proper way to conduct themselves. Training is another preventive measure that can ensure employees are following regulations. It is necessary to continue training if and when protocols are altered or updated. One example of a way to check that new hires understand the rules is through role-playing.
In my conclusion, the internal affairs division is a necessary part of any police department because it helps maintain the integrity of the department. The internal affairs division helps hold officers accountable for their actions by implementing the standards and improving those already in place. It is possible of departments to see a better future with more officers trying to follow directives even when it is tempting not to do so.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... It is important to note that police officers assigned to an Internal Affairs Division do not operate within the mindset of us against them. Many misbehavior acquisitions made against officers that are reported to internal affairs are done so by private citizens who usually had some type of encounter with police. In many instances, reports are made against officers alleging misconduct and after an investigation is conducted, many complaints are found unwarranted. Unfortunately however, there are some officers who exceed the boundaries of good order and discipline, thus leaving internal affairs personnel no choice but to take appropriate actions.... [tags: Police, Criminal justice, Constable]
1529 words (4.4 pages)
- ... Ironically, in this instance the “whistleblower” information that may have effected one unit exposed a much larger issue of retribution and bad acts by several units. “...while few indulge themselves in outright evil and fewer still in righteousness, people are evidently influenced by authority, by apathy, by thoughtlessness, and by their environment (Geuras & Garofalo, 2011, p. 112).The immediate supervisors at every post Griffith was assigned or escaped to participated in the retribution by instigating and allowing the personal slurs, destruction of property, the withholding or denial of benefits, and the refusal of other officers to work with Griffith diminishing his ability to do his... [tags: investigation, retaliation, police]
560 words (1.6 pages)
- Running Head: The corruption in the New Orleans Police Department Although police officers take an oath to protect and serve citizens in our society. we have some officers that our corrupt and willing do anything just to protect themselves from being exposed from their unethical behavior. In 1994 three officers from New Orleans police department committed an unspeakable crime murder for hire and a violent drug gang. The killing of Kim grove a thirty-two years old was gunned down by police officer that were there to protect her instead they killed her.... [tags: Federal Bureau of Investigation, Police]
840 words (2.4 pages)
- Student’s affairs is a department or division of services that provides support for students at institutions of higher education. They help enhance student growth and development throughout the country and abroad. There are many branches of student affairs varying from the dean of students to even the community director at your dorm. The job they do can be stressful at time and can go highly unnoticed at times. They are an integral part of the students life to help them deal with their stress or the hard times from their classes or even their personal life and to make their life at institution easier.... [tags: University, College, Dormitory, American novels]
1096 words (3.1 pages)
- There has been a cost to the new strategy, revealed by steady citizen complaints against more aggressive NYPD officers during the past several years and continuing impunity for many officers who commit human rights violations despite the recent reorganization of both the civilian review board and the police department 's internal affairs bureau. In August 1997, after the alleged torture of Haitian immigrant Abner Louima by police officers made national headlines and outraged city residents, the anti-crime record of the mayor and police department was tarnished.... [tags: Police, Constable, Police brutality]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- If you suspect that your company has been defrauded, then there are a number of steps and options that you can take: 1. Fraud detection and investigation The first important step is to determine if a fraud or any other criminal activity, has taken place. At this moment, you may know for certain or you may have suspicions that fraud has occurred. Sometimes the way people behave, can suggest that they are committing a fraud. These signs are called 'red flags '. • You 've noticed significant changes in somebody’s behavior; • They have financial losses or large personal debts, having the desire to gain; • Audit control find errors or irregularities; • Sometimes, the transactions take place at... [tags: Federal Bureau of Investigation]
707 words (2 pages)
Solving the Issue of Fellow Officers Abusing Their Power and Sometimes Taking the Law into Their Own Hands
- How can police officials solve the issue of fellow officers abusing their power and at times taking the law into their own hands. In the field of law enforcement, it can be difficult to balance what is the right course of action to use based on the criminals and their intentions while being placed under arrest. It is important that officers make all the appropriate precautions so that their decision to implement use of force cannot be miscued as abuse of power. Police officers are on the force to protect and serve that is why it is detrimental for the department, community, and themselves to make the most responsible decision even when they are faced with the worst of circumstances.... [tags: a matter for internal affairs]
952 words (2.7 pages)
- Internal Affairs and Canada's Previous Position on Terrorism A terrorist Tunnel: Issues concerning Canada's borders and the present threat of International terrorism Preface From the FLQ (Front de Liberation du Quebec) crisis to the recent acts of terrorism by Singh Rayet and the Tiger group, terrorism has found a place in Canadian society. Because of this, in the last 50 years, Canada has developed several reactionary policies, and control/Prevention mechanisms to deal with terrorism, including Trudeau's enforcement of the War Measures Act during "Black October" in reaction to internal terrorism, to the more recent development of the CSIS Act (Canadian Security Intelligence Serv... [tags: Papers]
569 words (1.6 pages)
- Internal Resistance Investigation I will conduct the following investigation with the aim to find the internal resistance of a lemon battery, which I will construct myself. The variables that could affect my experiment are as follows: · Size of lemon - I will conduct my experiment in no longer than an hour, allowing me to use the same lemon for all results · Size of metal electrodes - I will use the exact same electrodes throughout the whole experiment · Length of any connecting wires - I will use the exact same wires throughout my experiment and will not break the circuit once I have started collecting data · Resistance in the circuit - I will vary this u... [tags: Papers]
1656 words (4.7 pages)
- External and Internal Factors There are many external and internal factors that impact the planning functions of management. We must all be mindful of these factors because they could have an enormous impact on organizations productivity. The process of assessing the external and internal factors that an organization will face can be vital to the planning function of management. One must determine a set of issues and constraints and then list the assumptions that will impact the implementation of the plan.... [tags: External Internal Factors Management Essays]
1045 words (3 pages)