... middle of paper ...
...s against unexpected demand and lead time increases that may cause stock outs (Bidgoli, 2010). Lastly, management of transportation inventory comprising of inbound and outbound stocks that have not yet reached their point of delivery (Wisner & Stanley, 2007, p. 180). Inventory management is a crucial step in securing an efficient and effective supply chain flow and material flow in an organization. However, inventory management system to be adopted is relative to the needs and nature of business activities of the organization. Given the many types of inventories to be managed, the processes of handling inventories are all integrated in the four fundamental phases of supply chain management. Thus, organization should evaluate their inventory management needs first before selecting the inventory management system to be adopted to ensure effective and efficient outcomes.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Inventory management system has been practiced in many organizations from various industries. Given the diverse and multi-layered supply chains handling different inventories, organizations utilizing inventory management system can still manage efficiently and effectively their supply and demand flow within crucial transactional activities. In the following discussions, this paper examines the concept of inventory management, different inventory types and inventory management processes, and the function criteria to be considered when selecting inventory management system.... [tags: Supply chain management, Supply chain, Inventory]
1033 words (3 pages)
- After almost 50 years of operation, Best Buy is the leading retailer of consumer electronics, mobile phones, computers, appliances, televisions, digital imaging, and entertainment products. The company operates online retail and retail stores under the name Best Buy and owns Geek Squad, Magnolia, Five Star, Future Shop and Pacific Sales. The company has two segments. A Domestic segment which is composed of its operations in the United States; and international which is composed of its operations in Canada, Mexico and China.... [tags: best buy, entertainment products, electronics]
1788 words (5.1 pages)
- Inventory Management Meals on Wheels follows a food service system which involves: purchasing food ingredients to the production facility, preparing the recipes, making the recipes, storing of chilled and frozen products, and then sending the meals out to be delivered. This means that the planning process is one of the most crucial steps when obtaining materials. The production planning team is responsible for estimating demands, as they are constantly viewing how many clients need what food, during which days (Forster, 2016).... [tags: Inventory, Supply chain management terms, Food]
860 words (2.5 pages)
- User requirements will allow the WASP barcoding system to improve its inventory management, shipping logistics, manufacturing processes, and customer service communication. Current manufacturing processes will need to be modified in order to support the proposed changes to the Inventory Management and Control segment, while minimizing impact to employees and customers. And the proposed enhancements to the Inventory Management and Control segment that need to be supported by the WASP barcoding system will be Raw Material Receiving, Manufacturing with Inventory, Final Product Shipping.... [tags: Case Study, Business, Analysis, solution]
1369 words (3.9 pages)
- Executive Summary The current inventory processes we have in place are not as efficient as they could be. The main problem is there is no communication between departments, factories, and suppliers. This causing an abundance of wasted man hours, and inventory produced. Our goal is to provide more communication between departments, factories, and suppliers to create more efficiency and produce less waste. We would need a complete system overhaul in our inventory system. Based on our analysis we would need a new inventory management system, and we would also need to create an extranet system to communicate between departments and suppliers.... [tags: Business Analysis ]
1270 words (3.6 pages)
- My company is always searching for methods that will help companies become more efficient. Recently, I had the privilege of attending a Microsoft conference that introduced Nike’s Chairman, President and CEO, Mark Parker as the guest speaker. Apparently, due to, demand fluctuations and stiff competition, Nike now has an abundance of excess inventory. Upon hearing this startling revelation, I immediately thought about the Adapting Supply Chains to Tough Times, case study I read the other day. However, the problem that I discovered with Nike is that it has multiple locations, that all have different inventory needs.... [tags: Supply chain management, Inventory, Supply chain]
1298 words (3.7 pages)
- The first and one of the most important concepts in this case to understand is inventory management and the objectives of good inventory management . Inventory management can be defined as “the practice of overseeing and controlling the quantities of finished products for sale” (“Inventory Management,” n.d.). Thus, in relation to this case, inventory management is the practice of overseeing and controlling the various amounts of food and drinks for sale. Good inventory management is crucial for the overall success of Wegman’s and every other business entity’s operations.... [tags: Inventory, Costs, Cost, Management]
829 words (2.4 pages)
- 2.3 Definition of Terms Asset – Equipment that is utilized, but not consumed, in the production of goods or services supporting the program mission. An asset is a resource controlled by the enterprise as a result of past events and from which future economic benefits are expected to flow to the enterprise. Damage – A condition that impairs either value or use of material; may occur in unpredictable degrees. Material may be damaged in appearance or in expected useful life without rendering it unserviceable or less useful.... [tags: Inventory, Supply chain management, Warehouse]
1519 words (4.3 pages)
- Executive Summary The Purpose of this report is to analyze the current situation of Purchasing & Inventory Management, and identify the operational problems within the organization and to develop the set of recommendations that would help organization to have effective and efficient process for the purchasing of material and inventory management by applying the relevant principles of Operational management theories and models. The company Brisbane Outdoor was established by Mr. Donald Saxon and expanded the business with the help of acquisition of other outlets, he has developed the independent structure of management within all three outlets, that has been run by the experienced staff, his... [tags: Management, Inventory, Laissez-faire]
1103 words (3.2 pages)
- Before Royal Akers died in an airplane crash he took over Goodstuff, a rival discount store. He also had the company 's new Inventory Control Software, a integrated logistic system(ILS), installed to manage all of the company 's supply chain. The new software errors and the shortage of truck, due to having to deliver to the newly acquired Goodstuff stores, were not working according to plan. He died before the problems in the supply chain became grave. All members of the family were stockholders of the company each having voting rights.... [tags: Logistics, Supply chain management, Supply chain]
1132 words (3.2 pages)