When conducting an investigation for a criminal case there are many guidelines you would need to follow. A preliminary investigation is an inquiry or proceeding to determine whether there is sufficient ground to endanger a well-founded belief that a crime has been committed. Preliminary investigation is to be conducted before the filing of a complaint or information for an offense where the penalty said by the law is at least 4 years, 2 months and 1 day without mentioning the fine. When investigating a preliminary case officers should approach crime scene and protect, initiate preliminary survey, attend to injured parties first, evaluate physical evidence, prepare narrative description, depict scene photography, prepare sketch, conduct search and record and collect physical evidence. There are roles that should be given when conducting a case, team leader, photographer, sketch preparer, evidence recorder and specialist. At the scene of any crime, accident, or other police incident, the road supervisor present shall assume command (East Haven Police Department). Officers should not proceed to a crime scene unless They are specifically directed to respond. The crime occurs or is discovered within their assigned area of patrol (East Haven Police Department). It is their particular assignment to be generally responsible for conducting such investigations. One strategy that criminal investigators should take in order to conduct an efficient follow up investigation is to interview witness. Interviewing witness some is a strategy that is essential because witnesses sometimes tend to withhold crucial/ viable information that pertains to the case because they may feel it is irrelevant or unimportant to the investigation. When interviewin...
... middle of paper ...
...citizens where the perpetrators were last seen, what they have done, the crimes they committed, and so forth. It is basically a public access on backgrounds for criminals. Even criminal areas are release through the media. Having access to these things can allow the citizens to look out for the perpetrators and report them to 911. I believe that the FOMA is a great way to monitor the criminal activity in their community. Releasing the privacy of people is also a good idea, because people can know what that criminal is capable of.
In conclusion criminal investigators will need to follow a set of guidelines on conducting preliminary investigations. Criminal investigators must use a good strategy in order to follow up on a criminal case. Lastly criminal investigators process should maintain the balance of regarding freedom of information.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- When conducting an investigation for a criminal case there are many guidelines you would need to follow. A preliminary investigation is an inquiry or proceeding to determine whether there is sufficient ground to endanger a well-founded belief that a crime has been committed. Preliminary investigation is to be conducted before the filing of a complaint or information for an offense where the penalty said by the law is at least 4 years, 2 months and 1 day without mentioning the fine. When investigating a preliminary case officers should approach crime scene and protect, initiate preliminary survey, attend to injured parties first, evaluate physical evidence, prepare narrative description, de... [tags: Police, Crime, Criminal law, Crimes]
1116 words (3.2 pages)
- Assemble a set of guidelines on conducting preliminary investigation for a criminal case. When there is a criminal case, are a set of guidelines a criminal investigator should follow when conducting a preliminary inquiry. These guidelines consist of arriving to a crime scene in a timely manner just in case the suspect may still be at or near the scene (Hess, K.M & Orthmann, C.H., 2013). They will need to take care of any injured person or people that may need emergency care. Check to see if there are any witness seen what had happen.... [tags: Crime, Police, Criminal law, Assault]
985 words (2.8 pages)
- “The investigation of [a]crime encompasses the collection of information and evidence for identifying, apprehending, and convicting suspected offenders” (Osterburg). Many things may come to mind when an investigation is mentioned, such as TV shows of Law and Order, CSI and Criminal Minds. The realities of an investigation though differ from these TV shows immensely. In reality, there are certain responsibilities an investigator must go through to achieve the evidence needed to prosecute the offender and close the case successfully.... [tags: crime scene, investigator, case evidence]
1315 words (3.8 pages)
- All my life growing up I’ve heard police stories from my grandfather and uncle about good guys catching bad guys. Police work isn’t always so black and white like I thought when I was a kid, Sometimes you have to work with the bad guys to catch the “badder” guys. The use of confidential informants is a valuable tool to many law enforcement agencies and more importantly for crimes associated with narcotics. Informants have the ability to gather information that would otherwise be unable to gather from law enforcement personnel.... [tags: investigation, informants]
614 words (1.8 pages)
- Today is September 8th. I arrived at the Criminal Investigation Unit at 5:58 pm and left at 11:30 pm. First thing I did was to turn in the case list of the cases I reviewed last week to Lieutenant Culberson, and then I assigned three pending cases to its corresponding detectives. Detective Robinson was on his way to see an individual in the hospital that was involved in an aggravated assault case that occurred last night. We arrived at the Emory Hospital and met with the aggressor. He claimed he was defending himself from the lady who told the officer last night she was punched in the face.... [tags: Police, Crime, Criminal Investigation Department]
1333 words (3.8 pages)
- Guilty or Innocent: Atlanta Missing and Murdered Children Case Synopsis The Atlanta missing and murdered children case is a series of murder cases which took place in Atlanta, Georgia between the periods of 1979-1981. During which twenty-nine African- American children were murdered as well as young adults. The victims, mostly black Americans were found asphyxiated; some were believed to have been sexually abused. This terrifying string of murders left the city of Atlanta astonished and on high alert.... [tags: Criminal Investigation]
1847 words (5.3 pages)
- The case is taking place in Las Vegas, United States of America. One morning, Tony Braun was found dead by the gardener of the house. The case has an appearance of a complete suicide. The body of Tony Braun is found in the living room in a laying position next to the couches. At the first look, there is no signs of any struggle or any other signs that could suggest murder. Investigators found a Xanax box, a prescription drug that is mainly used for anxiety disorders, laying near the body. There are no pills remaining in the box.... [tags: criminal justice, solution]
2239 words (6.4 pages)
- Constructing a set of guidelines on managing the preliminary investigation for a criminal case is very important as it gives a baseline for officers to follow to help prevent errors in the investigation. According to Hess and Orthmann (2010), “The initial response is crucial to the success of an investigation. Although it is popularly believed that cases are won or lost in court, more cases actually are lost during the first hour of an investigation … than in court” (p. 14). After containing the incident, officers upon arrive will begin examining the scene by taking photographs, sketches or videos.... [tags: Prelimininary Inverstigations, Guidelines, Crime]
1088 words (3.1 pages)
- Research Project Outline I. Crime Scene Investigation a.} Crime Scene Evidence b.} Police Evidence c.} Forensic science d.} Hazards Crime Scene Evidence II. Due Process-Search and Seizure: a.} Washington State Supreme Court a.a} Effects of Criminal investigations b.} Local Criminal Trials c.} Significance of the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 14th Amendments on Criminal Investigations d.} Probable Cause d.a} Discovery Doctrine d.b} Exclusionary Rule e.} Plain View Searches f.} Search Warrants *(ev∙i∙dence) 1.... [tags: Crime Scene Investigation]
2503 words (7.2 pages)
- Closing the Case 3 Closing the case: A glimpse at the Rubik's Cube that is Criminal Investigation In order to understand what crime is and how it has evolved we must define/analyze crimes in depth. Understanding law enforcements role is key to gaining insight about criminal investigation, Two crimes stand out above the rest and impact every community nation wide.... [tags: drugs, law enforcement, crime, DEA]
1387 words (4 pages)